• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s not rubbish at all. Peters said himself he wouldn’t return if Russell was no longer involved with club and that Russell was the reason he took the job in the first place.
That would imply that Peters was a pretty bad judge of character, and happy having loan players Todd and Pilkington turning upto training with their suitcases because they had been thrown out of their hotel, because the hotel hadn't been paid for yonks !

Antony Moxey

I don’t care what it implies, it’s what he said. Believe it, don’t believe it, your choice but I’m not making it up.

STURTZ

Why Peters didn't stay was neither here nor there, he got something out of that squad that nobody else could and Dolan did well in terrible circumstances.

Alan Ball wasn't all that successful, but could win a derby!

Oldsmobile-88

Bally did well to keep us in the 3rd Division for the 2 full seasons he was at SJP..

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I loved Bally. That on-pitch flat capped rant against Port Vale would probably earn him a 10 game ban these days but he really did care.

Antony Moxey

Why Peters didn't stay was neither here nor there, he got something out of that squad that nobody else could and Dolan did well in terrible circumstances.

Alan Ball wasn't all that successful, but could win a derby!
Yep, one defeat in 15 derbies I think, a 1-0 at Torquay on NYD when Justin Fashanu scored. The 2-0 home win then 3-0 away win at Shilton’s Argyle are among my best City supporting times ever.

Oldsmobile-88

Yep, one defeat in 15 derbies I think, a 1-0 at Torquay on NYD when Justin Fashanu scored. The 2-0 home win then 3-0 away win at Shilton’s Argyle are among my best City supporting times ever.
During the clusterfkcu start to 91/92 & a few hidings(due to TC leaving at pre season & hence the players not being properly fit,plus poor signings ) The game which started the revival was the mid week Torquay game in September,they were all over us for 90 mins but could not score,cue 90th min we get a corner somehow,it’s mis hit at low level & somehow goes in,just the luck we needed.We were 5th in the table by the end of October..Bally’s first bit of magic for a derby(albeit luck,which is always needed at times)..Loved those days.

Antony Moxey

During the clusterfkcu start to 91/92 & a few hidings(due to TC leaving at pre season & hence the players not being properly fit,plus poor signings ) The game which started the revival was the mid week Torquay game in September,they were all over us for 90 mins but could not score,cue 90th min we get a corner somehow,it’s mis hit at low level & somehow goes in,just the luck we needed.We were 5th in the table by the end of October..Bally’s first bit of magic for a derby(albeit luck,which is always needed at times)..Loved those days.
Tom Kelly with the goal IIRC. Wasn’t that the game after Bally signed 10 players after a 6-1 defeat at Shrewsbury (my only trip to the old Gay Meadow) which might have been our second six goal defeat that season and it was only September.

Oldsmobile-88

Tom Kelly with the goal IIRC. Wasn’t that the game after Bally signed 10 players after a 6-1 defeat at Shrewsbury (my only trip to the old Gay Meadow) which might have been our second six goal defeat that season and it was only September.
Yep..Jeeze that game at Gay Meadow,iirc we were 4-1 down in the 1st half.I remember saying it cannot get much worse,then we had a couple of players sent off plus shipped in another couple in the 2nd half.
WBA had also put 6 past us on the opening game of the season.
We miraculously ground out a 0-0 at Leeds Rd,Huddersfield a couple of weeks later to stop the goals against table look too crazy for Sept..:D.
Scott Daniels was signed(50k),Peter Whiston came from Torquay(swapped for Rowbothom) Andy Cooke (50k) from Southampton they steadied the ship at the back.

Avening Posse

That 3-0 away win was something else, I still watch the YouTube clip to bring back the memories