• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Speed

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The fact is Spanky that it is an opinion of mine, if someone else had said it there would not be this fuss.

There are people who spend every minute of their lives fighting for survival, life is precious and should not be thrown away no matter how hard it is.
I think you'll find regardless of who said it Jay, at this precise moment in time they'd be getting stick for saying it. As the Monkey Spanker says, there is a time and a place for it and now really isn't.

Poultice

You don't get it, do you? No-one has a problem with you having an opinion. No-one has a problem with you expressing it.

However, there are times and places. This is neither the time, nor the place.

I think you are wrong Spanky, the issue of his death was raised and Jay posted his opinion, which incidentally I agree with 100%, eulogise all you like about a chap that played football reasonably well but in the death he strung himself up and left it for somebody else to discover the body. I'm not a Catholic who believes suicide is a cardinal sin but the way in which he has done this imho negates any good he might ever have done, I know a girl who found her brothers body after he had killed himself, it made an enormous difference to the rest of her life, how are this man's two little kids gonna feel that their dad thought so little of them he went and topped himself.

Whatever he thought was a good enough reason to do this he was wrong, it is the ultimate act of selfishness and Jay is perfectly right to state his opinion in the midst of this excessive mawkage.

FAN-TATIC

Re: R.I.P Gary Speed

Switched to Ceefax and could not believe what I was reading. Gary was doing so well with the Wales football squad too. Great player and by what people who knew him are saying a thoroughly nice guy.

RIP Gary Speed.

Jolboy

I think you are wrong Spanky, the issue of his death was raised and Jay posted his opinion, which incidentally I agree with 100%, eulogise all you like about a chap that played football reasonably well but in the death he strung himself up and left it for somebody else to discover the body. I'm not a Catholic who believes suicide is a cardinal sin but the way in which he has done this imho negates any good he might ever have done, I know a girl who found her brothers body after he had killed himself, it made an enormous difference to the rest of her life, how are this man's two little kids gonna feel that their dad thought so little of them he went and topped himself.

Whatever he thought was a good enough reason to do this he was wrong, it is the ultimate act of selfishness and Jay is perfectly right to state his opinion in the midst of this excessive mawkage.
It's easy to draw this conclusion and for some it helps them deal with it in their own head better. The reality is to take your own life surely you are not in control of your mind. Therefore how can you be selfish if you are not in control of your mind. It goes against basic human instinct. Humans are programmed to fight for survival. Something in the mind has categorically changed for this to happen. It's not as simple as you and Jay point out.

Last edited:

elginCity

On a public forum, I think it's acceptable to state your opinion on suicide generally.

Choosing to attribute said opinion to an individual case, especially so soon and without any knowledge of the facts, is just insensitive, crass.

The 'puppet master' has once again received the attention he so desperately craves, shame on him.

Gary Speed, Rest in Peace.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member

See Poult, I don't disagree with you, on the greater part of what you say.

The issue is that we are making comment on a set of circumstances we just don't know about. For all we know, the guy had been battling depression for years and believed he was possessed by demons. (I've worked with someone who suffered from schizophrenia, and I know how impossible it is to predict, or when and how it will raise it's ugly head.)

Being a completely sane individual (this is open to interpretation :D ), you couldn't possibly comment in either an informed way or, unless you've avidly studied mental illness, a qualified way.

Therefore, whatever opinion you have on the subject, it's just hot air from the uninformed. (No disrespect meant.)

manc grecian

Lets hope some people are never in the position where they feel the only way out is to take their own life.

A true professional, a true Evertonian and a thoroughly decent man.

RIP Gary Speed.

wemissmoxey

I don't really have a problem with Jay's comments, he is hardly saying them at Speed's funeral.

It is a rather odd one though as Speed seemed to have a lot going for him, Spanker is right when he says we don't really have a clue what Speed was going through however it will be his wife, kids and wider family that will have to deal with this horrible situation.

Poultice

See Poult, I don't disagree with you, on the greater part of what you say.

The issue is that we are making comment on a set of circumstances we just don't know about.
Well the only comment I have made was based on the fact that he hung himself leaving his body for someone else to find and his children with no father, his reasoning, or lack of it, are not an issue for me here and I have not commented on that.

Poultice

It is a rather odd one though as Speed seemed to have a lot going for him,
Depression is an illness Missy, it is no respecter of money, lifestyle or status, just like the cold virus it infects apparently at random, some people cope with it better than others who need SSRIs or the like to get by, but that or a glittering football career does not excuse what he did.