• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

DawlishBouy

According to a post on a Colchester forum they offered £60,000 for Tom Nicholls but lost out to Gillingham. I guess a similar amount for Jay is way better than letting him leave on a free in June.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to a post on a Colchester forum they offered £60,000 for Tom Nicholls but lost out to Gillingham. I guess a similar amount for Jay is way better than letting him leave on a free in June.
Any fee above £50,000 for a player not in the manager's plans would be a good deal

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's still going to take some convincing as far as I'm concerned. He is 28 now and probably playing the best football of his life. If you look at his record with Cambridge and Colchester, one in seven and one in six respectively, you have to wonder why it has taken so long for him to find this kind of form. Sometimes players find themselves somewhere where it works for them and it's whether they understand that themselves. Look at Ryan Harley, he was $h!thot for us. He could things we hadn't seen any player do for a long time, if ever, for us but when he left us it all fell apart for him. Now whether that was down to Swansea/Brighton/Swindon's style, the atmosphere at the respective clubs or something else again, who knows but he came back here and our version of Ryan was back. For some reason, we have got the best out of players like Brown and Harley in recent years be it playing the way we do or whether our management/coaching staff are capable of putting an arm around these lads and getting the best out of them, only they can tell you. Harley was a bit younger than Brown when he left and maybe felt the need to chance his arm at a higher level. Jevani might realise, at his age, the only way he is going to get there is by chancing his arm with us but in the meantime he is playing for club where he is playing well, enjoying his game and he is getting whatever it is he needs to be able to achieve that.
I really hope you're right about this.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
So you don't think his form has declined over the past 12 months?
Not to the level people are making out, no. He was a key part of the promotion push right up until to his winning goal that sealed it. Since then, he has rightly been behind Jevani in the pecking order for "the man behind the striker(s)" role that he is best at. When he has been called upon he has been unfairly criticised on every occasion. There are fans actually looking for him and Tim Dieng to slip up at this level, but neither has had a run in the team to prove them wrong. To write him off at this point shows how some fans are still stuck in this "he's a little guy so can't be up to it" that led so many to similarly dismiss him before he played his way regularly into the team and played such an important part of the promotion achievement under Matt Taylor. The assumption that he has been played to "put him in the shop window" is actually laughable. the new manager probably got here and saw his stats from the last two seasons and wondered if he wasn't given a chance that he might have something. People always talk about how impressive he is in training. And in those games where he was given a run of starts recently - and immediately written off pre-match by our resident sages - he did well. So, no, I don't.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not to the level people are making out, no. He was a key part of the promotion push right up until to his winning goal that sealed it. Since then, he has rightly been behind Jevani in the pecking order for "the man behind the striker(s)" role that he is best at. When he has been called upon he has been unfairly criticised on every occasion. There are fans actually looking for him and Tim Dieng to slip up at this level, but neither has had a run in the team to prove them wrong. To write him off at this point shows how some fans are still stuck in this "he's a little guy so can't be up to it" that led so many to similarly dismiss him before he played his way regularly into the team and played such an important part of the promotion achievement under Matt Taylor. The assumption that he has been played to "put him in the shop window" is actually laughable. the new manager probably got here and saw his stats from the last two seasons and wondered if he wasn't given a chance that he might have something. People always talk about how impressive he is in training. And in those games where he was given a run of starts recently - and immediately written off pre-match by our resident sages - he did well. So, no, I don't.
Agree 100% with all you have written. He has made a number of individuals eat their words before and given the chance I believe he will do it again.

axred

We've definitely received a fee but that will probably remain undisclosed as usual

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
If it’s true, and it sounds like it is, then I’ll be sad to see him go. Not only has he served the club with distinction but he has been a first class role model throughout his time with us - bided his time, gave everything whenever he played, captained us, gave loads of interviews (and spoke coherently and insightfully) and did loads in the community. A top man and a very good player for us. If he’s going, he goes with my thanks and my very best wishes for the future.

Grecian Max

Whether MJ stays or not, the "decline in form" narrative on here is wild overstatement.
Wild overstatement? He’s our captain and hasn’t been able to get in our team for over a year.

Grecian Max

They would be getting a far better deal bringing in Jay than Nichols. MJ would bring so much more to the team, we massively mugged Peterborough off with the money we made from the Nichols.

Hope MJ smashes it, I think the refresh and kick up the arse will seem become a berry important player for them.

Grecian Max

His form went off a cliff post COVID, yes he got the Barrow goal but he was a shadow of the player from the first half so that’s re writing history a bit, which I knew would happen because of that goal.

Jay leaving isn’t a surprise, the writing has been on the wall for ages.

Why is playing him and giving some minutes laughable to put him in front the of the shop window just weeks/days before he is apparently leaving? Come on, that’s a pretty standard practice seen all the time in football, especially with the windows. It’s a laughable suggestion to say what you’ve said - when he’s seemingly going to be leaving for a League 2 team fighting relegation very soon…

No one is actively looking for players to slip up, part of football is judging players performances, everyone does it. Bizarre thoughts all round.

Last edited: