• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Carlisle Utd Matchday Thread (Playoff 2nd Leg).

orangeshark

It is great to be a City fan - and even more so tonight! What a result and well-deserved win. I also echo the comments about Carlisle, they have been superb opponents. It was great to see Tisdale's euphoria at the end. I was too slow to get tickets to the Park but it's also a novelty to watch City on the telly. See you lot at Wembley!

flakey pasty

Tisdales celebration at the end will be the moment from the match that I will remember the most from tonight.Way back in November I couldn't see any alternative but a change in manager.Many of us were wrong about that.Thank **** the board stuck by him.He deserves everything he has achieved tonight.
Amen to that, east_mid. This guy has been fantastic for us.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grant Should have laid it off to ollie
Exactly very very selfish it was a two on one and had he released the ball Ollie would have been completely clear and odds on to score

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exactly very very selfish it was a two on one and had he released the ball Ollie would have been completely clear and odds on to score
Nah. Grant beat one player too many. If he'd shot when he beat the first player he would have scored.

denzel

Brilliant night, so glad I was there as I missed the Oxford and Torquay semis back along.

What a moment when Stacey scored. That will live in my memory a long time.

rp42

Just to get you in the mood.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
What a fantastic night. Thought we defended very well and things were mostly going to plan. Then what a rollercoaster, Watkins and grant so close to extending the lead before Ollie did in brilliant fashion. Carlisle wouldn't lie down though and we just couldn't survive that corner to start running the clock down, then heartbreak right on ninety minutes before Stacey turned it all upside down.

I will remember the celebrations for ever. Congratulations to the players, manager, staff and fans. That is the best win I have ever seen at the park. We are on our way. Now we must give Wembley our best shot, if we play like the last two games we can do it.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Amen to that, east_mid. This guy has been fantastic for us.
And amen to your amen ... (y)

STURTZ

What a rollercoaster ride!

Good attacking start and a goal, superb pass from Harley and great work by Wheels to set up Watkins. Then a long half of soaking up pressure from Carlisle. Serious possession by them and we just couldn't get hold of it, having said that our centre half pairing was excellent, Brown in particular was getting his head to everything. That back four has always been our best choice, great to see Stacey back and didn't he reward us in the end?!!!

Second half Carlisle had to come at us more and made their subs, but that also meant they became stretched at the back and we made chances, Grant was the right man to bring on as he proved a very tricky customer, Carlisle seemed reluctant to attempt tackles and he and Harley could keep the ball for as long as they liked seemingly. Ollie who worked tirelessly leading the line and his second goal surely wrapped things up and we were on our way to Wembley! What were we thinking? Carlisle proved to be as consistant as they always have in matches against us this season and pulled back two goals to go level with only injury time remaining.

Stacey's goal was a peach and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.

Up the City!

David Treharne

Random thoughts. Troy Brown was immense tonight, devastating in the air, and yes the headers didn't always go where they should have, but I thought he was pivotal. The whole back four looked pretty solid tonight (except when they fail to clear out of defence). Ollie Watkins must have covered miles- be good to see his tracking statistics. Big Bank were impressive throughout the game. What a strike by Jack Stacey, no real surprise but a terrific finish. Joel Grant seems to have developed a dimension to his play that he certainly never showed in his previous incarnations (but it's all about the final pass Joel!) Not really much else to say until tomorrow when the euphoria will give way to the hard headed fact that Blackpool will be a difficult side to play. Should also mention David Wheeler and Craig Woodman, but overall the kind of evening that you remember for a long time.
Two final thoughts; the officials today were everything that those on Sunday weren't; secondly why do City always appear to want to grasp defeat out of the jaws of victory, Pulsating, but nerve wracking stuff.