• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Bridgy 81

Released again. I assume because, when all's said and done, he's not very good
Almost 300 matches in League One and Two doesn’t strike me as someone who isn’t very good at football.
I suppose it’s easy to rubbish a person online, but personally if I thought that I’d rather say it to his face.
I think George Ray is a very decent footballer.
Maybe someday you’ll get the chance to tell him that you don’t think he is.
I’d like to be there when you do that.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Almost 300 matches in League One and Two doesn’t strike me as someone who isn’t very good at football.
I suppose it’s easy to rubbish a person online, but personally if I thought that I’d rather say it to his face.
I think George Ray is a very decent footballer.
Maybe someday you’ll get the chance to tell him that you don’t think he is.
I’d like to be there when you do that.
Yes, I get all that, but no-one has yet explained why Barrow have released him

iscalad

Maybe they didn't want hi anymore.

simcity

Maybe he didn’t want to have to travel to the arse end of nowhere every other Saturday?

Might be his decision to leave & test the water being a free agent!

Bridgy 81

Maybe because Barrow missed out on the League Two playoffs by one point they have to revise their budget and consequently can’t afford him, as opposed to him not being very good.

arthur

Maybe because Barrow missed out on the League Two playoffs by one point they have to revise their budget and consequently can’t afford him, as opposed to him not being very good.
You may well be right and I wrong. I assumed from his tweet he'd have been more than happy to stay and, given his sacking from both L2 City and L2 Orient, he would surely have taken a slight pay cut to stay somewhere he's happy rather than risk an uncertain future on the open market.

I guess where he ends up will answer a lot of these questions

Bridgy 81

You may well be right and I wrong. I assumed from his tweet he'd have been more than happy to stay and, given his sacking from both L2 City and L2 Orient, he would surely have taken a slight pay cut to stay somewhere he's happy rather than risk an uncertain future on the open market.

I guess where he ends up will answer a lot of these questions
I’m afraid I disagree with you again.
I don’t characterise his departures from us and Orient as sackings.
Footballers get contracts, or not, at clubs for a variety of reasons, which aren’t necessarily as a consequence of their playing ability.
That’s the nature of professional football.
I don’t want to sound pompous, but I’m surprised and disappointed that you don’t seem to appreciate that.

arthur

I’m afraid I disagree with you again.
I don’t characterise his departures from us and Orient as sackings.
Footballers get contracts, or not, at clubs for a variety of reasons, which aren’t necessarily as a consequence of their playing ability.
That’s the nature of professional football.
I don’t want to sound pompous, but I’m surprised and disappointed that you don’t seem to appreciate that.
You don't sound pompous at all. But being told that you're not required because a club has two centre halves who aren't playing (Exeter) or your loan period is not going to lead to a permanent contract (Orient) seems to be near enough to being sacked as makes no difference.

Apart from playing ability, personal qualities and the reasonableness or otherwise of wage demands what other factors decide whether a player is offered a contract?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have they bought a stand from Bristol Rovers?

Edit..I see I'm a bit late on that one.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe his contract is up and he's got an offer from somewhere else so he's been 'released'?