• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic Matchday thread.

JGrecian23

You don't have to win a tackle to regain possession (I'm not saying we shouldn't be better and stronger in that aspect, we should). There is more than one way to skin a cat.....
Ball is there to be won, 2 players coming in, ours pull out and the opposition go off with the ball.

I want our players to crunch the opposition and take the ball away. That's how I want my cat skinned!

Doesn't need to be overcomplicated!

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
You don't have to win a tackle to regain possession (I'm not saying we shouldn't be better and stronger in that aspect, we should). There is more than one way to skin a cat.....
Yes, which is why Rosie's stats are as they are. But today it seemed as if Charlton tackled more effectively than we did

grecIAN Harris

Yes, which is why Rosie's stats are as they are. But today it seemed as if Charlton tackled more effectively than we did
As I said, I'm not saying our ability in the tackle shouldn't be better, it should. I'm afraid it's part of the modern trend with ball players, they seem to think they can drag back or dink their way out of a tackle rather than go through a proper tackle properly.

AndyR

Having thought that GC got our substitutions spot on against Burton, I thought our subs today seriously disrupted our rhythm although I don't blame Cheick at all for the OG.

I haven't watched the post-match interviews yet but can only assume that Purrington had to go off because in addition to scoring he is an excellent left sided defender and after he went off there was a glaring hole on that side. Putting Rankine there was a disaster. You could see Aimson and Sweeney having a go at him but to be fair, DR is a right sided attacker who would have been better on the other side or even up front where his pace can hurt the opposition. If Ben had to go off, I'd have preferred Niskanen to switch sides.

IMO Cole came on far too late and whilst they could not be blamed for the long punts upfield miles ahead of them, Alli and Eisa didn't show anything other than why they don't start.......

All in all though IMO a fair result because whilst we probably should have wrapped the game up with a second goal, we had two fairly miraculous escapes with the goal-line (hopefully!) clearance and May's miss at the end. Sinisalo, Sweeney, Aimson, Purrington, Niskanen and Woods all excellent, quite a few of the rest off-colour. I think we still need another 2 or 3 points.

AndyR

I should have added Wildschutt to the excellent list, in fact his departure further weakened the left hand side.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think we are safe but also pleased not to be in the position where we would have needed to beat both Cheltenham and Port Vale in the coming games to save ourselves.

What do others think.

arthur

Having thought that GC got our substitutions spot on against Burton, I thought our subs today seriously disrupted our rhythm although I don't blame Cheick at all for the OG.

I haven't watched the post-match interviews yet but can only assume that Purrington had to go off because in addition to scoring he is an excellent left sided defender and after he went off there was a glaring hole on that side. Putting Rankine there was a disaster. You could see Aimson and Sweeney having a go at him but to be fair, DR is a right sided attacker who would have been better on the other side or even up front where his pace can hurt the opposition. If Ben had to go off, I'd have preferred Niskanen to switch sides.

IMO Cole came on far too late and whilst they could not be blamed for the long punts upfield miles ahead of them, Alli and Eisa didn't show anything other than why they don't start.......

All in all though IMO a fair result because whilst we probably should have wrapped the game up with a second goal, we had two fairly miraculous escapes with the goal-line (hopefully!) clearance and May's miss at the end. Sinisalo, Sweeney, Aimson, Purrington, Niskanen and Woods all excellent, quite a few of the rest off-colour. I think we still need another 2 or 3 points.
Purrington was replaced by Aimson who was replaced by Diabate. Rankine replaced Wildschut who did not do any defending the entire time he was on the pitch

Last edited:

arthur

Duplicate

Bridgy 81

I should have added Wildschutt to the excellent list, in fact his departure further weakened the left hand side.
I thought he had a great game.
But his substitution didn’t surprise me as he seems to have a problem with lasting 90 minutes?

elginCity

After conceding so early the opposition naturally up their game, and the instinct to protect the lead results in lying a bit deeper.

Once the initial storm is weathered, seems we’re hesitant to risk shifting gear again, largely preferring to continue playing it safe. Mindset not tactical I’d suggest. Maybe.