• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FPTP or Alternative?

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which version of STV would you propose Poult?

I'm intrigued.........
I don't think I would, I think the whole political scenario is overcooked already, there are far too many MPs and they hold far too much power in their parties without any real consequence to them if it goes fubar.

First we used to get Labour who spent too much and f*cked up the economy while shifting power and influence to their friends in the unions and public sector, then you get the Blue Rinsers who f*ck us up by trying to get all the power back into the hands of the bankers and land owners, basically the controllers of capital, then along came Blair/Brown to shag everybody by spunking every penny we are likely to earn over the next hundred years just to line their own pockets, so we have got Labour and the Tories bellying up to the City, now we have got Dave and the Div pretending that they know which way is up.

FFS, what difference does the way I vote make ?

The complete lack of any alternative choice negates any reason to reform the system, I will dutifully stroll around the corner later to do my civic duty, only spoke to one candidate, well it wasn't really a candidate it was some dork that was trying to get the Tory elected, he took exception to my attitude so I told him to f*ck off, all I have to go on is the half a dozen leaflets which came through the door spouting the usual old party centric b*ll*cks, easy to see why an ever growing proportion of the electorate choose not to take part.

Plural, preferential, FPTP, AV, AV+, STV, PR, blah, blah, blah.

We've got a system that provides an evenings entertainment once every five years, why mess with it ?

Poultice

Voted 1 for "no", and 2 for "yes". The was the right thing to do wasn't it?
Nice little process joke there Hants.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nice little process joke there Hants.
Actually it's what I did! First time ever that I've deliberately spoilt my ballot paper. Not happy with the AV solution, there won't be another discussion on electoral reform for another 30 years, both campaigns were crap and showed that politicians and celebrities can't present an argument to save their lives.

Grecian2K

Voted 1 for "no", and 2 for "yes". The was the right thing to do wasn't it?
Why was there no choice for?

3 - NEITHER of the above

Last edited:

Phil Sayers

For the first time ever I decided at the last minute which way to vote.

That could indicate that I haven't read enough about it, that it won't make much difference either way, that the arguments are finely poised or that I had a conflict between the (probable) best interests of the party I usually vote for and what the better system actually is. Likely all of the above.

DB9

Well i voted "No" I thought as i was in the Polling Station when i vote for someone its that person or party i want to vote for, Not the most preferred one and also not in the order i liked the most. For me its about the policies and manifesto's of the Parties and the party i think will do the best job. Not sure if this makes sense but that's the conclusion i came to

Last edited:

TheBlackAdderEcfc

Looking at the latest polls looks like the No vote will win quite comfortable YouGov says 68% TO 32%. I also voted No why change a system which we have used and has worked well.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
I voted No...I couldn't read the other one cos it was a big word that had 3 letters in it:$

Last edited:

Cravat 2

Looking at the latest polls looks like the No vote will win quite comfortable YouGov says 68% TO 32%. I also voted No why change a system which we have used and has worked well.
We have a Tory government. It hasn't worked well!! ;)

Last edited:

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Well i voted "No" I thought as i was in the Polling Station when i vote for someone its that person or party i want to vote for, Not the most preferred one and also not in the order i liked the most. For me its about the policies and manifesto's of the Parties and the party i think will do the best job. Not sure if this makes sense but that's the conclusion i came to
You can vote for just one person under the AV system you know.............