• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gate Prices 2014-2015

SezLez

If you are Guy, then the fact that you won't listen to the majority of the posts who are dead against it, just smacks with arrogance.
I have emailed Guy myself and challenged him on the arrogance issue. He seems oblivious to it and the only conclusion I can come to is that he doesn't have a clue about how an ecfc fan feels or their circumstances. Come on Guy - get real.

rowbotham8990

OK, the numbers were illustrative only - but surely giving it a go and seeing what happens for one game wouldn't hurt?
I remember reading an article once, I even think 'friend of ECFC' David Conn might have written it, about matchday economics, and how most fans' view of 'slash the ticket prices, fill the ground' doesn't really work, or is at least very risky. I'll see if i can find it.

Just to be clear, I believe ALL football is too expensive. I think once the cheapest full price ticket in the ground for a League 2 football match is £20, which is clearly where we're headed, could represent a watershed moment.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
You could have fever flogging tickets in her skimps on old tiverton rd
*makes notes for selling the next issue of the fanzine*

Anyhow, the key question (as I've now thrashed to death) is whether there should be differential between advance and matchday prices. That is the key point of change that, in my humble opinion, needs to happen at SJP.
I don't have a problem with there being discounts on advance sales whether season tickets or a deal nearer the time, but what you haven't thrashed to death is that the club are trying to pressure people into buying in advance by increasing pay on the gate prices to unjustifiable levels. Season tickets and/or advance purchases aren't suitable for everyone.

You only have to look at the Portsmouth game with Flybe tickets coming in at £30 if you bought on the day but normal price if bought in advance. The attendance wasn't exactly massive.

Last edited:

Redporky21

As for 'the causal fan won't have any interest in booking early. I can see why the club might want them to commit early but it shows a complete disregard for the interests of the fan', I couldn't disagree more vehemently. The casual fan wants a deal to bring them in. And an incentive does that, putting money right back in to the fan's pocket. How come that's not in their interest?

However, turn up last minute, then the full price is due and the discount disappears. On this basis, many will change and will go for the incentive.
I honestly cant see how this will work in football, if you listen to most of the people on this thread you will see that the majority of people dont make there mind up to go to the game on the day and then find out that the price is alot higher than it was. If you think they will learn to book in advance the next time then your wrong, because most of the people cant be bothered to have to book in advance especially if they dont know that they are going as alot of people do whatever there friends are doing (for the younger generation anyway).

Also in regards to not wanting to do adverts in E&E or other forms of media is beyond me as you dont just want to target people who have been before, you want to target new customers.

I would love your opinion on how you think season ticket holders are getting a great deal by comparing it to match day price when the club intend to have all the tickets sold in advance at the discounted price. As a season ticket holder i dont feel i am getting my '9 games free'?

Anyone for a boycott? Would be nice to see the smarmy ****** Wolfie panic.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
An interesting piece here, written 5 years ago, mainly in relation to Coventry City, but including some general points. Most interestingly, the writer seems to point to performance on the pitch as being a bigger factor in attendances than ticket pricing. Hmmmm.....

SezLez

An interesting piece here, written 5 years ago, mainly in relation to Coventry City, but including some general points. Most interestingly, the writer seems to point to performance on the pitch as being a bigger factor in attendances than ticket pricing. Hmmmm.....
Good post and an interesting read. Perhaps Mr Tisdale should read this and take note!

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
I am truly appalled at this marketing.

Firstly promoting the season ticket price as saving you so much before you have published attendance costs (both pre-booked or on the day) is simply disingenuous, by which I mean not honest and sincere business practice.

Secondly, comparing..... feck........!!!!

I'm so angry that I am going to leave the rest of my powder for another day.

Pathetic.

& Stupid.

Count me out.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
"before you have published attendance costs" refers of course to costs for individual matches. Grrrrrrrr!!!!.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would I pay for a ticket in advance, when there is every chance something could stop me from attending and as with any event including footie matches, if you are unable to go, then you lose out.

So then my option is to pay more on the day, well you know what you can do with that idea.

You are so out of touch with how League 2 footie fans, in fact any footie fan thinks, it is unreal.

There are a lot of fans who do decide to go on the day, say for instance, their footie match has been postponed is normally one idea. Others end up having the time off at short notice.

If you are Guy, then the fact that you won't listen to the majority of the posts who are dead against it, just smacks with arrogance.

You need to concentrate on cutting costs off the field and not pi**ing more fans off by ripping em off.

Back someone into a corner over pricing and there's more chance of them not attending, than attending.
Exactly right. I have been both a walk-5-minutes-to-the-Ground City fan and now am a schlep-300-mile- round-trip City fan. There are a myriad of reasons why you may hope to make a game whether you are local or not but then something happens in the week before / on the day to mean you can't make it. The creeping spread of buy tickets in advance that other clubs offer has long been a bug-bear and now we are joining them.

On the flip side, how is the "I am at now a loose end on Saturday afternoon" fan going to be attracted by a £20 -£29 charge to pop down to the Park.

It is a crackers decision. Even with all our struggles at home this season, our group of promising young layers deserve better than this alienation of fans.

By the way how much is it to watch the Chiefs - in advance and POTD?