• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale - Official Matchday Thread

David Treharne

Not nearly as bad as feared! It's currently 12c with 50% light grey cloud cover, but a strong wind from the SW blowing at anything from 3-6 depending on whether it's during a shower or not. Despite dire warnings from just about every media outlet we only had 5mm of rain overnight. At the time of writing it's actually sunny, but expect more showers during the morning mixed in with periods of (very) heavy showers. On the other hand the barometric pressure is still dropping which suggests a lengthy period of sunshine and showers ("Joy and Pain are like sunshine and rain" -one for older readers!). I would hope that the sprinklers are not in evidence pre-match as the ground looked in perfect condition yesterday evening.
I'll reserve judgement about likely outcome until it's a little clearer about who will play in midfield (please NOT Harley) it's be good if either JMT or Boeteng were avialble, and if we could sort out just who's going to score the goals.
Update at 13:00

Legohead

Banned
Interesting game in prospect this. One in which perhaps we are expected to win according to the league table but as we know, it's league 2 and anything can happen. I think if we can an early goal then we're in business and should go on to win the game but an early goal for them or if we are struggling to break them down towards mid second half then i can see us struggling to come away with a win.

Hopefully a decent crowd in attendance down at SJP today despite the forecast weather conditions and hopefully the last mentioned won't have too much of a detrimental impact on the game. I'd say Vale would be more suited to an aggressive, dogged display in a hurricane than us.

UTC!

Legohead

Banned
Come on lads, my boss is a Vale fan - please batter them.
Yeah, like Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe! :)

Battered!

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
4-1 City win.

Alistair20000

Weather forecast is for heavy rain at 13:00 and feckin' dire from 15:00.

Full wet gear recommended.

Hopefully the weather will not affect the way we normally play.

UTC

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
tricky match this one. Vale have had the typical upsurge in form since changing manager and won comfortably 3-0 away in the week.

Saying that, we should still have too much for them. I predict a full blooded, scrappy match in shocking conditions

STURTZ

Agree with Legohead in that we need to score early, wonder if we'll play with the wind first half?
Need to win but Vale in resurgence.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
As usual, a-MAZE-ingly detailed weather synopsis from Dr Dave there.

David Treharne

As usual, a-MAZE-ingly detailed weather synopsis from Dr Dave there.
Thank you! Thank you!

It's 14c and despite the dire warnings issues above by Alistair above, it's not yet pouring down although there have been some brisk showers when the wind has gusted to force 6. It certainly ought to be a game of two halves with the wind liable to make it tricky, so it's be hoped that we manage to play football rather than hoofball. I would endorse the need for wet weather gear, but also think a pair of sunnies might be useful in between times. Team selection likely to be crucial in deciding the outcome. Off to FECRACE soon.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Weather forecast is for heavy rain at 13:00 and feckin' dire from 15:00.

Full wet gear recommended.
Man up sir.