• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football to resume on June 6

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm personally of the view that it's better to restart this season whenever it's safe to do so than to void it altogether, even if that means the '2020-21' campaign starts in January and incorporates just 23 games. Whether that's possible with the number of players out of contract in July, however, remains to be seen.

If it is curtains for 2019-20, the league should be voided and not decided on a PPG basis, and Barrow should be allowed to go up purely as there's a spare place in the EFL. It would also make now the perfect time to introduce any changes to the league structure with teams facing a big drop in revenue. Regionalisation of L1 and L2 may be sensible to reduce journey times and costs, thus increasing the number of away fans through the gate. A salary cap is also surely inevitable.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm personally of the view that it's better to restart this season whenever it's safe to do so than to void it altogether, even if that means the '2020-21' campaign starts in January and incorporates just 23 games. Whether that's possible with the number of players out of contract in July, however, remains to be seen.

If it is curtains for 2019-20, the league should be voided and not decided on a PPG basis, and Barrow should be allowed to go up purely as there's a spare place in the EFL. It would also make now the perfect time to introduce any changes to the league structure with teams facing a big drop in revenue. Regionalisation of L1 and L2 may be sensible to reduce journey times and costs, thus increasing the number of away fans through the gate. A salary cap is also surely inevitable.
It's not going to.be totally safe for a long time, Memo. People are saying we will have to live with it : it is the "new normal" I hate the term "collateral damage" but it might have to come to that, with life going on but
not like before. Awful choices to make

Alistair20000

It's not going to.be totally safe for a long time, Memo. People are saying we will have to live with it : it is the "new normal" I hate the term "collateral damage" but it might have to come to that, with life going on but
not like before. Awful choices to make
Indeed and yes we are going to have to find a way to co-exist with this COVID-19 fecker because it ain't going to go away any time soon. It is a mindless organism with a mission to prolong its life by finding new hosts.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hope clubs that are digging up their pitches are using fast growing grass seeds, just in case!

IndoMike

Indeed and yes we are going to have to find a way to co-exist with this COVID-19 fecker because it ain't going to go away any time soon. It is a mindless organism with a mission to prolong its life by finding new hosts.
Yep. It's mindless, but it behaves like one of them there evil spirits like in the Omen : the kant just won't go away. Persistent; always waiting for us to drop.our guard
(PS. No, I haven't gone mad)

Banksy

Hope clubs that are digging up their pitches are using fast growing grass seeds, just in case!
I think they’ll be quite safe.Anyway the season should be voided soonest , all this speculation and indecision is getting silly. And with the pending economic situation throughout the world football will be one of the last things on folks’ minds.

IndoMike

I think they’ll be quite safe.Anyway the season should be voided soonest , all this speculation and indecision is getting silly. And with the pending economic situation throughout the world football will be one of the last things on folks’ minds.
You're right. We might have to take SJP back in time and use it for sheep grazing and vegetable patches.

Legohead

Banned
It's not safe to resume football and won't be for some time. I'm really having a problem with why the authorities can't see this and thus come to a concrete decision. I'm actually gradually losing interest in the game. The decision makers want it resuming due to money and are not prepared to face the reality of there being no football for this year at least.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not safe to resume football and won't be for some time. I'm really having a problem with why the authorities can't see this and thus come to a concrete decision. I'm actually gradually losing interest in the game. The decision makers want it resuming due to money and are not prepared to face the reality of there being no football for this year at least.
I doubt if it'll be as long as a year but the French saying September at the earliest seems about right to me.

chrisw

I was looking forward to our season ending in July/August with games in the summer but this is obviously not going to happen. I would have thought one could finish this season in early November and then 20/21 starting in December through until the beginning of June. The contract legalities should not be insurmountable and whilst there are obviously more important issues it would be good to maintain the integrity surrounding previous fixtures.