• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v QPR Matchday Thread

DevonSent

I think without Routledge it would have been much closer, he really was classy, quick and great control, I can't understand why he isn't playing in the Prem. QUOTE]

He has had a few chances in the Premiership already with Palace, Spurs, Villa, Fulham and Pompey - and all be the age of 24! Maybe after a few more performances like yesterday, he will get another shot.

Bunker

Poor crowd. 3 games in a short time, should have made some offers on this one.
I think that says a lot about how far we've come. Look at the other attendances last night - 4.6k is pretty damn good

greenawayr

Now I will state that I'm not a boo boy, I'm not having a go at the team or staff, this is just my observation.

Basically I think we're lacking width.

Having been at both games so far this season and a couple of pre-season's we don't seem to have any width.

Our play is very narrow, and then we're sending our strikers out wide to fetch rather hopeful balls, and that's leaving us short on numbers in the middle when we do get in a position to cross. Because we have no width from midfield we're pushing Golbourne up provide it on the left and Duffy just seems reluctant to provide it on the right. The only time we're getting the ball out wide is with our strikers going out there or through som slow convoluted build up which gives the opposition defence time to set themselves.

I think this is why we're struggling to create chances. I know we've been playing some very good teams, but I find it a struggle to remember some serious chances that we've created in the 2 competitive games we've played in. Whilst we're not creating chances, we're always going to create pressure on ourselves as a team as strikers feel the pressure cos chances are few and far between and defenders know that they've got to keep the opposition out as we don't look like scoring.

On the positives, we held our own once again, when in possession and until the first goal, the game could've gone either way, but the difference is QPR created 8 or 9 clear cut chances in the game and we had one or two. We're obviously lacking pace up front, and having a targetman appears to be drawing us into a long ball game.

Danny and Matt seem to have the run of the defence when the balls in the air but seem to be getting sliced apart by any incisive through balls, so maybe we need to go 3 at the back with Troy, Danny and Matt, 5 across the middle to give us that width and then the 2 up front, just my thoughts.

QPR, were a pretty good team, but certainly didn't look a Championship side until they got the goal, then they really stepped up and grew in confidence and our heads dropped. I'm worried about morale after this, but then again, we did alright after the Chesterfield game last season. If we could get Fleetwood in this week, then I think that would act as a serious fillip for the team. Norwood again looked bright and willing when he came on but never had time to make an impact, but then neither did any of our front line as they just aren't getting the service at the moment.

Some pondering for Tis to do no doubt, but I'm sure he'll have something planned.

No need to panic.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Now I will state that I'm not a boo boy, I'm not having a go at the team or staff, this is just my observation.

Having been at both games so far this season and a couple of pre-season's we don't seem to have any width.

Our play is very narrow, and then we're sending our strikers out wide to fetch rather hopeful balls, and that's leaving us short on numbers in the middle when we do get in a position to cross. Because we have no width from midfield we're pushing Golbourne up provide it on the left and Duffy just seems reluctant to provide it on the right. The only time we're getting the ball out wide is with our strikers going out there or through som slow convoluted build up which gives the opposition defence time to set themselves.

I think this is why we're struggling to create chances. I know we've been playing some very good teams, but I find it a struggle to remember some serious chances that we've created in the 2 competitive games we've played in. Whilst we're not creating chances, we're always going to create pressure on ourselves as a team as strikers feel the pressure cos chances are few and far between and defenders know that they've got to keep the opposition out as we don't look like scoring.

On the positives, we held our own once again, when in possession and until the first goal, the game could've gone either way, but the difference is QPR created 8 or 9 clear cut chances in the game and we had one or two. We're obviously lacking pace up front, and having a targetman appears to be drawing us into a long ball game.

Danny and Matt seem to have the run of the defence when the balls in the air but seem to be getting sliced apart by any incisive through balls, so maybe we need to go 3 at the back with Troy, Danny and Matt, 5 across the middle to give us that width and then the 2 up front, just my thoughts.

QPR, were a pretty good team, but certainly didn't look a Championship side until they got the goal, then they really stepped up and grew in confidence and our heads dropped. I'm worried about morale after this, but then again, we did alright after the Chesterfield game last season. If we could get Fleetwood in this week, then I think that would act as a serious fillip for the team. Norwood again looked bright and willing when he came on but never had time to make an impact, but then neither did any of our front line as they just aren't getting the service at the moment.

Some pondering for Tis to do no doubt, but I'm sure he'll have something planned.

No need to panic.
Best summary of the game so far. I agree that we do need width. Also agree that we once again held our own against a good team and, until QPR scored, the game could easily have gone either way.

I do worry about our tendancy to 'collapse' once we've let in a couple of goals. Watching the season review DVD from last year this happenned to us a few times then (2 or 3 goals conceded in a short period of time), but other than that, and the width issue, I think Tis' squad is coming along a treat...

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster

No need to panic.
A very good post. The points you have made are sensible and pretty much spot on.

greenawayr

A very good post. The points you have made are sensible and pretty much spot on.
Well that's just years of Championship Manager training finally paying off!

malcolms

Different slant on things. One of the guys who works for me is a Blackpool fan and he went to Loftus Road on Saturday. Obviously, I was interested in his view on the QPR team and he was not terribly impressed "lots of effort but not much quality" was his assessment.

Far too early to panic but always hate to see teams concede goals by the shedload at home, it's not good for the morale of team or supporters

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that's just years of Championship Manager training finally paying off!
The press are running out of superlatives to describe Greeawayr's recent form!

(sorry, Championship Manager 01/02 reference :) )

Last edited:

greenawayr

The press are running out of superlatives to describe Greeawayr's recent form!

(sorry, Championship Manager 01/02 reference :) )
Exeter City 0 - 5 QPR

Exeter City manager Ryan Greenaway says "We was robbed"!

(At least that's how it would've gone in my game, I can't imagine Tis using such dire cliches, like "We was robbed" or "Putting in a shift". Oh, wait...)

Pete Martin (CTID)

I think that says a lot about how far we've come. Look at the other attendances last night - 4.6k is pretty damn good
Having the 11th highest attendance on a night of 31 first round matches is excellent.

(Highest, Southampton with just over 10,000 - lowest, Accrington with 1,041)