• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

JGrecian23

What kind of "groundwork" could he have laid that you'd become aware of if he had done it?
I've posted it all before, go back and look if you're bothered. Only so many times you can try and communicate with people with their heads buried in the sand refusing to think the manager is to blame for anything.

Had it all with Tisdale and same again now. Ironically the ones who defended Tisdale the most are now on the other side begging for Caldwell to go. Funny world.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
You seriously contend he's weakened his negotiating position because he said we'll definitely sign a striker?!

I think that's absolute nonsense. Notwithstanding I don't suppose for a minute other clubs are poring over what our manager might / might not have said in a press conference, let's assume they are...

If they hear GC is definitely signing a striker from somewhere then they might be led to believe he's not desperate to sign their striker. Conversely, if he'd said he had no idea if we'd be able to sign a striker that would have reeked of desperation and might, conceivably, have pushed the price up.

There are a number of things for which GC can be criticised IMO, but saying 'well definitely sign a striker' ain't one of them!
There is no need to say it unless he already has someone signed but it hasn't been announced. Otherwise let's assume we have reached the last few hours of the window. If we are still negotiating hard for player X, the sellling club and the agent (unless they are particularly stupid which wont be the case) have us over the proverbial barrel given at that point their player is almost certainly our last chance saloon. Yes we can walk still walk away but in reality the selling club know we cant and as I say the price will go up. Given we have experienced 'done' deals falling through at the last minute the statement was at best misguided unless as I say someone is already in the building but we dont know it yet (would love to think that was the case but just can't see it)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is no need to say it unless he already has someone signed but it hasn't been announced. Otherwise let's assume we have reached the last few hours of the window. If we are still negotiating hard for player X the sellling club and the agent (unless they are particularly stupid which wont be the case) have us over the proverbial barrel given at that point their player is almost certainly our last chance saloon. Yes we can walk still walk away but in reality the selling club know we cant as as I say the price will go up.
Give us answers, not like a politician! No, not like that, our need for a striker is commercially sensitive! Jesus wept.

Don't get all the anti young player/anti Scottish stuff. Our better players have been young loanees or from the Scottish leagues. A striker of equivalent quality to Demetri Mitchell or Vil Sinisalo would be absolutely fine by me
It is not anti anything, merely a prediction.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give us answers, not like a politician! No, not like that, our need for a striker is commercially sensitive! Jesus wept.
Who do you want answers from? Me or Gary and about what?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who do you want answers from? Me or Gary and about what?
I'm saying that some people are complaining about a lack of transparency and straight answers to straight questions, others (sometimes the same people, probably), worried he's giving away secrets. If any club doesn't already realise we're pretty sweaty about getting a striker in, then the best of luck to them.

Reactions: Egg

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm saying that some people are complaining about a lack of transparency and straight answers to straight questions, others (sometimes the same people, probably), worried he's giving away secrets. If any club doesn't already realise we're pretty sweaty about getting a striker in, then the best of luck to them.
A lack of transparancy isnt the issue or whether GC is straight talking. It's that he has put himself in a position he didnt need. There can be no guarantees if you are Exeter City in getting a striker in if the last windown is anything to go by. If he continued the same narrative about continuing to talk to tagets and clubs and then he still didnt recruit at least he can try and point the finger elsewhere and say he tried his best but we lost out on 25 targets etc. By saying we will definately get in a striker he has nowhere to go if he does miss out on all his targets. After all he has said many times he wont bring anyone in for the sake of it.

JGrecian23

Calm down Edwin. You are like a one man/woman crusade getting all anxious and angry about anyone saying anything negative about the club.

Chill out. Everyone here wants Exeter City to do well. No agendas, just different opinions on how that should be done.

Have a mint Baileys and chill out.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
A lack of transparancy isnt the issue or whether GC is straight talking. It's that he has put himself in a position he didnt need. There can be no guarantees if you are Exeter City in getting a striker in if the last windown is anything to go by. If he continued the same narrative about continuing to talk to tagets and clubs and then he still didnt recruit at least he can try and point the finger elsewhere and say he tried his best but we lost out on 25 targets etc. By saying we will definately get in a striker he has nowhere to go if he does miss out on all his targets. After all he has said many times he wont be any one in for the sake of it.
Ben Seymour is sat in the Services just outside Exeter 👀 🕒 ✍ 😜

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Calm down Edwin. You are like a one man/woman crusade getting all anxious and angry about anyone saying anything negative about the club.

Chill out. Everyone here wants Exeter City to do well. No agendas, just different opinions on how that should be done.

Have a mint Baileys and chill out.
Mint Baileys hahaha