• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Torquay Utd Official Matchday Thread.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have just walked in the door......I have read nothing on here yet.........I am posting nothing objectively tonight.........looking forward to reading everything in a minute...........%#€$%#}{~<>^%# !!!!!!!...........I cannot believe what I witnessed in that 2nd half......

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was nothing short of embarrassing.

For the first 30 odd minutes i was thinking, i can see why this lot are bottom of the league, then, guess what, we just sat back on our arses and let them attack us.

They had a bit of pace up front and, against our pedestrian back four who they were invited on to by our negativity, then went for. I've thought in the past that running in a butter field had come in for some unfair criticism but today i saw him "chase" down a ball more slowly than any animal, vegetable or mineral that is known to man. Nobody came out of this well. Can anyone tell me what it is that Oakley does or has done in recent memory, especially when Keohane is waiting in the wings?

I've never been that pro or anti Tisdale but even i have a breaking point. We have some decent players, it is the selection, the formation, the tactics that fail us. Back when we were ****e, and i mean ****e, back when Tisdale was somewhere else and had hair, we all knew it. These days there is an arrogant undertone from the likes of that we're actually a good side footballing side, proper chaps playing the right way. Yeah, right.
Amen. 4 1/2 hrs and a packed train home later and am still fuming. Spineless and clueless, and that's just the manager. A good 10 mins from Grimes, a good 30 from Wheeler (but he should have scored after 80) and a first half shift and some from Nicholls. The midfield 4/5/6 were appalling, both skilfully and tactically.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the comment,getting some good information tonight from those that were there.
Those who weren't there will be on later ;)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
What a surprise that out of the three results we needed to be safe tonight it was ours that failed to materialise!

We were poor during the first half, with our goal behind partly down to poor defence from Torquay. Once again Tisdale put out a cautious starting line up leaving grimes, keohane and wheeler on the bench. Everyone back for corners, and we were unable therefore to effectively trouble them too much on the break while a goal ahead. If we could have doubled the lead we could then have gone on to control the game.

The crowd were up for the match and we were so slow at start of the second half. We gave away a poor free kick which was very well finished, then the second goal was just a punt we didn't deal with. I felt pym should have got something behind the shot but he was exposed. After that they had another one on one saved and a cross which was inches away from being turned in before we partly woke up. We didn't even sit behind the ball to soak up pressure.

Wheeler showed when he came on why he should be starting more often. He should have got his effort on target late on but was our best chance to save the game. Once again, the subs were stupidly cautious. Like for like at half time, then after bringing wheeler on which was belatedly the right decision taking o Flynn back off for grimes was lunacy. If o Flynn had to come on it should have been to give us two up front, but I would have looked to include keohane instead. Come the final change we should have been taking off a defender.

We created a few late chances and could have scrambled a draw but the final straw was the corners at the end. Pym was asking whether he could go up to attack and not only told no but we also kept another defender back as well.

The abuse given by the crowd was wholly justified IMO but not widespread enough. While Saturday is vital to our chances of survival I think we will struggle to get more than 3500 unless home fans. If the club have any sense they will cancel any post match awards unless we have somehow won, or drawn with a Northampton loss which should be enough for safety taking into account the GD.

Tisdale I fecking hate your guts and will be letting you know this on Saturday!(swear)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Amen. 4 1/2 hrs and a packed train home later and am still fuming. Spineless and clueless, and that's just the manager. A good 10 mins from Grimes, a good 30 from Wheeler (but he should have scored after 80) and a first half shift and some from Nicholls. The midfield 4/5/6 were appalling, both skilfully and tactically.
And it peed down with rain for the walk home. I didn't acknowledge the Torquay fan until Woking! Fuming!

Citysupporter2099

Tisdale out.

Grimes and Wheeler should both have been starting and what has happened to Jimmy??

Today was disgusting.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Artur, Grimes, Wheeler and Keohane all need to start the next match.

ecfc70

This is the first time i have been since argyle at home, i wont be going again unless there are some big changes
how can we be on their 18 yard line so many times only for it to be back in our own 20 seconds later?
we were so slow to pass the decisive ball that any advantage was lost over and over and over again
i lost count of the times it was begging for one of our players to run wide for a ball to be played there
yes we were 1-0 up at half time but how could anyone clap the performance, it was truly awful
sitting back so deep after going 1 up at home we deserved to lose
no passion for the game let alone for a derby match, even the chipnickers put in some tasty tackles to begin with
for what its worth each player as below

30 Pym - not a lot he could do for the free kick, a good save to stop a 3rd but not very vocal
02 Butterfield - slow, constantly out of position, slow, lacklustre, slow, gave up on balls he thought were going dead only to be proved wrong, did i mention slow
03 Woodman - hmmm, rubbish is all i can say
08 Oakley - cant play with him and gill on the park, lost the ball too often
05 Baldwin - tried hard as captain, vocal but not helped by the rest of them
15 Moore-Taylor - hoof, please stop learning this ****e from coles
07 Sercombe - ran nowhere a lot of the time but at least put some effort in
35 Gill - same as oakley
20 Nichols - is tired and can see why when he gets no support what so ever
04 Bennett - nice finish today but he is not, not, not a striker.....to slow to the second ball
14 Richards - half decent 1st half, kept going and winning the tackles but again no support ends up with no result

Substitutes

01 Krysiak
06 Coles
19 O'Flynn - bye bye, dont let the door hit you on the way out....offered nothing....nothing at all, probably wont need to wash his shirt as he cant have broken a sweat, being subbed says it all
22 Keohane - Should have come on for Oakley or Gill at half time
25 Parkin
29 Grimes - Not enough time on the pitch to have any influence
32 Wheeler - Should have started, was easily the best player on the pitch when he got on and should have got man of the match....maybe he did, i wouldnt know as the feckin PA cut out again and again.......still not fixed it then?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Your prediction prowess is shot to pieces Jay. I refer you to post 41 above.
I've just noticed that. very brave (or foolhardy) to forecast a 4-0 win in light of our truly shocking home form.

:)

Grecian_Jay

I've just noticed that. very brave (or foolhardy) to forecast a 4-0 win in light of our truly shocking home form.

:)
Come on guys, I didn't "predict" a 4-0 win, I said that if we didn't win by at least 4 then it's unacceptable. :)