• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fan Q&A

Gabriel

Exeter fans,

Done a Q&A with fan Chris Bidgood ahead of the new season - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/exeter-city-season-preview-holmes-impressing/

Would be interested to get your views on Tisdale - do you think the team would perform better with a more old-school manager?

Cheers and good luck for the season.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
A good read, cheers.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, a good read(y)

Gabriel

Cheers lads - your views on Tisdale?

PeteUSA

Can I just answer questions one and two?

Question one:

Paul Tisdale is well beyond the point where he should still be managing the club. He got lucky in the first part of his tenure with more than adaquate back-up from a fit Steve Perryman (with cellphone), Russell Osman, John Yems, Tillson, and numorous other people with proper footballing knowledge; Even Rob Edwards had become extremely helfull to Tisdale before his ill fated departure.

Tisdale has been more than adaquately re-embursed for what he did for us in seasons gone past, but its plainly evident that alone he's not the complete football manager that we're paying for. His post match interviews always show him up badly, as do his ideas of team selection (Morrison starting at Anfield!) His ideas of tactics and who plays where are also badly lacking. In short; if it were any other club with a proper trustworty behind the scenes setup, he would have been gone about three seasons ago! I'll leave others to explain why he's still with us, even though we're a fan owned club.

Question two:

'Bobby' Olejnik is not an automatic number one for the others to learn from as far as I'm concerned. He's another questionable keeper, which brings our total up to three. BO cost us a lot of points last season, and until somebody suggests to him that he can come to the edge of his 6 yard box occasionally for corners and crosses if he likes, that wont change. He's indecisive, which he shouldn't be, since he's built like a mean brick outhouse!

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Frustrating. I do admire his philosophies and beliefs wiith how he wants us to play and conduct ourselves but am well aware it limits our chances against the likes mentioned in the Q&A (Wycombe, Barnet, Wombles etc). Home form, if it wasn't already, is just unacceptable and has led to me making the decision not to renew my season ticket. It's been a major problem ever since we came back into League 2 and Tis has found no way of rectifying it. Also, the excuse of the winter weather's effect on the pitches being a reason for our usual mid-season slump doesn't wash with me. However, ulitmately, for me, while the club's main focus is to have and maintain a solid, producing youth academy, as opposed to caring about the on-pitch performances of the first team, Tisdale should remain, as I suspect he's more than fufilling the expectations of those above him.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I would like a change. He was great for the club for five years, but lacked the consistency to repeat those achievements, and his stubbornness has meant I have lost respect for him.

As he is still our manager I would rather he managed to find that successful formula again as the alternative is more frustration or a sharp downturn in our fortunes. League two football isn't complicated, he needs to find a way to make us more attacking and competitive at home. Doesn't need to alter much about our away form.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would be interested to get your views on Tisdale - do you think the team would perform better with a more old-school manager?
Tisdale is frustratingly stubborn and sometimes seems to try something 'clever' rather than the simple, obvious and accepted way. I'm not sure that we'd do that much better with someone else, after all Tisdale himself got the team to dizzying heights compared to our history. At the very core we're just not very could, rarely ever have been and probably won't be in the future either.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the person in the Q&A has it on good authority that JMT will play at left back this season.....If so I'd be happy with that

Gabriel

Interesting. Only saw your lot 3/4 times last season, but I look at your squad and think you should have challenged for at least the top 7.