• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Blackpool matchday thread

Ex-eater

We played to much hoof ball the first half to have Mc upfront on his own, it may well have been gone differently for him had Simpson not been taken off as the lad definitely needs someone to play off, I can see why Tis sees him and Simmson as a pairing, I dont agree as someone said earlier that he is lightweight he strengths lie in movement, pace and reading the game so hoof ball will just render that kind of player usless and more suited to the type of player Reid is, Ollie and Mc don't work together as they are both more skill players they both need muscle with them.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having watched the highlights I would blame pym for the first too - he should have pushed it wide, it wasn't going fast.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

We played to much hoof ball the first half to have Mc upfront on his own, it may well have been gone differently for him had Simpson not been taken off as the lad definitely needs someone to play off, I can see why Tis sees him and Simmson as a pairing, I dont agree as someone said earlier that he is lightweight he strengths lie in movement, pace and reading the game so hoof ball will just render that kind of player usless and more suited to the type of player Reid is, Ollie and Mc don't work together as they are both more skill players they both need muscle with them.
Whether his strengths are pace and movement or not are immaterial, it's still a fact that he is lightweight and easily knocked off the ball. That's not a criticism of him by the way, just the way it is.

Red Devon

Good substitution but we could have started with those players instead of giving ourselves a mountain to climb. Still in the hunt, put it together City!
Thought the substitution of McAlinden broke the flow of our game....we had started the second half very well up until that point after that our game suddenly fell away just like in the first half....James and Woodman were very poor today and Wheeler struggled to get into the game which was disappointing...Brown, Stacey and JMT all played very well, somehow we've got to get back to keeping clean sheets again!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Very happy with a point given the way the afternoon panned out.

Wasn't pleased to see Watkins and Reid both out of the starting line up but understand why Tisdale did it. Simpson hasn't proved a successful signing but never nice to see someone suffer a bad injury. From the interview comments I think he must be on a two year deal so hopefully he can recover and play a supporting role , or be loaned out to get some game time.

We probably should have gone ahead in the incident where Simpson was injured, but after that we struggled to get going. First goal was reminiscent of Stevenage with the defence failing to stop the run, Pym made the save but needed to do more to push it away. The forward had a simple finish, the second goal wasn't good either. Pym today seemed slow to come off his line a number of times, didn't get any distance on his punch and no one managed to throw themselves in the way of another fairly simple finish. Good work by Stacey to pick out Watkins for a tap in at a vital time which made the half time score a lot more positive.

Second half we had more play but found Blackpool difficult to break down. Went far too direct for me, instead of getting more out of grant and wheeler. I was pleased though to see positive and proactive subs made. We went very open and seemed to employ a fluid game with different attacking formations. Didn't think the second was coming as we didn't trouble the keeper enough but well done for keeping going, Watkins put in a great cross and was a good strikers finish from Reid which I don't think many other players would have scored. Blackpool must have felt gutted at the end although they weren't a great side. Was a plus that we kept pushing for the winner at the risk of conceding again, although not great for the nerves.

Still in a good position but feel we really want at least four points from the away matches now, we need to address how we play when we go behind as well as trying to find the defensive solidity we had before the last four games.

Ex-eater

Whether his strengths are pace and movement or not are immaterial, it's still a fact that he is lightweight and easily knocked off the ball. That's not a criticism of him by the way, just the way it is.
Yes I no what you mean! I just didn't see him as lightweight just not a hold up player, Ollie often ends up on the floor and I wouldn't say he was lightweight either just hold up isn't his best trate, that's why they aren't suited together without someone else forward to hold the ball up , however those two do compliment we each other in other ways like on a break.

dontpassback

I too think Pym could have done better with both goals,but he will know that and it should make him a better keeper.

elginCity

For both their goals the ball fell fortuitously, on another day ? Thought Pym did well to get even a limp hand to the first, a shot in the box that went through Woody's legs and was heading for the corner.

elginCity

Should have won really but the omens were against us. The word 'thread' missing from this thread initially. Dr Dave posting the weather report on the wrong thread.
....not to mention 'City' going missing. :D

rp42

Attendance - 4125
Inc away - 228
What is the chances of that exactly the same number of fans as the Stevenage game?