• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Port Vale Sept 19th Match Day Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Absolutely Mike.It cost us League 1 last season and we have to be careful it doesn’t cost us League 2 this which would be much worse.A midfield dynamo plus someone up front who can actually score , then we’ll start to move.
Hey ho , probably won’t happen and Taylor will just continue to paper over the cracks.Let’s see if they buckle down and redeem themselves against Mansfield.
The Ajose case is like a boulder on Matt's shoulder, Banksy. There might be a perfectly good reason why he isn't playing but we'll never know. Whatever the problem is it needs to be resolved somehow.
I'm not too concerned at the moment but we need to back up some of our neat build-up play with goals. It's a pity that we often seem to be banging our head against the wall.
You know something? Sometimes I think Sparkes could be transformed into an attacking central midfielder. He's tricky, can dribble in tight spaces, and can shoot. He's probably not going to get much game time on the left with Page and Randall/Randell but he's a good player.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Ajose case is like a boulder on Matt's shoulder, Banksy. There might be a perfectly good reason why he isn't playing but we'll never know. Whatever the problem is it needs to be resolved somehow.
I'm not too concerned at the moment but we need to back up some of our neat build-up play with goals. It's a pity that we often seem to be banging our head against the wall.
You know something? Sometimes I think Sparkes could be transformed into an attacking midfielder. He's tricky, can dribble in tight spaces, and can shoot. He's probably not going to get much game time on the left with Page and Randall/Randell but he's a good player.
Sparkes was an attacking player, he was a left winger / attacking midfielder. He started playing full back / wing back last season. His main asset is his crossing, he's our best crosser of a ball. The question is would you put him in the team ahead of Randall ?

Exehausted

I'm not too disappointed. I said at half time that it was in midfield where we had the problem and that was the experienced players. Taylor was anonymous, Nigel was too slow and Archie tried hard but his final pass just wasn't good enough. Kirky blamed the youngsters on the commentary along with Jake Taylor. I just don't get it. I thought Key was great again. He tackled well and got forward well and played some great balls out from the back. Dean again really impressed me. He was calm, passed it well and often got to the ball first. Joel Randall was quiet but when he did get played in his crossing was good, better than Randell's when he came on. Seymour got into two great positions in the box and although he missed them both, one that he should have scored and then brilliant positioning by the keeper who made a save he knew little about. I don't think Nicky Ajose would have been anywhere near either chance. We improved when Nicky Law came on and I expect him to start at Mansfield in place of Nigel. I would also drop Jake Taylor but unfortunately Matt wont do that. Keep creating the chances we did last week and this week and improve with a couple of changes in midfield and we could get a good result at Mansfield.

milts

Sparkes was an attacking player, he was a left winger / attacking midfielder. He started playing full back / wing back last season. His main asset is his crossing, he's our best crosser of a ball. The question is would you put him in the team ahead of Randall ?
Sparkes left. Randall right. Williams benched.

IndoMike

Sparkes left. Randall right. Williams benched.
Pity to leave any one of those out. Like I said above, I'd like Matt to try Sparkes driving forward from midfield and having a pop, with Randall and Randell on the wings. He could replace Taylor. At least try it. He's too good to leave out and a possible future money maker. From all accounts Taylor has been mediocre for quite a while : a bit like Sweeney was

Banksy

So why won’t Taylor drop Taylor , are they related?

IndoMike

3-3. Vale go 2 up but City fight back to lead 3-2 before we fark it up in the last minute.
Cardboard cut-outs loved it and will be back for next game.
Got the first part right. Pity about the second part😝

Albumen

Ward - Ok. Don’t think he could have done a lot about the goal
Key - Hugely promising. Works hard, tidy in possession and good pace.
Page - Excellent first half - looks some player. Quieter in the 2nd half but he’s a very good signing
Dean - Another promising home debut. Composed, strong and doesn’t look out of place.
McArdle - Solid. Will be really important in the development of Dean, Key and others.
Atangana - Broke up play well in the 1st half. Not quite up to speed physically. Sacrificed early to go to a more attacking formation.
Collins - I’m a huge fan but this wasn’t one of his better days. He was fouled in the build up to the 2nd goal which was a huge moment.
Taylor - Not sure what he does? Always busy but never seems to achieve anything apart from buzzing around. He’s not a right midfielder and he’s not a centre mid as he’s not tidy enough in possessions.
Jay - Great last week... Poor this week. Needs to find some consistency this season otherwise Nicky “Man of the Match” Law will be getting the free role
Bowman - A real trier but needs to be cleaner in possession when holding up the ball and MUST convert gilt edged chances.
Randell - Not his day but we shouldn’t expect goals and assists each week. Hugely promising and will learn loads.

Subs -
Williams - Did a few good things but think he’s wasted in a 3-4-3... Needs to be in a 4-3-3 to be most effective.
Law - Tidy and helped us get (and retain) more possession
Seymour - How did he miss that header?!? The 2nd huge chance was a great save but HAS to score at least 1.

Today wasn’t a disaster but we have major problems in the final third. The Ajose conundrum may come to a head soon... Think he might be on at least 2 goals by now if he had played both games...
Youngsters look great. UTC
Absolutely on the money.

Goals make all the difference. But we have created chances in the first two games. More than most people anticipated.

Banksy

Absolutely on the money.

Goals make all the difference. But we have created chances in the first two games. More than most people anticipated.
Creat away but you still need someone who can convert.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Club's match report