• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread (Boxing Day 2023)

Mid Devon Grecian

Did alright today I thought, apart from one incident when he got caught waiting for the ball on the half way line and allowed their player to nick it off him. Looked useful when he came on at Cambridge as well.
You missed the ‘trying to waste time down the left exercise’ that ended with him duffing it straight to a Wycombe player then?

hillview red

Really don't like this picking on Aimson. Not seen anything to suggest he's less committed than anyone else. Not had the best season, but he's far from the bottom of the pile. Cut the guy some slack, he's a way from home, struggling with his game in a team that's struggling.
Completely agree. Quite confused by the negativity towards him. I actually don't think he's struggling that badly. In the first half he scuffed one 40 yard diagonal he tried. He made a couple of other errors but worked hard, won his headers, put his body on the line etc.

If you're a defender in a team who's attack scores 3 in about 13 games then you're going to be under pressure...

With the exception of Bolton away, I'm not sure the spotlight should be on our defence.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Watched the game on I follow today and feel we definitely deserved the win even if Wycombe didn’t look great. We played some good stuff at times and had a decent second half. Three good saves by their keeper stopped us making it more comfortable.

it was backs to the wall late on once Wycombe realised they were going nowhere and had to gamble by throwing more bodies forward and lumping it in and around our box. The penalty decision was imo atrocious and sinisalo’s save fully deserved.

January window is clearly huge as we need more goals to give ourselves a realistic chance. The tough decision as well as finding the required quality is how many we need to sign as we seem to still be regularly be losing players to either bad luck or the injuries that tend to just happen. In addition to Mitchell who we won’t see this season I believe we are missing fitzwater, harper, trevitt, wildschut, watts, Muskwe and I therefore assume we will suffer more absences including potentially some suspensions. I think we ideally need minimum three, ideally four.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was his usual brain dead self. Some nice touches, ridiculous attempt at keeping the ball in the corner and a couple of lazy fouls that didn't help us.

He's infuriating.
Don’t disagree with any of this, but thought there were a few more nice touches than has sometimes been the case. For the avoidance of any doubt, I’m not a Scott fan - far from it - but thought he did okay today.

Last edited:

Mid Devon Grecian

There are a number of posts on this thread that imply we’re not up to it but ‘that’s ok’

Same old City, mustn’t grumble eh lads?

LDNGrecian

Like the corner that has only two city players outside the Wycombe box… and one was Sonny…

And Jules was back for corners, but both Rankine and Niskanen were forward, Ilmari often at the back post. Wtf.

Some things we’re doing are just weirdly tin pot silly.
1) I’m all for the short corners as they are aiming to create either a 1v1 for Rankine (who id back to win 80% of the time against league 1 defenders) or a shot or cross at an angle by Cole. We have a tiny team so getting it into the mixer straight from a corner is not going to be effective.

2) Long throws aiming at Carroll are not worth doing.

3)The set pieces are Kevin Nicholson’s responsibility. Criticism or praise directed at him.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Worse thing about those breaks which gave Scott every chance to run for the corner flag or just try and get a deflected throw in and keep the ball in their half. Each time he did try some fancy footwork but actually presented the ball to their defence that were able to start another attack.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
https://www.thestatszone.com/football/how-many-points-are-needed-for-league-1-survival say average points for highest team relegated from L1 since 1995 / 1996 is 47.9 and highest points were 51.
Only another 30ish to go then !
Up The Democratic City
Given that 20 points is enough to be outside the relegation zone half-way through the season we could be in for an unusually low number of points needed to stay up.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Second game in a row, the “penalty” at Cambridge was harsh to say the least…
Fourth, if you are include the goal against Port Vale which most people seemed to think was offside and Jack's dubious sending-off at Stevenage.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure I'd feel very inspired by this interview if I was a Wycombe fan; I wonder how long it will be before they ask Gareth Ainsworth to put down his guitar and come back home.