• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

OmanGrecian

DevonLive reporting that we regained top spot 🙄

1burnm

It doesn't actually look as good there as it did in real time from The Bank.
I just said the same thing to someone. I was right behind the goal and it looked like he'd arrived from nowhere when the goal was a total formality. From that angle it looks like he's just bundled the ball to safety. Oh well.

dontpassback

Talking to a couple of FGR fans on way back to the car,one said he was out of his seat celebrating,the other one said it was quite simply one of the best saves he had ever seen !

exeter-loyal

Talking to a couple of FGR fans on way back to the car,one said he was out of his seat celebrating,the other one said it was quite simply one of the best saves he had ever seen !
It was one of the best saves I've seen down here in a long time, simply quality. Loved how when the whistle went most of the players went straight over to Maxed. Much deserved!!!!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was one of the best saves I've seen down here in a long time, simply quality. Loved how when the whistle went most of the players went straight over to Maxed. Much deserved!!!!
Looked much better live as you were just waiting for the ball to hit the net. Jonny just threw himself and made himself big. Great save. Otherwise I thought it was a very entertaining game although the ref tried his best to be irritating, it gave a bit of pantomime to the afternoon.

We came out of the blocks similar to against MK last season and got the goal we deserved. Great play and cross by Sparkes (ball was in at all points) and great finish by Bowman. Should have had more with Nicky missing gilt edged chances, he didn't back his pace for the second one but the keeper was there to be chipped.

FGR are a good passing team but do not threaten much. I thought we defended well and kept them in front of us, pressing when necessary in the second half apart from the one glaring chance that Jonny dealt with and Aaron Martin's great block in the first.

I think we are starting to see the running side Matt wants although we do need to up our conversion rate when we are on top. Bench also looks strong with a number of players trying to break in. Nigel added physicality when he came on and Fisher played his part in running the clock down.

Altogether enjoyable afternoon.

1burnm

Looked much better live as you were just waiting for the ball to hit the net. Jonny just threw himself and made himself big. Great save. Otherwise I thought it was a very entertaining game although the ref tried his best to be irritating, it gave a bit of pantomime to the afternoon.

We came out of the blocks similar to against MK last season and got the goal we deserved. Great play and cross by Sparkes (ball was in at all points) and great finish by Bowman. Should have had more with Nicky missing gilt edged chances, he didn't back his pace for the second one but the keeper was there to be chipped.

FGR are a good passing team but do not threaten much. I thought we defended well and kept them in front of us, pressing when necessary in the second half apart from the one glaring chance that Jonny dealt with and Aaron Martin's great block in the first.

I think we are starting to see the running side Matt wants although we do need to up our conversion rate when we are on top. Bench also looks strong with a number of players trying to break in. Nigel added physicality when he came on and Fisher played his part in running the clock down.

Altogether enjoyable afternoon.
Maxted made another smart save about 10-15 mins into the second half from a shot across goal that could very easily have been their equaliser.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Second successive missed home game for me.☹. Serious family re-education needed re Saturdays! Great reading all of the reports and comments. God bless exeweb, wtf would we do without it? Geddon city, brilliant to win over a top three rival. I have to hold my hand up and say I was concerned when Ward was out injured but it's blatantly obvious I needn't have been. Good that Bowman notched, hope that will lead to a lot more. Was surprised thst Matty Jay wasn't playing after Tuesday and also from MT's comments about the lad. He must be wondering just what he has to do to get a start yet alone a run. Hope MT does plenty of ruffled feather smoothing and ego massaging. On we go.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Sky Sports highlights

1burnm

Second successive missed home game for me.☹. Serious family re-education needed re Saturdays! Great reading all of the reports and comments. God bless exeweb, wtf would we do without it? Geddon city, brilliant to win over a top three rival. I have to hold my hand up and say I was concerned when Ward was out injured but it's blatantly obvious I needn't have been. Good that Bowman notched, hope that will lead to a lot more. Was surprised thst Matty Jay wasn't playing after Tuesday and also from MT's comments about the lad. He must be wondering just what he has to do to get a start yet alone a run. Hope MT does plenty of ruffled feather smoothing and ego massaging. On we go.
Bowman was really good today not just with the goal but won a lot more in the air, some dangerous lay offs when he was holding the ball up, a real menace. My man of the match.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems to be quite a few negative comments despite a win and a clean sheet against a team who were top of the league and played us off the park last season IIRC.

The constant call to put teams to the sword is in my opinion unrealistic, you can't constantly score 3 or 4 goals in a game, clean sheets will win us football matches and we got one today. Even if we scored 10 today that wouldn't mean we would automatically go and win our next game.

Really good result and the response after our home defeat to Grimsby has been brilliant and hopefully a sign that we will certainly be there or there abouts at the end of the season.