• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definitely - Personally think the women’s game would benefit from some kind of summer season...would probably encourage more people to go!
What happened to equality? Why should women play during the summer when football is a winter sport? As for encouragement, just bide your time like Danny needs to. When the girls in the current junior game come through and they don't get the equality then maybe you'll have something to shout about because some of the girls I've seen are as good as any of the boys but at the moment the equality in standard in the womens game isn't there. That's why none of the top womens sides, let alone City, play at their clubs main stadium except in the odd circumstance. Danny boy needs to get that through his thick skull.

Stelios

Would it not be better for the Women's team to become a completely separate entity from the men's side? That way they can get their own sponsors and build their own ground and pay their players proper wages? I feel being attached to 4th tier men's team is holding them back. With all the tens of thousands of new houses and new towns scheduled to be built in East Devon in the coming years there is also plans for a new sports stadium somewhere. Perhaps they could play there?

Dannyred

Would it not be better for the Women's team to become a completely separate entity from the men's side? That way they can get their own sponsors and build their own ground and pay their players proper wages? I feel being attached to 4th tier men's team is holding them back. With all the tens of thousands of new houses and new towns scheduled to be built in East Devon in the coming years there is also plans for a new sports stadium somewhere. Perhaps they could play there?
Maybe you would be happy to stop female supporters coming to support the men’s team, think how much money the club would lose but it’s ok as they are not really welcome in your mind as they should be elsewhere.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you would be happy to stop female supporters coming to support the men’s team, think how much money the club would lose but it’s ok as they are not really welcome in your mind as they should be elsewhere.
What a bizarre way to interpret what Stelios said and twist it completely. Even by your standards that's a corker.

Dannyred

What happened to equality? Why should women play during the summer when football is a winter sport? As for encouragement, just bide your time like Danny needs to. When the girls in the current junior game come through and they don't get the equality then maybe you'll have something to shout about because some of the girls I've seen are as good as any of the boys but at the moment the equality in standard in the womens game isn't there. That's why none of the top womens sides, let alone City, play at their clubs main stadium except in the odd circumstance. Danny boy needs to get that through his thick skull.
Thick skull ? If only I knew as much as you about women’s football and what’s going on within the women’s game.

Stelios

What a bizarre way to interpret what Stelios said and twist it completely. Even by your standards that's a corker.
It's too easy.

I wonder if Dannyred also compiles Lib Dem bar charts in his/her spare time?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thick skull ? If only I knew as much as you about women’s football and what’s going on within the women’s game.
How much have you actually watched recently of both male and female right through the levels to draw relative comparisons? My eldest plays girls/ladies football (she's 16) and is part of the Devon FA development squad so I've been fortunate enough to see the depth of the girls game and ability last season watching Crediton. I'm now watching the best the county has to offer through Chloe being with Devon. I've watched the Devon squad play against a local boys club side. I've watched her play for a Devon Division 1 League side with Cullompton. The womens game is years behind the girls game in standards and is nowhere near the mens standard. This is why I keep telling you you have to bide your time for a bit. You wouldn't try selling a Hyundai in a Jaguar garage and that is what your trying to do by giving it large about the womens game playing in large stadia. Apart from international level, it's not ready for it......… yet.

Stelios

How much have you actually watched recently of both male and female right through the levels to draw relative comparisons? My eldest plays girls/ladies football (she's 16) and is part of the Devon FA development squad so I've been fortunate enough to see the depth of the girls game and ability last season watching Crediton. I'm now watching the best the county has to offer through Chloe being with Devon. I've watched the Devon squad play against a local boys club side. I've watched her play for a Devon Division 1 League side with Cullompton. The womens game is years behind the girls game in standards and is nowhere near the mens standard. This is why I keep telling you you have to bide your time for a bit. You wouldn't try selling a Hyundai in a Jaguar garage and that is what your trying to do by giving it large about the womens game playing in large stadia. Apart from international level, it's not ready for it......… yet.
You'll know far more about girls/women's football than me but I think what is happening with the profile of women's football is changing massively and very quickly at a far quicker rate than the quality of the football. New sponsors, higher profile, more TV coverage etc. People are thinking they would actually rather have a Hyundai than Jaguar in some circumstances. Old male football fans like me will look at a 'top' women's game and say "But they're barely non-league standard. Come back in a few years and I might me interested" but huge parts of the population just don''t look at it that way. We're the ones being 'left behind'.

There is a lot more to women's football than just the quality of the football (compared to the men's game) and once I got my head around that it starts to make a lot more sense. Of course the quality definitely is improving all the time too, which helps.

Last edited:

Stelios

My one massive gripe with all the coverage is the double standards. On the one hand we're told by women's football pundits we're not allowed to compare men's and women's football. "They're different games. It's not the same. Don't compare". Fine.

But on the other hand any success of the England women's team immediately gets compared/contrasted with the success or lack of the men's team. You can just imagine if/when the women's team wins a World Cup or Euro. "Why are they getting paid less than the men's team who haven't won anything since 1966? It's an outrage". It's already happening now.

Same with "women's sides" playing in "men's" stadiums. If they're different games why are we comparing the two all the time?

There is a lot of things about the women's game that I think are actually better than the men's game too btw. Lack of diving/gamesmanship/histrionics/breaking up play etc. But don't be surprised if that starts creeping in with more "professionalism" etc.

Hence my, only slightly, tongue-in-cheek comment about women's sides having a complete break from the the men's sides and doing their own thing.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Would it not be better for the Women's team to become a completely separate entity from the men's side?
At the moment this is the case. They're not part of Exeter City FC LTD, but part of the Community Trust (CCT). As they nearly folded, I think this is a good place to start and build Women's football within the name of Exeter City. At the moment, off the field, they need to build a brand that will attract increased sponsorship, and mean that the Women aren't playing a fee to play. I think we're a little way off all the women getting paid a wage.