• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Feedback on Acadamy

benjisheps

Worth mentioning the impact that Simon Hayward has had on our academy from top to bottom. Having spent a year writing the U18 match reports a few years ago it was very clear that his philosophies were integral to the academy's success. To say he is so important to what is essentially the club's most valuable asset it would be nice to see him recognised more publicly.

Going back over old ground a little but it's also clear to me that the continuity we have with our first team management makes the route for progression from academy to first team much more open than if we had a manager with a more short term view. In essence, Long Live King Tisdale!
Totally agree about the work that Simon Hayward has put in behind the scenes over numerous years for the club. The whole structure and organizational set-up of the youth academy was a large part of his work. It is unfortunate that things between him and the club seem to have gone array and he will be leaving but best of luck to him in the future!!!

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Any thoughts about the feedback on the academy, Malcolm? You have previously been against the idea I think, believing City should invest in a better scouting network to pick up quality players from other clubs. Not disagreeing or agreeing with you by the way, just interested in your views on the academy now it seems to be bearing fruit.
It would be churlish to criticise the route that Taggy took the club down in terms of youth development. Players have been produced who have represented the club at first team level and some who have gone on to earn good money in the transfer market. Do I think we could have used other clubs youth setups to achieve the same ends? Probably, but we would have needed to invest in a scouting setup that developed a network of contacts who could could recommend young players from other professional clubs, or perhaps more importantly, non league clubs. It has taken the best part of 10 years or more to get where we are with the Academy when perhaps a scouting setup could have identified players who were closer to the finished article earlier. I know a lot of people will point to the Community element of having 7 or 8 different age groups going through the process, but the vast majority will never get close to a first team place, so would it have been better to reduce the number and improve the chances of more contributing to the first team? I guess you pay your money and take your choice.

I'm sure Jason and others will point to Yeovil and Torquay and suggest this is proof that canning your Youth setup doesn't work. Neither of these clubs had scouting setups that could identify players that were able to provide an alternative and as a consequence, the process failed.

budegrecian

Totally agree about the work that Simon Hayward has put in behind the scenes over numerous years for the club. The whole structure and organizational set-up of the youth academy was a large part of his work. It is unfortunate that things between him and the club seem to have gone array and he will be leaving but best of luck to him in the future!!!
Yes, I hope his contribution won't be forgotten. Another one who worked for nothing originally, when we had no money, I believe. He certainly leaves the academy significantly better than when he started.
Good luck.

chunkymorrinmunter

Yes, I hope his contribution won't be forgotten. Another one who worked for nothing originally, when we had no money, I believe. He certainly leaves the academy significantly better than when he started.
Good luck.
Why is he departing? he's been the mainstay.

budegrecian

Don't know the details, but there was some sort of fall out with the club hierarchy I gather.

PeteUSA

Don't know the details, but there was some sort of fall out with the club hierarchy I gather.
If theres any truth in that, its a f*****g disgrace! It annoys the sh/it out of me that Tisdale appears to be taking all the plaudits for the academy, and never once makes reference to the work that Mr Hayward puts in! If I recall correctly, Tisdale didnt make a big deal about the academy until relelatively recently, preferring instead to bring in injury prone journeymen like Parkin! Tisdale has only been bigging up the academy for five years or so, which I assume is one of the reasons Mr Hayward wants away, assuming thats true? I'm livid if it is!

fred binneys head

Just make sure you don't get livid until you know it is though, Pate.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
God we are on a short fuse- has anything been released by the club, or is it heresay -a friend of a friend, and therefore becomes exeweb fact like Tisdales salary.

Red Bill

God we are on a short fuse- has anything been released by the club, or is it heresay -a friend of a friend, and therefore becomes exeweb fact like Tisdales salary.
Tisdale's salary had some evidence behind it, this just seems to have been plucked out of thin air!

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale's salary had some evidence behind it, this just seems to have been plucked out of thin air!
Knowing Mr Bude he would not have posted with out some substance trust me he would have some inside knowledge on this one albeit limited