• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Lincoln City Matchday Thread

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Well, I drove back to Birmingham last night with the biggest grin on my face the entire way...........what an awesome night.

Got in just before 1am.

Even stopped at the same services as the Lincoln supporters coaches - kind of felt sorry for them knowing how far they had left, having just watched their team get thumped by a quality City side.

Harley outstanding
Boateng outstanding
Central defenders outstanding

As for Rhead.........he's just a ****ing cheating thug - used to play against characters like him at Sunday League level, which is where he belongs too IMO.
Watched him closely last night........he pushes, pulls, grabs and tries to bully - but as soon as he gets the slightest nudge, he play acts like he's been shot - their disallowed goal is the clearest example of this........he's throwing his weight around, then gets a tiny nudge back and leaps two yards like he's been hit in the back by a sledgehammer, throwing his arms in the air, then complains like a biatch.............

What a *****.

tonykellowfan

Great team performance from 1 to 11.

Boateng MOM, although Harley and JMT both were superb.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't help thinking Stockley is the one piece of the jigsaw we needed this time last year against Blackpool.Even with Ollie and Wheels and their goals that would have been the cutting edge.
Doesn't matter one iota now , but maybe this year.:D

tonykellowfan

Boateng is the improvement over last year's team.

Juan Kossof

Also, how does their manager work out that the lino disallowed their goal from 70 yards away? He was stood on the touch line at that end of the pitch - is our pitch really 140 yards wide? Rolling it on SSN all morning this morning and it sounds more like sour grapes each time they show it. Bell.
Apart from the overestimate of distance the replay showed the lino was correct, assuming you're not first calling a foul on Rhead. So I'm not sure what the point is - the match officials made the correct decision from further away than I'd like? What's the lino supposed to do, get on the pitch to be closer?

zeefour

Ok so my match report as a Midlander who lives here now and watched on TV. Exeter deserved the win. Someone wrote somewhere it was Footballers 3 and Rugby players 1 and probably fairly accurate (except for about 5mins where Lincoln did actually play very well). Exeter generally played the football where Lincoln played hoofball most of the game. Moore-Taylor, Boating etc played well. Exeter defended well except the lincoln goal. Three great goals. Disappointed with Lincoln who niggled and in the case of Rhead dived like a beached whale / moaned / spat venom most of the night. First 'penalty' was never a penalty. Second one probably was. Thought a couple of Lincoln players could have been red carded with flying elbows / stamping but Sky commentators (who increasingly seemed to be biased for Lincoln) hardly mentioned this which seemed unbalanced. Exeter went into their shell near the end and on another night that may not have worked, especially if Lincoln had scored a second. Celebrations on the pitch at the end were nothing. If anything happened, they'll soon be found.

Banksy

What I like about JMT is he doesn't take any prisoners .Maybe it was a penalty , but Rhead was kept in his place all evening .Could be the difference in the final .Storey does well too and in the absence of Troy hopefully the solidity at the back will take us through.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

What I like about JMT is he doesn't take any prisoners.
Yes. If JMT hadn't been injured so much this season, we'd already be up via a top 3 slot.

IndoMike

I know you’re replying to Geoff but none of that above is disputed by me. However, and I’m pretty sure I posted as much, during that time I never wanted him to leave, merely to turn it around and he has with successive Wembley appearances.

Also, although in favour of his contract when it was first announced I’ve realised for a while that it was a millstone around both his and the club’s neck. Football is a hyper competitive industry, brutal at times with the way it treats people from owners to managers to players to fans so there is no easy street keep your head down keep quiet job for life anywhere within the sport so it was right to call time on that rolling contract and give him proper targets, incentives and rewards, just like pretty much everyone else within the sport the world over.

It also seems to me that it has to be more than just coincidence that our form turned round at exactly the same time as notice on that contract was served. I don’t buy the injuries cop out, Tis knew he no longer had the easiest job in football and those in positions of authority were forced to look over the parapet and see the natives were getting restless.

But they can woe is me and moan about politics, being hurt and it’s not fair all they like, Tis got the spur he needed and he turned things around to make us a decent side with a real and genuine chance of promotion. We’re scoring goals - good ones too - playing great football again (by and large) and have players others want rather than others’ rejects.

Hopefully this year we’ll go one better and the turnaround will be complete. Hopefully too Tis will sign a new contract and remain for a couple of years yet - both Wenger and Ferguson managed a couple of decades by renewing conventional contracts every couple of years instead of needing long term rollers - and we can put this tricky current period behind the scenes behind us.

So well done Tis, last night was superb with genuine goal of the season goals and a performance that at times was as good as we’ve seen at the Park in a decade. The Lincoln manager was bang on that he was beaten by the better side, and not just a bit better, different planet better. Ask yourself this: how many of their side would get in ours? Green maybe? The rest, not a chance, not even close.

Anyway, again, never mind their penalty or disallowed goal, how about ours when their number five handled in the box at 0-0, and how about fatty up front screaming ‘f***ing cheat’ (you could see it clearly on TV) at our players every time a decision didn’t go his way?
That's all a very fair response, Moxers. Thanks for explaining your position. There is no doubt that it was a big kick up the arse when Tis realized that it wasn't necessarily a job for life. We also have to remember that performances also improved dramatically last season when the rot was stopped after XMAS after the awful start by bringing Matt Taylor and Wayne Carlisle into the coaching team. The rolling aspect of his contract was terminated around that time, if I'm not mistaken, but it was Tis' reaction to that which caused a rift between him and several supporters. Somehow the idea circulated that he was fired - which he wasn't - and Tis did little to correct that. It was always clear that he would be offered a new contract unless something drastic happened, and then it would be up to him to accept it or not. But the situation was never painted that way. He's been at City for 11 years, and he's never been hounded out, unlike many, many other managers. As i said before, City fans are pussycats, not tigers. It was the sense of entitlement which annoyed me plus the digs at the fans.
Even for the biggest Tisdale fans, it has to be realized that sooner or later Tis must go - sooner or later the club must face that and deal with that. In my opinion now is the right time - ten years is a long time for anyone to be in the same job and complacency is always a possible problem. Tisdale must spread his wings and test himself at another club, and we must test ourselves as a club. Are we Exeter City or Paul Tisdale City? Can we only be successful with Tisdale at the helm?
Yes, Fatty Rheady probably ran home to his mum after being confronted by two young teenagers. And Lincoln's manager spent a week trying to stir the sh*t about Tisdale. As I said, I thought Lincoln had already shot their bolt and were ready for the taking, and he knew we were better.
I am just as happy as everyone with the result and hope we can win at Wembley.

Grecian2K

Well, even if last night does (sadly!!) turn out to be Tisdale's SJP swansong at least he's left us with a true gem of a game to remember him by.
[ecfc] (tisdale) [ecfc]