• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

ex_user1234

Resigned
Personally I’d imagine it’s difficult for them to tell us as they don’t really know what they are doing half the time. This is the problem when people vote for who face fits and not based on people actual skill set.

My dealings with the club and trust have given me the feeling of lots of talk but non substance to it or no real action being taken.

It’s a worrying time of what you are saying is true and I’ve no reason to doubt what you are saying isn’t true.

Just out of curiosity I’m about to be put on furlough and I’ve been told I’m on a 24 hour call back, would this be the case with the players if they where put on it?
Sadly, both your first and second points are broadly true.

The people involved are decent folk who work hard and care deeply about the club, but in my opinion, having spent time with them, they do not have the business skillset required to maximize the potential of the club. Which is a real shame for City fans, but that is how it is. I ran in the Trust elections to try and bring in a more modern, entrepreneurial way of thinking, but came almost rock bottom in the voting. People simply didn't want change or didn't like what I was offering. Which is fair enough. However, I also came away with the distinct impression that unless you are a known face and work in some capacity for the club then you probably won't get elected. It feels like a closed shop from the inside as well as the outside in my experience.

I won't gain any fans from the powers-that-be for writing any of this, but my loyalty is to Exeter City and the people of Exeter. I think the fans deserve better, especially when it comes to the current lack of transparency around how they board are going to handle this unprecedented crisis. The impression I have sadly is they look to be out of their depth.

It's not about what I'm saying is "true" or not - anyone can do the maths. Look at the annual accounts and see how much money we have. Then see what happens when you take income away for six months and keep most of your costs. It's not pretty. Which is why we should have furloughed the players at the very first opportunity. Instead we just meekly follow orders from the PFA and the EFL. Leadership it ain't.

Minimum period of furlough is 3 weeks. From govt:

Minimum furlough periods
Any employees you place on furlough must be furloughed for a minimum period of 3 consecutive weeks. When they return to work, they must be taken off furlough. Employees can be furloughed multiple times, but each separate instance must be for a minimum period of 3 consecutive weeks.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sadly, both your first and second points are broadly true.

The people involved are decent folk who work hard and care deeply about the club, but in my opinion, having spent time with them, they do not have the business skillset required to maximize the potential of the club. Which is a real shame for City fans, but that is how it is. I ran in the Trust elections to try and bring in a more modern, entrepreneurial way of thinking, but came almost rock bottom in the voting. People simply didn't want change or didn't like what I was offering. Which is fair enough. However, I also came away with the distinct impression that unless you are a known face and work in some capacity for the club then you probably won't get elected. It feels like a closed shop from the inside as well as the outside in my experience.

I won't gain any fans from the powers-that-be for writing any of this, but my loyalty is to Exeter City and the people of Exeter. I think the fans deserve better, especially when it comes to the current lack of transparency around how they board are going to handle this unprecedented crisis. The impression I have sadly is they look to be out of their depth.

It's not about what I'm saying is "true" or not - anyone can do the maths. Look at the annual accounts and see how much money we have. Then see what happens when you take income away for six months and keep most of your costs. It's not pretty. Which is why we should have furloughed the players at the very first opportunity. Instead we just meekly follow orders from the PFA and the EFL. Leadership it ain't.

Minimum period of furlough is 3 weeks. From govt:

Minimum furlough periods
Any employees you place on furlough must be furloughed for a minimum period of 3 consecutive weeks. When they return to work, they must be taken off furlough. Employees can be furloughed multiple times, but each separate instance must be for a minimum period of 3 consecutive weeks.
To be equally strident, I think you didn't get voted onto the TB because your campaign was not effective and you couldn't convince
many Trust members to vote for you. You were challenged in various points and could not come up with satisfactory answers. The voting system was democratic.
If I had to choose between candidates that I.knew, who live in Exeter and I thought were good blokes, or someone who.lived far away who said his other commitments might prevent him from completing his term of office, I'd choose the former.
There is no evidence that if you had joined the Trust Board the financial situation of the club would have drastically improved and there is no evidence that the club is not doing well behind the scenes.
To be frank, you're constant drone of being the saviour of Exeter City and the doom and gloom you are constantly predicting about our future is becoming tiresome.
We are dealing with a pandemic. It's difficult. Many clubs are having problems dealing with it. But just because the club hierarchy won't share information to you you specifically doesn't mean that they are not being proactive. The club has done really well.in.recent years and I gave no reason to question their actions.
And do me a favour about gassing on about your love for the Exeter people. What a load of carp
The fact is you didn't win a place on the Trust Board but still think you are the bleddy messiah who the club's destiny revolves around
Sorry this post is not very diplomatic, but neither was yours. Now go and do something useful like paint the seats in the IP if you're ever in Exeter

fred binneys head

I don't know for certain, but I imagine we have to follow orders from the PFA and the EFL - why would that constitute being meek? If the club had been sitting with enough cash to enable it to pay 6 months overheads with no income for the past few years, you'd have been quick to accuse them of a lack of ambition, why aren't they spending the money they've generated, directors only in it for themselves, etc, etc.

J-Han

To be equally strident, I think you didn't get voted onto the TB because your campaign was not effective and you couldn't convince
many Trust members to vote for you. You were challenged in various points and could not come up with satisfactory answers. The voting system was democratic.
If I had to choose between candidates that I.knew, who live in Exeter and I thought were good blokes, or someone who.lived far away who said his other commitments might prevent him from completing his term of office, I'd choose the former.
There is no evidence that if you had joined the Trust Board the financial situation of the club would have drastically improved and there is no evidence that the club is not doing well behind the scenes.
To be frank, you're constant drone of being the saviour of Exeter City and the doom and gloom you are constantly predicting about our future is becoming tiresome.
We are dealing with a pandemic. It's difficult. Many clubs are having problems dealing with it. But just because the club hierarchy won't share information to you you specifically doesn't mean that they are not being proactive. The club has done really well.in.recent years and I gave no reason to question their actions.
And do me a favour about gassing on about your love for the Exeter people. What a load of carp
The fact is you didn't win a place on the Trust Board but still think you are the bleddy messiah who the club's destiny revolves around
Sorry this post is not very diplomatic, but neither was yours. Now go and do something useful like paint the seats in the IP if you're ever in Exeter
Agree with this. Just sounds like Ed's got a bee in his bonnet that nobody else could see his perceived "genius" because he wasn't elected. You might have all the business skills in the world, but if you haven't got the people skills to convince people in a democratic process to vote for you, then you're as about as useful as anyone with no business skills.

Also, saying the "captains of the ship" don't seem to be aware of this - what proof of this do you have other than them not sharing every detail with you, Ed? How do you know each club and Trust board member isn't working hard all day ensuring the club is getting through this in the most effective way possible? You don't. You're just making assumptions because you've clearly got a salty axe to grind.

*Edit - grammar!

Last edited:

J-Han

I don't know for certain, but I imagine we have to follow orders from the PFA and the EFL - why would that constitute being meek? If the club had been sitting with enough cash to enable it to pay 6 months overheads with no income for the past few years, you'd have been quick to accuse them of a lack of ambition, why aren't they spending the money they've generated, directors only in it for themselves, etc, etc.
Also, even if they aren't orders as such, what's the issue with consulting with various organisations to make sure you have all the available information while you navigate these unprecedented times? It seems wise to gather as much information and guidance from wherever you can.

Alistair20000

Directors remuneration is published in the annual accounts. I have always found club and trust officials to be open and honest when asked a direct question. Why dont you ask?
Martin, directors remuneration is not published in the annual accounts because there isn’t any. The M&A of the Club prohibits the payment of remuneration to directors in their capacity as director or as an employee.

Mr Tagg was paid £72,000 in the year ended 30 June 2019 through his company Rolls Bridge Holdings Limited to get round this restriction.

Alistair20000

MEMO TO ED GALLOIS

Ed, why do you block me (and maybe others) from looking at your full profile on here please ?

ex_user1234

Resigned
MEMO TO ED GALLOIS

Ed, why do you block me (and maybe others) from looking at your full profile on here please ?
Wasn't trying to block anyone, but have now relaxed the privacy settings. Not sure there's anything to see on there anyway. It's not like I'm not being transparent. I use my real name on here unlike the vast majority of others.

ex_user1234

Resigned
I live in Exeter.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Agree with this. Just sounds like Ed's got a bee in his bonnet that nobody else could see his perceived "genius" because he wasn't elected. You might have all the business skills in the world, but if you haven't got the people skills to convince people in a democratic process to vote for you, then you're as about as useful as anyone with no business skills.

Also, saying the "captains of the ship" don't seem to be aware of this - what proof of this do you have other than them not sharing every detail with you, Ed? How do you know each club and Trust board member isn't working hard all day ensuring the club is getting through this in the most effective way possible? You don't. You're just making assumptions because you've clearly got a salty axe to grind.

*Edit - grammar!
If you read my post I said people didn't want what I was offering. I also said that's fair enough. I'm not sure how that equates to having an axe to grind. I accept the democratic outcome of the election, but that doesn't mean to say there aren't flaws in the system.