• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Future Train Travel To St James Park...........

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rugby players' ears are funny.
To be fair, it is where they have to keep what remains of their brains.

As a matter of intrest,does anyone know how many supporters use the halt at SJP on matchdays ?.
Don't know exact numbers, we had another one of our home (away) days, after breakfast in the Kings Arms (St Thomas) on Saturday we chose Dawlish Warren as our town of preference and had a mini pub crawl around local hostelries and got back to the fair city at 14.20.

We disembarked at the Halt with about 15 others, so it is not exactly rammed with home fans. I can's speak about those travelling from the opposite direction, but eeee, when I were a lad travelling up from Exmouth, there were a good hundred or so.

In the past we have done the same at Exmouth & Lympstone, Teignmouth, Dawlish before getting back to the park to cheer the boys on. Fave so far is Teignmouth, sunny Saturday morning sat outside the Ship Inn on the town beach with a pint in your hand reminds you how lucky we are to live in this county. Another avenue of pleasure soon to be removed, ah well, I suppose we could stay at home and watch footie on the tele. More galling is the fact that this bit of fun is going to suffer because the railway, rather than embrace the fact that on some Saturdays they have extra customers, have decided that they would rather do without some than put on that extra carriage - and with preference given to the Rugga Buggas as well!

Oldsmobile-88

I watched that session unfold on Rogers & Saxons Facebook feed,Gary...Very good It looked/sounded too.

Alistair20000

Rugby players' ears are funny.
I love cauliflowers me.

David Treharne

Without being nostalgic the train services to SJP have certainly deteriorated over the last 60-70 years. The guy who say next to me when I bought my first season ticket in the Old Grandstand used to recall travelling as a young lad from Ottery St Mary by train and recounted that as he go older the lads from OSM used to meet up with other from Tipton St John, Sidmouth and even East Budleigh and choose a pub somewhere along the line for a pre game drink before getting to SJP. The Beeching axe stopped all that and he reckoned many of his previous companions stopped attending. History repeating itself?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rowe won't spend money unessacarily,that's how he gets so much,if you are a chiefs season ticket holder,the demand for payment becomes earlier every season,and some of them are getting a bit ****ed off with the money grabbing ethos surrounding the cheifs!
How do their players get around? Quite a few of them are banned from driving due to drink drive convictions, ignoring those players that have convictions for bad behaviour when drunk without a car.

Last edited:

elginCity

How do there players get around? Quite a few of them are banned from driving due to drink drive convictions, ignoring those players that have convictions for bad behaviour when drunk without a car.
What are you on about, Hampshire ? The last DD, the Fijian Nedolo, was different vintage, about 6 years ago now.

LOG

As a matter of intrest,does anyone know how many supporters use the halt at SJP on matchdays ?.
Neil Le Milliere was interviewed about this on the wireless this morning and said that on Saturday 83 people got off the last train to stop at SJP before kick off. I have to say that's a lot more than i thought it would be.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Neil Le Milliere was interviewed about this on the wireless this morning and said that on Saturday 83 people got off the last train to stop at SJP before kick off. I have to say that's a lot more than i thought it would be.
Having sold fanzines round that side of the ground, I would have said 20-30 max but then that was only between 2 and 3pm so it could be more.

Still it would be sad if it's got rid of especially with the severe lack of parking around SJP these days.

Last edited:
Not a lot of difference to stopping at Pinhoe...at Feniton and Whimple passengers are requested to sit in the front 3 carriages because of short platforms at those stations.
^^^^ What he said.

vvvvvv Not what they say...
https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/changes-to-services-at-st-james-park-station-this-saturday/