• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed, but in fairness, I seem to recall Taggy saying that Aston Villa behaved very well and paid a fair price with regard to the transfer.
and always worth remembering that there's also the add ons and sell on that will we also have. We received another £1.4 for Ethan last summer 6 years after he left (with potentially another 600k to come). Ollie's transfer generated huge sums in the period from 3-6 years after he left us.

A major part of our financial future is how well the likes of Chrisene (and Stansfield, Pond, Collins and potentially Key) do in the future.

The deluder

Stansfield is the one that was given away. Fulham paying the absolute minimum and Jay thinking of his career and not necessarily the club.

ryancooper327

Stansfield is the one that was given away. Fulham paying the absolute minimum and Jay thinking of his career and not necessarily the club.
As anyone would do. Not sure anyone begrudges a kid for wanting to ‘make it’.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just not true.

Fulham paid us about twice the amount in the EPPP rules said, and the Club made the point that Fulham had not behaved badly. The payer wanted to develop on his own merits and he and his family felt that Fulham was the best pace for him to do that.

“Every effort was made to keep Jay at the club, but our ethos has always been to put the player’s wishes first and the move to a category one club in Fulham was what was felt best for Jay, by both him and his family, and we look forward to following his continued success in the game.”

And Fulham allowed him to come to us on loan last season, when they could have said no and insisted he went to a club higher up.

Our beef (as it was with Ampadu) was and is the way the system is biased in favour of the rich clubs. As Taggy said,

“We, like many clubs, feel the Elite Performance Player Plan’s rules – which fix transfer fees between academies – is heavily weighted in favour of sides higher up the football pyramid and ignores clubs like Exeter City, which do a tremendous job in producing talented young footballers."

📝 Club statement: Jay Stansfield - News - Exeter City FC

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes. How dare he think of his career and wanting to better himself.

grecIAN Harris

And why shouldn't he? If bigger firm with better wages came in for you, would you turn them down? There have been times when I have questioned whether a move away is the right thing for some of our kids at such an early stage of their career, especially the likes of Lingy and Mark Robson during the 80's, but Stanno has proved beyond any doubt that he is different gravy and needed to be somewhere that was going to push his boundaries. I feel sure he will be at Fulham properly next season in another step up in his career before being their main man up top the following season.

Reactions: DB9

Spoonz Red E

And why shouldn't he? If bigger firm with better wages came in for you, would you turn them down? There have been times when I have questioned whether a move away is the right thing for some of our kids at such an early stage of their career, especially the likes of Lingy and Mark Robson during the 80's, but Stanno has proved beyond any doubt that he is different gravy and needed to be somewhere that was going to push his boundaries. I feel sure he will be at Fulham properly next season in another step up in his career before being their main man up top the following season.
The deluder is also ignoring the other very important element - i.e. Jay being Adam's son.

You could see at the start of Jay's return to us the huge weight of emotion still held in check.
Jay wanted to do right by his dad and for us throughout his season here.
During the fallow part of the season there was obviously a lot of respect both ways - hence Jay rushing straight to GC when he scored to end that goalless period.

The fairy tale ending with a hat trick celebration in front of the Stansfield Stand to bring his total, fittingly, to 9 goals was brilliant.
All that, and the revealed vest at Home Park, says much more about the bond between us and Jay than shoehorning 'reasons' for his decision to leave.

I think he was absolutely right to go to Fulham when he did.

Delighted for him and the Stansfield family.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I see Jordan Tillson is still getting game time, he came in for Dundee Utd on 64 minutes yesterday in their 4-1 win away at Greenock Morton in the Scottish Championship. United currently on top of the table.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's remarkable how well our academy products tend to do after they leave City. MJ is the only one who has really struggled although the jury is still out on Alfie Pond. Yes, it's frustrating that we often don't see more of them playing for City but it does suggest these players are being very well advised as to when is the right time for them to move on.

DB9

It's remarkable how well our academy products tend to do after they leave City. MJ is the only one who has really struggled although the jury is still out on Alfie Pond. Yes, it's frustrating that we often don't see more of them playing for City but it does suggest these players are being very well advised as to when is the right time for them to move on.
Yet people like The Deluder thinks all players that have come from our ranks and move on should have a shrine to ECFC in their homes and pray for thanks that we "let" them move on or thinks they should be grateful for playing for us and never move on! 🤷‍♂️ Does have the right username mind.