• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

DawlishBouy

Moreover, a new manager wanting to get a few results under his belt is, in general, much more likely to take a chance with a big, physical player than a smaller more skillful one. Going back a few years decades, I recall Chris Vinnicombe was a first choice for Rangers under Graeme Souness but didn't start a game after Walter Smith took over; likewise Buster Phillips was getting game time at Man City under Alan Ball but was soon cast aside by Joe Royle.
Rangers stopped playing Vinnicombe because he was 2 games away from triggering another £100,000 payment to City. They weren't going to make the same mistake as when they miscounted his first 20 apprearances.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the same can be said about managers. When their job depends on the next result, they do not give/have the time or patience to give players such as Jay. They want what they know and what can be produced THIS gameweek.

He has had 6 starts in 9 months..including the pizza trophy.
Ben Garner will be looking for a new job before Christmas !

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
MJ to join his mate at Pompey ?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rangers stopped playing Vinnicombe because he was 2 games away from triggering another £100,000 payment to City. They weren't going to make the same mistake as when they miscounted his first 20 apprearances.
That may or may not have been a factor, but I'm pretty certain if Souness, who 'fancied' Vinnicombe, had remained in situ at Ilbrox Vinnicombe would have gone on to play many more games and the club would happily have parted with 100k.

In any case, assuming the following article is correct, Vinnicombe did go on to make seven more appearances for Rangers – albeit over the space of three seasons – so they must have coughed up anyway.

Last edited:

jimmy

MJ to join his mate at Pompey ?
They did apparently keep tabs on him..but that jump might now be too big a gap.

Anyone want to float the idea of the return of the prodigal MJ on here?! Or has Exeweb had one too many meltdowns recently?

DawlishBouy

That may or may not have been a factor, but I'm pretty certain if Souness, who 'fancied' Vinnicombe, had remained in situ at Ilbrox Vinnicombe would have gone on to play many more games and the club would happily have parted with 100k.

In any case, assuming the following article is correct, Vinnicombe did go on to make seven more appearances for Rangers – albeit over the space of three seasons – so they must have coughed up anyway.
They were meant to to pay up when he played his 20th, 30th and 40th game.
When he had played his 20th game they stopped playing him (Rangers’ statto had failed to count one of his very brief sub appearances and they thought he had played 19). .
After accepting he had played 20 games they coughed up the £100,000. They started playing him again until he reached his 28th appearance.
Rangers were at the start of the financial mess that finally led to them going bankrupt in 2012.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
When he had played his 20th game they stopped playing him (Rangers’ statto had failed to count one of his very brief sub appearances and they thought he had played 19). .
After accepting he had played 20 games they coughed up the £100,000. They started playing him again until he reached his 28th appearance.
Rangers were at the start of the financial mess that finally led to them going bankrupt in 2012.
The piece I linked to says he played a further seven games over three years and that Walter Smith wouldn't allow him to go to Chelsea. Surely, if Rangers were looking to cut costs they'd have jumped at the chance to move Chris on?!
Despite representing and captaining England Under-21s during his time in Govan, Vinnicombe would muster just seven more games in the Rangers first team over the next three seasons.

An opportunity to join Chelsea in 1993 was kyboshed by Smith, who wanted Vinnicombe to stick around. It was a decision he still struggles to understand.

“I had a trial down at Chelsea, Glenn Hoddle was the manager at the time and he wanted to sign me," Vinnicombe recalls. "Walter Smith turned it down and said he wanted me as part of his squad.

"He could’ve let me go because he had Robertson and Munro that could play left-back but it didn’t happen for whatever reason.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Glasgow Rangers were a bit tardy in arranging the friendly against the Grecians which was part of the transfer. It took a couple of years to arrange !

JJ red&white

Swings and roundabouts though isn't it. Key derided by some as a 'headless chicken' and having 'no end product' is storming it in the Championship. Collins, who others seriously underated or dismissed as ineffectual, a nailed on starter at Posh, Sparkes written off by many others as being League 2/NL level cementing his place at the top of league 1 with Pompey.
There are those among us who are too eager to simply write players off, and demonstrate a total inability to appreciate both their skills and what they bring to the team.
I’m not sure. The others who are doing well we got substantial fees for (Sparkes is the only exception). The point I was trying to make is that those that we let go for free or tiny fees, are all struggling, suggesting we made the right decision to get them off the wage bill.

Red Monster

Poor old Matt was only brought on in the 79 minute of last nights
EFL Trophy Match.
That was after Colchester’s 5-1 thrashing on Saturday.
So he’s no chance of even making the bench this week.
Garner really is trying to force him out .