• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fleetwood to Turkey United

Cider

Ok, so he had one attempt, a totally lame ass effort from about the spot where he scored agin D & R, missed by a mile.

I am on record as liking the boy as a player, unfortunately I think he was a better player aged 18 than he is now. No doubting he has the eye, a modicum of pace although I think that has been over estimated due to the natural cadence of yer short arse, but he don't challenge effectively, can't head a ball, and although he does make runs I don't feel they are the most intelligent ones I have ever seen ie. he tends to get himself blind sided from his potential supply. In his defence he is only 23 and has a history of scoring quite a few, but at a level, he scored three for us last season, Ben Watson and Macca scored at a quicker rate visa minutes on the pitch, you could suggest he wasn't fit when he came to us, I would ask why a professional athlete found himself to be unfit in the middle of his season, you could argue match fit but my impression was that he looked fairly sharp from day one and simply ran out of gas.

Fleetwood IMHO is an out and out striker, all he will do is score you a hatful of goals, but to get value he needs to be the focus of all your efforts and the quality of supply needs to be of the highest order. The other caveat as I see it is that he will score loads against Conference defenders, whether that is true up a level or two is still in doubt.

In short, heh heh, I would take him full time but not at the money both he and Charlton would demand, on the other hand Welling had a couple of youngsters I would snatch your hand off for if their form of last night was repeatable.
Totally agree. Would take him so that Tis and the team can work on him but not at any cost.

brumgrecian

Fleetwood scored 3 belters, the finish at Brentford was excellent. However I also saw him miss a load and overall I would not say he is worth the rumoured amounts. As for him or Stanno, well for me neither will be up to L1 standard. The difference is that Stanno will work and work and if I had to chose between the two, not sure. Fleetwood can always win a game out of nothing and Stanno will work and work which in itself will create chances. Guess you go on the law of averages.
Fair point. However, being that Tisdale likes to develop and improve players, i'd say there's far more scope for improvement with Fleetwood than Stanno. I like Stanno but can't see him improving much beyond his current ability, while I think with some tweaks here and there and perhaps an improvement in his attitude, Fleetwood could potentially be a regular goalscorer at this level. He's got the ability (as shown by his 3 goals).

But, I'd have thought if Tis wanted him that much then he'd be here by now, so perhaps those rumoured amounts you mention are putting Tis off.

Going away from the thread slightly, but can we assume by the silence that Troy won't be joining us for another year? Would leave a big hole in defence which we'd need to replace.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd welcome Fleetwood back like a shot (albeit not at any price to concur with others).

At Rotherham he missed a hatful. However, importantly he got himself into the positions mainly through the jet-propellers that he seems to have in his feet. One chance in particular I remember him giving the defender a good 5-6 yards start, yet burst past him. The midfielders knew this, so were happy to put balls in behind the defence that they knew he could get onto even when looking odds seriously against.

The three goals he scored were all absolute belters, and he earned us a vital point at Rochdale with his pace earning us a penalty (a point I believe made all the difference to our confidence in the run-in).

londonboy80

I think he might start the season at Charlton and then be farmed out on loan in January or made available on the cheap, at which point Exeter City having only scored three goals in the opening half of the seaon will pounce to secure his services..

brumgrecian

The three goals he scored were all absolute belters
That's the sealer for me - I don't think any of our current strikers would have scored that goal at Brentford, the finish was pure class.

Considering the odds are that against better defences we'll create less chances this season, whether it be him or another similar type of striker, we need someone with that extra bit of quality to take some of those Brentford type chances when they come along. At the moment I don't think we do (Barry Corr excluded as I have never seen him play, however from what I gather he doesn't seem that 'type' of striker)