• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Doncaster Rovers ('Appy as Larry) Matchday Thread

VOR

It is absolutely crazy to put up the pathetic excuse that we are 6 points behind 6th place. This team is a shambles and yesterday's defeat was inevitable. Even when we were in front everyone knew that Doncaster would score and just a case of how many.

I do feel sorry that we are so decimated at the back with injuries, but our midfield is so lightweight that we cannot compete in as tough a division as league 2 is. Playing Jake Taylor there is an admission of failure by Tisdale. No depth and just poor recruitment and squad building.

Ex-ciderrr

Just pointed out we are only 6pts off 6th, and imagine if we had won 2/3 more than we have already. Wouldnt say what I said was a pathetic excuse either, I'm not making excuses was just pointing the above out.

Impossible to predict how the table will finish from 5th downwards none of the sides are great all, all just about average could even include Doncaster in that on yesterday's showing. There's normally a team that falls away from the top end too, and of course 1/2 sides that come from no where and gate crash the top 7.

Last edited:

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just pointed out we are only 6pts off 6th, and imagine if we had won 2/3 more than we have already. Wouldnt say what I said was a pathetic excuse either, I'm not making excuses was just pointing the above out.

Impossible to predict how the table will finish from 5th downwards none of the sides are great all, all just about average could even include Doncaster in that on yesterday's showing. There's normally a team that falls away from the top end too, and of course 1/2 sides that come from no where and gate crash the top 7.
Yes, but 11pts off of 5th and a long, long way behind the top 3 already. Sorry, but there are teams who are 5 or 6 points ahead of us who have the form to widen the gap between 6th and 23rd, it won't be us

philb

Just seen Tis on Football on 5.....am I still asleep .SERIOUSLY IS THIS GUY FOR REAL??

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
It's not a case of winning the next two though as it's inconceivable that no one between 23rd and 6th wouldn't get any points. To get into the top seven from here we would probably need to win four or five on the bounce. To manage that we need to win the next two at home, and that's where the fantasy begins to unravel.

Antony Moxey

Funnily enough that was the first game I've seen this season where I genuinely thought we were unlucky to lose, however given it was our tenth home defeat this season it just doesn't cut it any more, we've long since run out of excuses, even if they're valid ones.

As it was, it was a shame we couldn't capitalise on taking the lead. A very ordinary Doncaster were clearly rattled and I genuinely thought if we could have made the most of our dominance we'd have gone on to win the game. But, as ever, we capitulated as usual and one very quickly became three and that was that.

Couple of points though: Lloyd James is an appalling footballer (which apparently at least one club official agrees with, given the voracity with which he let James know part way through the game). He can't tackle, he can't pass, he can't run, he can't shoot. What he's doing on the pitch let alone wearing the captain's armband is a complete mystery as he can't do that very well either.

Reuben Reid couldn't jump off the ground if the grass was on fire so it's no point playing high balls up to him. He's at his best with his back to goal taking balls at his feet and playing others in, like he did with Watkins with a lovely ball round the corner that the keeper did well to read and win the foot race to the edge of his box.

Wheeler is the best header of a ball in the opposition half at the club so why he was taken off for that donkey Simpson who missed two reasonably comfortable chances is a complete mystery. And a mystery to all except our esteemed leader given the level of boos when the substitution was announced. Also, speaking of substitutions, we're chasing the game so let's bring on the relatively untried Jay and leave McAlinden and Grant on the bench instead. Genius.

Speaking of genius: Oakley. In what parallel universe is he ever considered a suitable starter these days. Too casual, too lackadaisical, he lets the game waft by seemingly without a care in the world. I know we have four crocked centre halfs at the moment (although given Brown was on the bench if he's fit enough for the bench he should be fit enough to start), but I'd rather we just said thanks but no thanks, here's your bus ticket home, come and say hello next time we have a game up near you.

And I know this'll be the most obvious case of horses, bolts and stable doors but it really must be the time that Tisdale is told to shape up or ship out with a definitive target or he's gone. Something like if we reach ten home league defeats or if we're not above a certain position or points total by a certain date but something quantifiable such that if he doesn't achieve that target it's not too late to stave off relegation. We can't keep simply bimbling along from one crap result to the next saying a win's just around the corner, the ref cost us, we've got injuries, luck's against us, we played well but, the excuses are just that: excuses and we're long since fed up with them.

So to the players: grow a spine, get stuck in and start playing football and stop taking the **** out of us.
The manager: grow a spine, stop with the excuses and stop taking the **** out of us.
The board: grow a spine, give the manager the serious kick up the arse he deserves and stop taking the **** out of us.
The Trust board: grow a spine, stop the handwringing over procedure and being a Trust-run club and hold the club board to account and stop taking the **** out of us.

Well said, Ant

malcolms

Mox, as you said "the horse has long since bolted"

Antony Moxey

Yeah I know Malcs, but all the same SOMETHING has to be done, we can't just keep stumbling along until the inevitable relegation is mathematic.

rp42