• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Arsenal U21 - EFL Trophy - Match day thread. 7.15pm kick off

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the club have any integrity they'll make it free entry. If they're happy to take the **** out of the competition they've no right to take the **** out of the fans as well who are paying to watch this rubbish.
Whilst I'm not excusing the poor performances, surely nobody went last night expecting to see our first team? You know what you're going to get so it's up to you whether you want to pay to go or not.

Unless you mean the 2 home games should have been free entry, the Swindon game is away.
Wouldn’t go to that match if they payed me…

tom_ecfc

But they are paying you to play as a striker 😉

david61

Often think the only game that matters in the LT is the final at Wembley for the 2 teams that get there.

david61

Perhaps Exeter could 'Scunthorpe' it.

tom_ecfc

Often think the only game that matters in the LT is the final at Wembley for the 2 teams that get there.
I would add it does give recently injured players a match to get closer to match fitness and youth players gain experience (not sure how a 9-0, 5-0 does that? Maybe they are just not good enough?!)

Ashford Grecian

Ditto and will be the first match I haven't been to away at Swindon in over 20 years

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst I'm not excusing the poor performances, surely nobody went last night expecting to see our first team? You know what you're going to get so it's up to you whether you want to pay to go or not.
Behave yourself. That's exactly what you're doing: excusing the poor performance.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Behave yourself. That's exactly what you're doing: excusing the poor performance.
No, I'm saying that nobody is forcing anyone to go to the Swindon game. You've seen the results and line ups against Reading and Arsenal - if you're still willing to pay to go and watch the Swindon fixture that's up to you.

MrDubbs

Not to bothered by this result but have a few thoughts

As we all know team has been decimated by injuries and first choice look ok when fit.

Last night was a mix of youngsters and probably 4 first teamers - Sweenz/Aimson, Hartridge, Scott and Aitchison

Added to by squad members Kite (played out of position) Cox and Taylor

As you would expect the Premiership Academy players were bigger, stronger and faster than ours and goals 2-4 were all scored when they counter attacked at pace when there was space for them to run into. First half was turgid from both sides.

I've seen people criticising certain players but what you have to remember is that we didn't play any creative or pacy players at all through choice or injury (No Trevitt, Carroll, Cole, Rankine, Harper, Muskwe, Mitchell, Niskanen) so those who did play were at a huge disadvantage to look good and the Arsenal players were never put under any pressure.

There was no one who stood out particularly for me first teamers were ok nothing more, Richards was comfortable on the ball but without outlets there was no options.

James Scott isn't Sam Nombe his game is completely different so shouldn't be compared, technically he is a better footballer but drops deeper and looks to link play. Whether he will be consistent enough I don't know but has already shown glimpses and whilst he isn't an out and out striker can finish and is currently our top scorer

Caldwell will know the strength and weaknesses better than us so will be aware of where we need to strengthen and when fit the players he has brought in have been good additions