• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Bristol Rovers - Official Matchday Thread

Red Monster

Indeed.

Another example of why it's ludicrous to leave early when there's only a goal in it. Ok so we were hopeless for large parts but it only takes a second to score a goal.
The funny thing is some rush back in like they were going to see a replay of the goal !

Red Bill

When a team plays a well as Rovers did yesterday, the other team usually ends up looking poor. We weren't great yesterday but I've seen a lot worse. Our defending particularly in the box was outstanding, backed up by a masterclass from Bobby. I actually thought our midfield did ok first half, although not so good second half and I personally thought Harley had a shocker in that half and looked really exposed without Noble along side him. But where I thought we were very poor was in the link up between midfield and the forwards which didn't seem to have any cohesion whatsoever. Reid, who despite his goal I'm still unsure about, and Morrison really didn't seem to me to be on the same wavelength at all, perhaps not surprising given they haven't played together before(?) but it definitely didn't help things yesterday. But first half the only plan seemed to be either play it in to Clinton and let him hold it until support arrived or try to float a ball over the top for someone to run on to, which given the wind and the fact that neither Clinton (unsurprisingly) or Reid looked to have the beating of their excellent CBs, never really looked like bearing fruit.

In the end though, to come away with a point in a match like yesterday, you really do have to say well done t the lads for not giving up. Rovers could and should have won by at least three yesterday, that was the best performance by an away side I've seen for quite sometime and when your team looks like they haven't played that well, sometimes you just have to accept its because the other side didn't let them.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Indeed.

Another example of why it's ludicrous to leave early when there's only a goal in it. Ok so we were hopeless for large parts but it only takes a second to score a goal.
Irony alert :)

Fully agree with you but did make me laugh.

STURTZ

A Rovers fan told me afterwards that he'd talked to several City supporters and they didn't think the "goal" was offside. Studying the footage I think he definitely was, well done lino!

Spoonz Red E

A Rovers fan told me afterwards that he'd talked to several City supporters and they didn't think the "goal" was offside. Studying the footage I think he definitely was, well done lino!
Definitely. Good call by the linesman.

Here's a still. You can see he's offside when the shot was taken that Bobby parried.

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
sounds like he did and wanted to change,, or am I missing something ?
I imagine the weather forecast changed since last Tuesday when the tactics were decided

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think you are absolutely right about this foxy. The idea that scoring under the bank is easier than at the away end starts to take us down the uni geller route!! Now if we all think positive thoughts we can WILL the bar into the net! I would like to know if there are stats to back the theory up though.
Geoff , it isn't that it's easier to score. Imo it's just that the fans specifically behind the goal feel they can help that bit more when our attacking play is near them. It feels more exciting when we are playing well and going towards the bank. I can see why anyone sitting along the side of the pitch isn't going to be so concerned but when we used to sit I still preferred it going towards the bank but it wasn't as big of an issue to me.

From memory we have scored 12 infront of the bank and 6 at the away end so that points towards it being better towards the bank although of course most of those halves have been the first.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Definitely. Good call by the linesman.

Here's a still. You can see he's offside when the shot was taken that Bobby parried.

That proves me wrong. In real time i thought we were lucky. But fantastic call from the lino.

Yesterday we struggled to adapt to the conditions. Very fortunate to gain a point but what a way to attain an undeserved point and really happy Jamie Reid got it.

JMT and the Rovers player were lucky to remain on the pitch after their little spat.

Overall a good point gained. We just did not get to gripes with the conditions but overall defended fairly well. Olenjik had a good game and it took a cracker to beat him in the end. We seem to be conceding goals of a high quality nature at SJP atm.

tonykellowfan

For me, It was a very entertaining game. Bobby in goal was our hero on the day. Thought their wing backs had very good games against us. Great to get the draw, but they deserved the 3 points and should really have won by 3. That's football, we stuck in there and they didn't take their chances.
Good crowd size yesterday, and atmoshere was excellent. Went nuts when we scored the equaliser.

Think we'll need to play much better to get results in the cup and against Luton. Still unbeaten in 5, need to keep picking up points up to Xmas, before big push in the New year.m
My mate who is a Luton fan reckons they could be getting a new manager soon, their form this season has been way below where they think it should be.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
In his post match interview did Tisdale mention why we made the 5? changes from a good winning performance in midweek?
I'm pretty sure he made a similar number of changes for the Mansfield match too. Didn't hear many complaints then.

Last edited: