• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Chester City Matchday Thread

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Well today was my 2nd visit to St James Park, and now you've beaten Chester I feel I should definitely upgrade myself from 'neutral' to 'semi-supporter' status!

Was very impressed with how you played today, some of the passing was a joy to behold and really you should have turned all the possession you had in to a few more goals. It was a pleasure to watch a League 2 team pass the ball on the deck, which was in stark contrast to your visitors' approach, and sadly Wrexham's last season too.

I was again impressed by Stansfield, but probably more so with Moxey and Stewart. Your keeper Jones doesn't always fill me with confidence, although his save from Ellison's free kick just before the break was absolutely top drawer. If he could become more consistent with his kicking I'm sure he'll grow into a decent keeper. Out of interest, do you think there's much difference between Jones and Marriott? Marriott was something of a hero to me when I was younger and at his peak with us one of the best keepers outside the Prem.

Anyway, congrats on the win and hopefully I can continue to bring you some luck in the future!
You've seen in two games what I've seen all along mate, almost to the letter. Last year there was no contest in my mind, Marriott was way superior to Jones if only for the kicking, but this year Jones is improving at a good rate. The answer to the keeper question wont be answered for some time. Glad you're a Stanno fan, there aren't many of us left, and also in the light of the Stewart debate it was interesting that as a neutral you rated him. Can I ask what impressed you with Stewart, to help the discussion as it were?

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought he played quite well all things considering.
Josh, mate - this is my point exactly - "quite well" & "all things considering" - it's hardly a ringing endorsement for a guy who should, all things considered, be our star player, week in, week out (just like he was for Yeovil, a League above us, last season).

He has been asked to do a job for the team, He doesn't chose the tactics! The same thing happens with Logan too, they are so far apart from Stanno that they are not working effectively as a partnership, Of this we are agreed? I would suggest this is down to bad tactics rather than individual performances.
Again - this is the point I'm trying to make to Moxey - both Logie & Stewie are working too far away from Stanno to allow our front line to be as dangerous & effective at home as it could be.

I suppose the question that's niggling away at me at the moment is whether Tis has built a system (in part) to fit Stewart. Away from home, it is working very well. At home, & especially without Harley, I'm not convinced it's bringing the best out of our attacking players (either because the system ain't working, or because Stewie no longer has the pace to make it work).

Given Stewart's pedigree, & given the fact that, as recently as last season, he was far & away Yeovil's best player, in the League above us - I feel we need to be asking whether we're really getting enough from him as we could, or should, be expecting.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keep making your arguments Jambo as they are sensible. Stewart is IMO playing excellently as a wing-support type player, but I feel there are goals in him and the system lets him down at home, I'd like Jack-O to settle maybe, or when Harley comes back allow Stewart to play further up the field. We've seen the damage both he (and Logan) can do, but I agree that all too often they are too far away from Stanno

Draig Wrecsam

You've seen in two games what I've seen all along mate, almost to the letter. Last year there was no contest in my mind, Marriott was way superior to Jones if only for the kicking, but this year Jones is improving at a good rate. The answer to the keeper question wont be answered for some time. Glad you're a Stanno fan, there aren't many of us left, and also in the light of the Stewart debate it was interesting that as a neutral you rated him. Can I ask what impressed you with Stewart, to help the discussion as it were?
I think Stewart's all round game at this level is top class. He may not be as prolific in front of goal as he once was, but there's much more to his game and to me he seems a very clever player. He gets into good positions, got good touch and can pick out a decent pass, he certainly seems to make things happen for you.

You certainly did your homework on Chester, they are particularly weak down the flanks. The amount of success you got from knocking the ball down the left flank past the hapless Chairman's son, Vaughan was staggering.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would say the keeper split is about 60:40 in Jones' favour but on here Jones' is treated like some kind of future England international.
I assume you were meant to say 'by International'?

I think you will find that I am one of the first to criticisw when Jonah could have done better, hence me saying his part in the 3rd goal on Tuesday was not great and could have done better. If you ask Jonah he will tell you I am also honest in my criticism to his face, and strangely enough he doesn't often disagree with me.

There are very very few on here that have ever have, or ever will play in goal and understand what it takes to play in goal. At the end of the day it is not a position that most will chose to play in, and thus their lack of understanding of what it takes.

Sir Jenkins has been a long time critic of Jonah, but is quick to realise that the lad is improving at a consistent rate. I think he has cemented his position the No.1 position so far this season, but then I don't think he is resting on his laurels.

Is it a coincidence that he is getting recognition from professionals within the game and the press?

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Stewart's all round game at this level is top class. He may not be as prolific in front of goal as he once was, but there's much more to his game and to me he seems a very clever player. He gets into good positions, got good touch and can pick out a decent pass, he certainly seems to make things happen for you.

You certainly did your homework on Chester, they are particularly weak down the flanks. The amount of success you got from knocking the ball down the left flank past the hapless Chairman's son, Vaughan was staggering.
That's pretty much the conclusion I've drawn. The role of Stewart and Logan is one of the reasons we do so well away from home when we build from deep. The basis for the discussion at the moment seems to be whether Marcus can be positioned in a more dangerous area of the field at home against 'weaker' opposition especially to try and provide more of a goal threat. The problem with this though could be the problems caused by asking players to provide different roles game by game

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The amount of success you got from knocking the ball down the left flank past the hapless Chairman's son, Vaughan was staggering.
Spot on, mate - as I said to Gozzer after 5 minutes, the lad was, indeed, "staggering" :)

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sir Jenkins has been a long time critic of Jonah, but is quick to realise that the lad is improving at a consistent rate.
Almost Matt, I've been a long-term critic of his kicking (and I'm far from the only one, not just on exeweb, and some are even more prepared to vocalise this at games where I dont) and I've also said I preferred Mariott for his experience, and the number of passbacks we insist on doing each game - going back to kicking. However, Jonesy can get to ground quicker, comes for crosses better and his kicking is getting a bit better now as well. I've always said I'm not overly fussed when its put into the stands as we are unlikely to concede from a throw-in set-piece.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always said I'm not overly fussed when its put into the stands as we are unlikely to concede from a throw-in set-piece.
Unless you are playing Stoke. The lad was put under a considerable amount of pressure by the back four on Tuesday, and they were confident that he would bail them out of the deep end. At times kicking left footed

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is it a coincidence that he is getting recognition from professionals within the game and the press?
I dont know about that, but apart from the blinding save Jonah evidently made today, he was mentioned more than once during the commentary for the wrong reasons! "Spilling the ball" , "palming it away" and so on....

What was that about?