• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
i have always argued against playing Tilson and Taylor together since in my mind it detracts from our creative attacking ability. Remember a couple of posters stubbornly insisting that it gives our team "balance". That is a load of bs, quite honestly. Also, Jake comes across as a good bloke, but is he comfortable in the role as captain? I know some people will say that being captain is no big deal, but it is a responsibility and might be affecting his game. According to most reports he's not being playing well in recent times and there must be a reason.

ChardGrecian

Yesterday was very disappointing but we were beaten by better team on the day but we also allowed them to take the game. Learning time for Matt and the team perhaps.
Felt the whole midfield did not play as a unit again (has been lacking in last couple of games Grimsby and Crawley were as poor) and needs sorting quickly. Lee Martin was very poor yet again and not seen anything in him that helps us , his running out of position when we attacked leaving big holes down right that meant others had to also get out of place, he waits for ball to come to him rather than going to get it and defenders intercept or tackle him quickly, then when he loses the ball ambles back to where he should be. Taylor and Tilson does not work if Taylor does not get forward and let Tilson do the dirty defensive midfield job. For me yesterday one substitution Woody for Lee Martin, move Moxey forward, Law inside and a Taylor to the right would have created a much better balance. Taylor on the right would have allowed Sweeney to get forward too and his crosses into the box feeds Stockley.
If Boateng is out for long time then midfield needs surgery to stop the potential bad patch. Hope Holmes is fit for next Saturday. Still third but not for long I feel if we don’t step over from yesterday. Always seems to happen with us big crowd poor performance.

Stelios

he waits for ball to come to him rather than going to get it and defenders intercept or tackle him quickly, then when he loses the ball ambles back to where he should be
Yes. There was no urgency in anything he did. Unfair to just single him out because we were so poor all over. When the defence weren't hoofing it the amount of lazy, obvious passing to players being marked didn't help either. If A Martin and Croll hadn't made so many great tackles and blocks we could have been properly thrashed.

I've always thought Jay had ability and it is so hard to come on when a side is playing terribly and get going. But he just made poor decisions. He didn't seem to know what to do and where to go and when he got the ball would often just knock it backwards. He has to open things up, create things otherwise I don't see what he can offer. What is his position/role?

I've complained that a 4-4-2 with Boateng, Law, Taylor and [insert random wide player here] just hasn't felt right and looks unbalanced. Well, a 4-4-2 without Boateng and no left sided player was bleddy horrific and MT has some serious thinking to do.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm still far from convinced by Croll, he clearly has some good attributes however he makes far too many mistakes, I feel he is going to cost us too many goals, he cost us at Yeovil and he dived in with a very rash challenge on the half way line yesterday leading up to their second goal.

He does a lot of decent things however you don't want to have a defender in your side who is going to cost you a goal every three or four games.

At league two level I'd rather have a rock solid centre back than a player who has a few nice skills and the odd drag back in him.

If he can improve his decision making and reduce the frequency of his mistakes my opinion could change.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Am I right in thinking that city’s three league defeats have all come either after or at the end of at least two lengthy away trips? And that we play a running style without rotating the first choice 12/13 players?

Last edited:

elginCity

James Hamon forgetting to bring his cap on a day with a low sun in his eyes set the tone. City just wasn't at the races.

Antony Moxey

Not getting all the comments about Croll diving in near the half way line. Yes he did and missed the challenge but so what, he wasn’t the last defender by any means - there were a number of City players covering so plenty back there to help defend. It wasn’t as if FGR had eight or nine players rampaging forward at that time either.

The ‘fault’ isn’t Croll’s, it’s the whole team’s. The two holding midfielders didn’t stop anything, neither did the three remaining defenders or goalkeeper - that’s six City players back behind Croll, yet somehow it’s his fault for missing a challenge near the half way line. At least he appeared to be someone prepared to make a challenge rather than backing off and backing off and backing off until they were in a good position to get a shot in.

grecIAN Harris

Just seen the goals, stand the forward up instead of backing off and backing off allowing him time to decide what he wants to do. Law was close enough to make a challenge every time the Vegan Villager touched the ball but instead he stood off and gave him a bit more room and Moxey just didn't get within touching distance at any point. As for ours, that's what you get when you think you're going to try and be clever and kill time. Use your hands lad, that's why goalkeepers can use them.

Xavi

Not getting all the comments about Croll diving in near the half way line. Yes he did and missed the challenge but so what, he wasn’t the last defender by any means - there were a number of City players covering so plenty back there to help defend. It wasn’t as if FGR had eight or nine players rampaging forward at that time either.

The ‘fault’ isn’t Croll’s, it’s the whole team’s. The two holding midfielders didn’t stop anything, neither did the three remaining defenders or goalkeeper - that’s six City players back behind Croll, yet somehow it’s his fault for missing a challenge near the half way line. At least he appeared to be someone prepared to make a challenge rather than backing off and backing off and backing off until they were in a good position to get a shot in.
I’m sure most will agree there were other defenders and it could have been dealt with but there was no need for a centre half to go to ground in that area of the pitch. The best defenders stay on their feet whenever possible. Crock is young and he will learn. As for mentioning the goalkeeper, that really is ridiculous, it was a perfect finish. I was right behind the shot in NOG.

Xavi

I’m sure most will agree there were other defenders and it could have been dealt with but there was no need for a centre half to go to ground in that area of the pitch. The best defenders stay on their feet whenever possible. Croll is young and he will learn. As for mentioning the goalkeeper, that really is ridiculous, it was a perfect finish. I was right behind the shot in NOG.