• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Frozen pitches

Shortround

This really annoyed me today! i have to leave home at 11am on a saturday to get to the game and the next bus home is'nt till 4:45, so lots of hanging around today, i know this is a problem for a lots of other fans to.
So when it was announced in the st james centre that the game was off due to a frozen pitch this got me & heathy talking of ways to stop this happening at the park, & we have come up with the idea that the money from the grecian goal gift should go towards a cover for the whole pitch! hey presto no frozen pitch! could also be used when heavy rain is forcast on the day of a game!

Lister

It would need some research, as i've heard that covers will protect from snow and rain, but not freezing conditions.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
This really annoyed me today! i have to leave home at 11am on a saturday to get to the game and the next bus home is'nt till 4:45, so lots of hanging around today, i know this is a problem for a lots of other fans to.
So when it was announced in the st james centre that the game was off due to a frozen pitch this got me & heathy talking of ways to stop this happening at the park, & we have come up with the idea that the money from the grecian goal gift should go towards a cover for the whole pitch! hey presto no frozen pitch! could also be used when heavy rain is forcast on the day of a game!
I don't think a cover would work for heavy rain something to do with the drainage around the sides of the pitch.

mammooman

I believe a figure of 10k was mentioned, this was from memory though so could be wrong. I also believe some supporters groups are already talking about funding for this (even before today.)

oldcity

the money from the grecian goal gift should go towards a cover for the whole pitch! hey presto no frozen pitch! could also be used when heavy rain is forcast on the day of a game!

A cover which would have to stay on for how long? to protect from this prolonged cold snap, it would kill the grass.:$

Oli

It would need some research, as i've heard that covers will protect from snow and rain, but not freezing conditions.
Preston apparently have one..............

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forgotten which club it was but there was a game in the Cup today who I swear it was said had a cover on the pitch since Tuesday.

Edit: Probably Preston then, cheers Oli [y] :D

Last edited:

oldcity

Forgotten which club it was but there was a game in the Cup today who I swear it was said had a cover on the pitch since Tuesday.

Edit: Probably Preston then, cheers Oli [y] :D
And they used heaters today, just think of the cost of electricity to run those;)

grecIAN Harris

I was talking to my Dad on a similar subject and he said that in days of yore they used to spread shedloads of hay across the pitches. Somehow this used to stop the frost getting through. Maybe somebody like rightwing, who is old enough to know, could shed some light on this.

Lister

Preston apparently have one..............
Which had hot air blown below it .........