• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

scottus86

Whatever the repercussions of today no way should it mean that Woodman and Moxey play down the left again.
I wouldn't mind it if it's just to get through the spell of injuries. I'd prefer Moxey on the left and a midfield of Taylor and Law rather than Law on the left and a midfield of Tillson and Taylor.

denzil

God that was awful this afternoon !

Xavi

I disagree with you on L.Martin, usually his off the ball movement is the only thing going for him, but today even that was poor and he didn't have any affect on the game. When he is on the ball he gets his feet tangled up and the opposition usually come out on top.

Jay on the other hand was on the pitch for about 20 minutes, was one of the only players on the pitch looking to recieve the ball, whether attacking or at the back and made himself space in a congested area to get a venomus strike away that only just went over the bar. He offered way more in 20 minutes than Martin did for the whole 90
Not sure what game you watched. Jay may have had one shot, but offered nothing else at all. Some of Jay’s runs were so annoying, going inside when he should have kept the width. You could see the frustration on the other player’s faces. When he tried to come deeper he fell over the ball or passed (safely) backwards when it was crying out to play in midfield (Law and Taylor made themselves available unlike the displayed Tilson).

Not saying Lee Martin had a good game (nobody did) but at least he knows how and where to run off the ball, something overlooked by too many British followers of football.

scottus86

Not sure what game you watched. Jay may have had one shot, but offered nothing else at all. Some of Jay’s runs were so annoying, going inside when he should have kept the width. You could see the frustration on the other player’s faces. When he tried to come deeper he fell over the ball or passed (safely) backwards when it was crying out to play in midfield (Law and Taylor made themselves available unlike the displayed Tilson).

Not saying Lee Martin had a good game (nobody did) but at least he knows how and where to run off the ball, something overlooked by too many British followers of football.
When you play a striker on the wing, he is alwayd going to run inside. He did stick to the line and made a good run forward but was ignored by Law who tried to play a difficult crossfield ball to Sweeney instead of a simple pass infront of Jay. I'm not saying Jay is our saviour, but given game time I thubk his ability would start to show. He is too small for a striker though, so he should be taught how to play out wide.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Doesn't have the legs to play wide. Wherever he plays he'll always fall short of being good enough.

dontpassback

Lee Martin might have made a few runs,but that was all he did,matt jay certainly isn’t the best city player,but he added a bit more pace and effort,something that was lacking from the others who need to take a good look at their efforts,or lack of them !

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that was pathetic. Aimless hoof ball again.

Stelios

Shocking from start to finish. Hoof. Good crowd but mostly silent. Hoof. The Stagecoach made more noise than the BB at times. Hoof. A Martin & Croll defended well, Stockley won loads of headers. Hoof. But what is the point if no one gets on the end of any of them? Hoof. Sweeney started well but drifted away in 2nd half. Hoof.

Boateng a huge loss.

No width. No passing. No tackling. Need I say more? Forte and Stockley looked like they'd never met each other before.

Law on the left side was a disaster. He didn't want to be there (although he had our only decent chance of the game when set up by Stockley). L Martin was poor. I've wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but how can someone who struts about looking the part fall to pieces when he has football at his feet? Zero conviction in anything he did. If he found space he just ran into trouble and got tackled. I was convinced there was a player in there somewhere but is there?

Matt Jay is sadly looking like a non league player the more I see him.

Where was the tackling/pressing? FGR had a players available all game. They passed it so much better than us. Our game plan was playing it back to A Martin for him to hoof up the middle. Amazingly he ended scoring from one of these!

Can we please just LOOK UP and see who is available?

If there has been sickness etc I can forgive them. It's no fun. Bad day at the office. But we did not look like a top 3 side today. Nothing like. We weren't bullied. We were beaten by a better side who passed it well and never looked in any danger.

Last edited:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shocking from start to finish. Hoof. Good crowd but mostly silent. Hoof. The Stagecoach made more noise than the BB at times. Hoof. A Martin & Croll defended well, Stockley won loads of headers. Hoof. But what is the point if no one gets on the end of any of them? Hoof. Sweeney started well but drifted away in 2nd half. Hoof.

Boateng a huge loss.

No width. No passing. No tackling. Need I say more? Forte and Stockley looked like they'd never met each other before.

Law on the left side was a disaster. He didn't want to be there (although he had our only decent chance of the game when set up by Stockley). L Martin was poor. I've wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but how can someone who struts about looking the part fall to pieces when he has football at his feet? Zero conviction in anything he did. If he found space he just ran into trouble and got tackled. I was convinced there was a player in there somewhere but is there?

Matt Jay is sadly looking like a non league player the more I see him.

Where was the tackling/pressing? FGR had a players available all game. They passed it so much better than us. Our game plan was playing it back to A Martin for him to hoof up the middle. Amazingly he ended scoring from one of these!

Can we please just LOOK UP and see who is available?

If there has been sickness etc I can forgive them. It's no fun. Bad day at the office. But we did not look like a top 3 side today. Nothing like. We weren't bullied. We were beaten by a better side who passed it well and never looked in any danger.
Forte and Stockley don't play as a pair. Time to start Abrahams.

Saint James

As others have said we cant play 4-4-2 if the 2 in the centre are Tilson and Taylor. We either revert back to the success we had with 451 and Forte comes off the bench or Law has to be played in the middle. However today we gave ourselves little or no hope when we have the best player in the league at heading crosses and failed in 90 minutes to give him a chance to show it. Moxey and a poor (again) Sweeney rarely crossed the half way line when the game screamed out for width. The chance was there for Lee Martin to show his quality having started two consecutive games for the 1st time but frankly I cant see it