• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Bat Fastard

Quietly letting two players move on because they are no longer core members of the first team but simply useful squad members does not constitute anything remotely like a disaster. Would you rather preserve the group that won promotion as far as possible, or seek to refresh and improve the squad by letting go those who are past their best and bringing in those whose best is yet to come? (Pretty basic football management I'd have thought). Or maybe go full Cowshed Grecian and build a squad formed almost entirely of ex players? :cool:
Nah not a disaster and definitely can’t judge the window after 9 days! Just losing mj/Matt Taylor and Tim dieng over a couple of months, with the prospect of losing key/nombe/brown etc. shortly after is a slightly alarming prospect. We have a successful side clearly which isn’t need of a radical overhaul - but yeah let’s judge at the end of January

red1

Don't see the problem. Just because the team spirit was great last year and they were successful, doesnt follow that the same team/individuals will be successful in league 1. A few are not up to it. Lets move forward, trust the manager to bring in players that he thinks will get us to where we need to be(wherever that is !)
And whybare people always banging on about bringing back previous players?? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lets move on.

Average Joe

We have a successful side clearly which isn’t need of a radical overhaul - but yeah let’s judge at the end of January
Signing one player and losing two players so far really is not an overhaul.

Willow, I doff my cap to you son for an Exeweb prediction that actually happened so well done
🤝 You love to see it.

FWIW Tim Dieng to Gillingham is the next one on the rumour mill. I am not sure if I believe it, but it makes sense in terms of Gililngham splashing their new-found cash and Dieng seeming to be down the pecking order a bit...

Bridgy 81

Signing one player and losing two players so far really is not an overhaul.
I could be having a moment here but with Joe White coming in and MJ going out who’s the other confirmed departure?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
🤝 You love to see it.

FWIW Tim Dieng to Gillingham is the next one on the rumour mill. I am not sure if I believe it, but it makes sense in terms of Gililngham splashing their new-found cash and Dieng seeming to be down the pecking order a bit...
That's the rumour I was referring to in post 631 and like you, I'm not so sure.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
🤝 You love to see it.

I've heard the rumour this morning that he could be off (and 2nd hand from a source close to the player, not sure how reliable). Didn't know who to though. If true, a little sad, although the bringing in of Joe White probably focused a mind.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
🤝 You love to see it.

I would rather keep Tim till the end of the season personally unless of course Gills are prepared to lay out 50k+ for a player that iirc is out of contract at the end of the season? Dieng for me whilst not necessarily a regular starter is a more than useful squad player and frankly at this rate we will only have about 4 left to be on the bench Saturday!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I could be having a moment here but with Joe White coming in and MJ going out who’s the other confirmed departure?
It's the player mentioned in the thread started by his multi 😉

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well if Tim goes, at this rate, even Rekheem Harper may get a game :sneaky: