• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
She still might come out of it smelling of roses, though. Not sure if anyone wants to take over with the country and politicians so divided.
2010, and to a lesser extent, 2017, were considered by many to be "good elections to lose". Depending on what happens in the next couple of years, 2022 too could fall into this category.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
What it would do is give enough time for the technological solution (which Barnier has also spoken up in favour of) to be implemented and tested.
Yes, it does seem to me this is really just a delaying agreement. Which is probably necessary, but likely unacceptable to the ERG.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it does seem to me this is really just a delaying agreement. Which is probably necessary, but likely unacceptable to the ERG.
The ERG needs to think long term.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
This whole sorry saga just shows that politicians on all sides only have their own power grabbing thoughts, Not what's in the best interest of the UK but keeping themselves in power, You have the Tories looking out only for themselves and you have Labour hoping it all goes tits up so they'll be in power so screw the people because this lot don't give a stuff Totally ashamed of the lot of them

Last edited:

ExeterCityLad

40 ERG very likely to vote against, I hope the other 40 at least abstain. I will be bitterly disappointed if they back the Government with this massive betrayal. Ideally the cabinet will tell her how bonkers and crazy this is for the country, democracy and the Conservative party and she'll go back to the EU and simply say this isn't good enough.

The 50+ MPs who have pledged to #StandUp4Brexit, have said they will vote against anything other than the Lancaster House Speech.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ERG needs to think long term.
As demonstrated by their representative on here, it seems unlikely.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As demonstrated by their representative on here, it seems unlikely.
I think JRM himself (despite what he said yesterday) is pragmatic enough to consider his position on this, not sure about some of the others though.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
40 ERG very likely to vote against, I hope the other 40 at least abstain. I will be bitterly disappointed if they back the Government with this massive betrayal. Ideally the cabinet will tell her how bonkers and crazy this is for the country, democracy and the Conservative party and she'll go back to the EU and simply say this isn't good enough.

The 50+ MPs who have pledged to #StandUp4Brexit, have said they will vote against anything other than the Lancaster House Speech.
What time does May have to go back to the EU and say it isn't good enough? I know you've got a stiffy for no deal but you've got to imagine if they're going to keep talking it over they're going to extend the deadline

I think JRM himself (despite what he said yesterday) is pragmatic enough to consider his position on this, not sure about some of the others though.
Yeah uh he's low key calling for a leadership election I don't think long-term planning is where we're at with JRM

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
OK, popcorn time: Cabinet members now arriving at no 10. Just been for a walk near there. A helicopter is circling overhead.

ExeterCityLad

What time does May have to go back to the EU and say it isn't good enough? I know you've got a stiffy for no deal but you've got to imagine if they're going to keep talking it over they're going to extend the deadline
Doesn't take long to go back and say 'Ok, we accept the deal you offered us 8 months ago', quickly get it all in writing and have it done for a December summit.

In addition to that - I've just found a lot of cool graphs for those of you who love stats and graphs as much as I do.

https://theblueanchor.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/the-graphs-that-demolish-remain/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.