• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Hull City Relegation season

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Russell and Lewis shelled out a fortune to get fat Lee Sharpe into our team, we were good that day but it all ended in tears.
We later learned that the last thing on their mind was football or the football team. They only appointed McNab because he was available. His previous record was irrellevant when all they were interested in was getting as much money as they could out of the club. They had absolutely zero interest in football; they just wanted to drain the clubs money out of the club for personal gain. Isnt it reassuring that the club is now being run properly, and that type of thing could never happen again?

andrew p long

Russell and Lewis shelled out a fortune to get fat Lee Sharpe into our team, we were good that day but it all ended in tears.
yes R&L were very good at spending other people's money!

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did goodman play again for us .after that?

supernova

Remember this game well. I also remember losing at home to Kidderminster 5-2 very well too

Boyo

Remember this game well. I also remember losing at home to Kidderminster 5-2 very well too
Didn't we play Kiddy away immediately after the Hull game? I think we went 2-0 up early and looked like scoring with every attack. I was so optimistic, especially having battered Hull and Scunny (despite only drawing with the latter).

We lost 4-3 and the rest is history.

malcolms

We later learned that the last thing on their mind was football or the football team. They only appointed McNab because he was available. His previous record was irrellevant when all they were interested in was getting as much money as they could out of the club. They had absolutely zero interest in football; they just wanted to drain the clubs money out of the club for personal gain. Isnt it reassuring that the club is now being run properly, and that type of thing could never happen again?
Sadly, these things get mixed up in a very one eyed view of what went on. I wasn't on the board at this time but I did have an insight.... I'm not convinced that football was secondary, in fact, a successful team would have given them a springboard to make a lot more money, so the logic dictates that success on the football side was of interest. Neil McNab was a decent youth team coach at Man City and at Portsmouth. Stuart Dawe through Alan Ball was the main promoter of McNab and as soon as he took over it was clear that his ability to deal with senior players, who had become "undisciplined" under John Cornforth, was, to say the least, limited. It has been said more than once, that had Gary Peters been brought in at that time, we would have comfortably avoided relegation and perhaps the world would have been different... Maybe worse, maybe better, but certainly different

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't we play Kiddy away immediately after the Hull game? I think we went 2-0 up early and looked like scoring with every attack. I was so optimistic, especially having battered Hull and Scunny (despite only drawing with the latter).

We did indeed. See post #19!

Oldsmobile-88

Yes...That was the following Saturday & a week after that Torquay turned us over at SJP...The high point of the season was the Hull game (3 games in & 11th in the table after the win)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

That isnt the game I was thinking about. I seem to recall a 5-2 home defeat in which they had some Danish long haired type (wanna say Bo Henrickson but cant be bothered to look it up) who reacted to the usual "gyppo" chants by ruining us and scoring 3 or 4. Maybe that was a different season or I dreamt it.

Also recall a Peter Beagrie inspired Scunny killing us 4-0 around the same time but all the seasons back then roll into one for my memory.