• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
In their resignation letter, they've said they will support the government on a number of issues (so yes, probably the non-Brexit ones).
Kinda reinforces for me how much of this (with both ex-Labour and ex-Tory MPs) is just posturing. I don't see how their votes will be practically any different from how they've been the last 2 years - they'll vote with their old party on basically everything and rebel where they already rebelled.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Meanwhile George Galloway has confirmed he has applied to rejoin Labour.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda reinforces for me how much of this (with both ex-Labour and ex-Tory MPs) is just posturing. I don't see how their votes will be practically any different from how they've been the last 2 years - they'll vote with their old party on basically everything and rebel where they already rebelled.
I think with Berger it goes deeper (I've seen screenshots of some of the ridiculously vile anti-Semitic stuff she received upon resigning), but yes, I generally agree it's largely about posturing.

Anyway the search begins for candidates in Broxtowe, South Cambridgeshire and Totnes.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course, one assumes that they were in those parties in the first place because they agreed with the majority of their policies, so this isn't unexpected.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
They are the first, not the last;

On #PoliticsLive, asked whether Soubry, Wollaston and Allen have made to him the argument that he needs to leave the Tory party, @DrPhillipLeeMP responds: “Oh, it’s a much longer list than that. There are ministers in the government who are considering it.” Wow.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
3 years ago today Cameron announced the referendum in an attempt to bring his party together. Went well didn't it ?

arthur

Pure Maybot:

I am saddened by this decision – these are people who have given dedicated service to our party over many years, and I thank them for it.

Of course, the UK’s membership of the EU has been a source of disagreement both in our party and our country for a long time. Ending that membership after four decades was never going to be easy.

But by delivering on our manifesto commitment and implementing the decision of the British people we are doing the right thing for our country. And in doing so, we can move forward together towards a brighter future.

I am determined that under my leadership the Conservative party will always offer the decent, moderate and patriotic politics that the people of this country deserve.

In contrast, I thought their letter was rather good:

The final straw for us has been this Government’s disastrous handling of Brexit.

Following the EU referendum of 2016, no genuine effort was made to build a cross party, let alone a national consensus to deliver Brexit. Instead of seeking to heal the divisions or to tackle the underlying causes of Brexit, the priority was to draw up “red lines”. The 48% were not only sidelined, they were alienated.

We find it unconscionable that a Party once trusted on the economy, more than any other, is now recklessly marching the country to the cliff edge of no deal. No responsible government should knowingly and deliberately inflict the dire consequences of such a destructive exit on individuals, communities and businesses and put at risk the prospect of ending austerity.

arthur

I think with Berger it goes deeper (I've seen screenshots of some of the ridiculously vile anti-Semitic stuff she received upon resigning), but yes, I generally agree it's largely about posturing.

Anyway the search begins for candidates in Broxtowe, South Cambridgeshire and Totnes.
Are you going to put your name forward?

arthur

There is of course the chance for the Labour independents to uphold party policy regarding a referendum, something the supreme leader is extraordinarily reluctant to do

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The irony that the TIGs are largely the "People's Vote" mob and yet are denying their constituents a vote to agree about their change of party has not been lost on many...!

I agree anyway that the 11 will not be the last (on either side). From our benches my expectation would be to see Lee, Grieve and Greening go in the short term at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.