• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gashead In Peace

Tis irritates me at times, but I do have the sense
Northampton at Sixfields, tends to be a different animal than Northampton playing away from home. Their manager is someone who I respect. I expect them to do well this season.

As you may expect, our odds have gone up after yesterday's defeat. 50/1 to win the league outright. An each way bet pays out on 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Call me stupid, but I've lumped on. What an idiot!

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
The odds are irrelevant. We may have a good season but imo we won't be anywhere near winning the league.

Terryhall

The odds are irrelevant. We may have a good season but imo we won't be anywhere near winning the league.
Agree with that. Talk of us winning the league is pie in the sky. I think 3-0 was an unfair reflection on Saturday's game (or at least, it was based on the one-eyed Radio Devon commentary) but it does show that teams are able to set up in a way to shut us out of games - swarm the midfield areas, make sure Oakley / Harley don't get the time or space to dictate the game, defend deep and hit us from set pieces. It doesn't take a lot of homework to see how to hurt us and Northampton executed their game plan very well and we were well beaten as a result. Northampton also has quite a small pitch I believe, so this plays to their strengths.

They won't be the only team to do that to us this season - what I found very refreshing was the change at half-time to stretch the play as wide as possible and counteract Northamptons game plan - which worked to a degree as it seemed to be a much more even contest in the 2nd half.

I'd say that if we can avoid the usual 10-12 game winless run which we have seeminly hit in each of the last few seasons at some point, we have a decent chance of making the playoffs, and if we do get to the playoffs, then on our day we have as good a chance as anyone else.

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not so sure guys, we can play much better than we did on Saturday, I think we will be there or thereabouts. We have got depth now and it's a long season. I left Sixfields pretty deflated, but after watching the highlights on Grecian Player again, we weren't as bad as I thought......let's see how the likes of Northampton get on when playing other teams who play the same as them, there are quite a few in our division, and they will all take points off each other. If we stick to our principles we will surely improve on last season as we definitely have a stronger squad

Gas Go Marching In

Yeah, think some of you are going overboard in your criticism. Having watched Northampton against us, they are a big physical side. You are a good footballing side. Sometimes when the two meet you can get a bit of a hammering either side. Good luck tonight.

Yeah, think some of you are going overboard in your criticism. Having watched Northampton against us, they are a big physical side. You are a good footballing side. Sometimes when the two meet you can get a bit of a hammering either side. Good luck tonight.
Sadly, your comment above sums up this forum :(

Terryhall

Sadly, your comment above sums up this forum :(
If by that you mean that opinions from all sides of the spectrum are posted and discussed, then I agree it does sum up this (or any) forum.

Some posters think we'll win the league - others think that is excessively optimistic and have slightly lower expectations for the season. I don't see my post as being overboard in criticism any more than I see your joint posts as being overboard in their sycophancy - it's just a different view that's there to be discussed.

If by that you mean that opinions from all sides of the spectrum are posted and discussed, then I agree it does sum up this (or any) forum.

Some posters think we'll win the league - others think that is excessively optimistic and have slightly lower expectations for the season. I don't see my post as being overboard in criticism any more than I see your joint posts as being overboard in their sycophancy - it's just a different view that's there to be discussed.
I wasn't referring to you, or anyone specifically. You have to admit though, this forum has developed a very negative lean over the years. Thanks mainly to a few bully boys frightening off anyone who chose to back the manager. I understand that the biggest bully has now been banned (Grecian Jay). In my opinion, his banning was long over due, and it may make more genuine fans want to return to Exeweb to voice their views again.

ECFC traveller

I wasn't referring to you, or anyone specifically. You have to admit though, this forum has developed a very negative lean over the years. Thanks mainly to a few bully boys frightening off anyone who chose to back the manager. I understand that the biggest bully has now been banned (Grecian Jay). In my opinion, his banning was long over due, and it may make more genuine fans want to return to Exeweb to voice their views again.
I don't think you can class anyone as a 'bully' on here. Silly thing to say.