• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fabio Capello

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
How can you not be bothered about the National side ?? It's important England do well, I'd love to see the World Cup staged here.

I think Capello is a shrewd appt, will be interesting to see if he selects Becks for the squad in Feb....
Surely Captain for his 100th cap?

ecfc2000

Another Sven. Great in league but thats where it ends. Another bad appointment in my book.

L

London Exile

I'm with you Stroud, I think he should be given the captains armband for his 100th cap. Whatever people thinks of Becks, he's been a good servant to England.

SimonBB

Isn't going to change the fact the players still aren't good enough. Would the top four sides in the prem change their players for the England Squad??

The answer is no as there are simply better foreign players.

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
No - it should have been Mourinho!

CITY CASUAL

It gets the [y] from me.[england]

finetime

I don't think there is a better manager of 'star names' around. He's won things wherever he's been and doesn't seem fazed by the media or pressure. He handled the circus that is Real Madrid admirably. Twice. I'd also hasten to add his preferred 'catenaccio' system will probably suit the players he will have available to him. I don't think the football will be particularly amazing or creative but...when has it ever been? One good game against the Dutch in 15 years? It's not he *root and branch* investigation into lack of coaching, problems from years 5 upwards that we need but at least they have got the most tactically astute, experienced coach around. I hope he's given some young English coaches and managers to work with during his time here.

Woodsy

Good appointment, best out of all the people who put in the names in the hat. Now the FA need to get there act together and sort out the rest of the problems they have.
Course im bothered about who takes over, even though we where rubbish nothing beat the feeling of being out in Germany last year.

GrecianInWales

As somebody who's not that bothered about international football, mainly because the Welsh are awful and I get very hacked off with the hysteria around England very quickly, I still think this is a) a good appointment and b) yes, people should care.

A) because he's a proven winner and isn't afriad to bruise a few egos in the process. I've always got the impression that Capello's certainly got a lot more behind him than Sven and isn't afriad to give out a bollocking if needs be. Plus the fact he genuinely wants the job has to be positive.

Mouriniho would have probably been the best choice, but there's little you can do if he doesn't want the job.

B) Yes, it does matter because, hysteria surrounding England at every national tournament aside, the England team should be both the heartbeat for the national game and the inspiration behind the next generation to footballers.

To expand: I firmly believe that for an international side to succeed you need to have a system in place that indenifies players from a young age, and nurtures them, and enables them to play at the highest level. I think Capello understands this, and I think this will benefit the whole Premier league in the long-run if he builds not just for the now, but for the future.

Secondly, if you've got the national team doing well, hopefully it'll inspire more youngsters to take up the game and dream of playing for their country one day. If there's a malaise surrounding the game, this will have a slow knock-on effect, and may see youngsters turn to another sport.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
must agree with taylor04 would of prefered an englishman - martin o`neill my prefered replacement but he said no !!
Martin O'Neill is Northern Irish though. Why would you want him as England manager?