• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City's pasties

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was at Chiefs on Saturday (free ticket...game was so boring that I felt ripped off). Anyway, they had a pasty wagon (for the name that really put City to shame). Downside was that it was £4+, but TBH the product was so much better than what City serve up that I didn't mind paying 2 quid more. There's been times at City that I've had a pasty where the middle of the filling is cold, and I'm not talking about being lukewarm, I mean cold like it's come out the fridge.
I haven't been up there for a couple of years but have had a pasty or two up there in the past and fully concur that it was worth the extra.

I do find it mildly irritating that the hot food at City is of such poor quality. The pasties are mainly pastry and when you get to the filling it's just a mush, i dread to think what's in the sausage rolls but they seems to be 90% fat, and the pies are impossible to eat because they just fall apart.

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
That said, many complained when they amended the menu and offered fancy coffee. Getting the right balance is difficult.
The problem with the coffee was more down to them not knowing how to use the machines...or have hot water. Remember seeing a guy steam some tap water to make a cup of tea. For a while there was also a guy at the bottom of the bank that did espresso, I think that Jambo was his only client.

wemissmoxey

I've never really understood the desire to buy food etc from a football ground.

If you are going straight from home why not just have something half decent beforehand ??

If you are going from work / or from a pub etc why not just call in somewhere half decent on the way ?? Walking in from the city centre there are shed loads of options.

I appreciate for some it is a bit of a tradition however to be brutally honest the fare on offer looks and smells absolutely disgusting hence why I have never eaten anything from SJP.

Last edited:

bazza1953

I have to say our pasties are disgusting. We miss a real opportunity at the park with our catering. Many people now buy hold and cold drinks (at Red Square) and yet apart from the burger van and the ground outlets there is nothing worth having. It may take a little while to settle but I believe if we produced good food, people would buy it. I hate to say it but look at plainmoor where you can get good food in the club ouse, and indeed at kidderminster (both now conference) you can get quality food. we miss out here, I have even seen WAGS in the clubhouse upstairs bringing in their own m & s sandwiches - what a joke. Surely the marketing and catering staff should do more. As for our Shaul Bakery pasties (I think) I would not buy. As for weismoxey saying buy it before or after, are we not missing a chance of more cash here?

wemissmoxey

As for weismoxey saying buy it before or after, are we not missing a chance of more cash here?
Of course however I'm just saying from a personal point of view I wouldn't buy food at SJP, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm quite protective of what goes inside my mouth and body !! ;)

Last edited:

Grecian2K

I've never really understood the desire to buy food etc from a football ground.

If you are going straight from home why not just have something half decent beforehand ??

If you are going from work / or from a pub etc why not just call in somewhere half decent on the way ?? Walking in from the city centre there are shed loads of options.

I appreciate for some it is a bit of a tradition however to be brutally honest the fare on offer looks and smells absolutely disgusting hence why I have never eaten anything from SJP.
To be fair to the club though Missy.

They did try to fulfil your particular dietary requirements for as long as they possibly could

Last edited:

wemissmoxey

This morsel will tickle your fancy Grecian2Faced, fresh out of the oven and all yours:

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Throw in a nice bit of the old "fromage" there Missy and you might even have a deal!

After all, even you have to admit that the quality of our local CHEESE has improved recently.

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
i would buy an espresso at a football match. italian flair innit.

Rog H K

Been to Rugby at SP once. Went up to get pint and food just before HT ,25 minutes to get served and £8 later, pasty was lukewarm. Only been SP once, was I unlucky or is this the norm? I don't get food in the ground. Might grab a pie or pasty at bottle bar in spot and they are good value.