• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United Official Matchday Thread

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly off topic for this thread, but it will be interesting to see the take up of the ‘early bird’ season ticket offer will be compared to recent years. I will be surprised if the said take up is anywhere close to those numbers, which will naturally have a knock on effect for the clubs finances.
If the board sack Gary and the new manager (Wayne Carlisle probably) gets us playing some football worth watching I think a lot of ST holders can be persuaded to renew.

If it carries on as it is I think it'll drop off a lot.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Had a night to think about the game yesterday and I have my thoughts . This is just an opinion .
We here in football that the manager has lost the dressing room, well after yesterday I feel the crowd has lost the dressing room.
I saw a new left back make a promising debut. Luke Harris have a terrific game in midfield. Vile pull off a good save to keep us in the game. Dion come on and make some good attacking runs and an opposition not bothered to much in attacking but what did I hear at the end a lot of booing by our fans. Take a look at yourselves. We all want this team to stay in league 1 at the moment all the booing is doing the job for the opposition.
We go to Bristol Rovers tuesday which will be a difficult place to go and I am expecting a defeat but I can see it now Exeter City fans will start singing there’s only one Matty Taylor and if we lose boo our players .
I have been supporting City since John Newman days and yes I have seen some rubbish (Gerry Francis ) but I can’t remember our fans being so constantly poor.
Really ask yourself a question would you want to play for Exeter City with that backing.
Booing of Pierce Sweeney was totally out of order yesterday.
Take a look at yourself City fans you are playing a blinder
Just my opinion
Yep, it’s all the fans’ fault. The players are out there pulling up trees eh? Theres nothing negative about the way we play, the goals are flying in from all angles and it’s like watching the 1970s Brazil team isn’t it? But no, despite all that, it’s all the fans’ fault. Over 6000 there yesterday and you’re moaning about the supporters. Nice one.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Had a night to think about the game yesterday and I have my thoughts . This is just an opinion .
We here in football that the manager has lost the dressing room, well after yesterday I feel the crowd has lost the dressing room.
I saw a new left back make a promising debut. Luke Harris have a terrific game in midfield. Vile pull off a good save to keep us in the game. Dion come on and make some good attacking runs and an opposition not bothered to much in attacking but what did I hear at the end a lot of booing by our fans. Take a look at yourselves. We all want this team to stay in league 1 at the moment all the booing is doing the job for the opposition.
We go to Bristol Rovers tuesday which will be a difficult place to go and I am expecting a defeat but I can see it now Exeter City fans will start singing there’s only one Matty Taylor and if we lose boo our players .
I have been supporting City since John Newman days and yes I have seen some rubbish (Gerry Francis ) but I can’t remember our fans being so constantly poor.
Really ask yourself a question would you want to play for Exeter City with that backing.
Just my opinion
I don’t understand how you can you blame the crowd - they are paying customers entitled to an opinion.

But i respect your opinion.

for us to be getting over 6k in the ground given the form is madness
really.

Also Sweeney wasn’t booed he was asked not to take another short corner given the previous 9 didn’t work.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

I'll get another season ticket next season as I don't think Caldwell will be here and football goes in cycles, we'll come good at some point. It's just right now it's terrible.

Big moment stepping away from local football, you'll be missed at Bow mate I'm sure.
thanks mate that’s kind of you.

like you say it’s cycles and after what probably not far short of 30 years perhaps it’s time i tried to annoy someone else 😀

i’ve not fallen out with the Sandford boys for a while mind so i may try and sneak in one more season time will tell 😀

grecIAN Harris

The short corner thing was a farce although I could understand the need to maybe mix it up and not be reliant on just knocking the ball in the box. We only had two real targets to aim for in Chiek and Judge Jules so you'd be continually knocking the ball in for virtually nothing but if we were going to go short find somebody at the top of the box quickly so we could at least get a shot in.
The game as a whole is yet another one where I leave the ground thinking if only we had........ Especially late on when Dion was getting down the line and in decent positions to get an early cross in but has to drive in a bit closer to goal because his only options are to either pull it back on to an attacking midfielder or drill it low across the near post and hope Sonny gambles. Cambridge were poor and with a striker we win but.........

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just my opinion
I think City fans have been more than patient and fair with Caldwell, it is blatant that a huge part of the issue is our tactical approach and I am not convinced one or two striker will see us score a glut of goals.

IF you look at our upcoming fixtures

Bristol A
Barnsley A
Bristol H
Peterborough H
Wigan A
Derby A
Lincoln H

I cannot see us getting above 4 points from those fixtures. I cannot see us staying up with GC In charge. Another unmitigated disaster on his CV, yet this time he and us are not being put out of our misery because our board refuse to see the blinding evidence smashing them in the face.

C j phill

I'll get another season ticket next season as I don't think Caldwell will be here and football goes in cycles, we'll come good at some point. It's just right now it's terrible.

Big moment stepping away from local football, you'll be missed at Bow mate I'm sure.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I think that whatever happens this season, the manager will still be in post at the start of next season. Whether we remain in league 1 or start off in league 2, I think he will be given another transfer window to start the new season. The issue for the Club Board will be where we are, come November/early December 2024. If we're struggling in league 1 or outside of the play-off zone for league 2, I'd expect the Club Board to act decisively at that point.

CREDYGRECIAN

The short corner thing was a farce although I could understand the need to maybe mix it up and not be reliant on just knocking the ball in the box. We only had two real targets to aim for in Chiek and Judge Jules so you'd be continually knocking the ball in for virtually nothing but if we were going to go short find somebody at the top of the box quickly so we could at least get a shot in.
The game as a whole is yet another one where I leave the ground thinking if only we had........ Especially late on when Dion was getting down the line and in decent positions to get an early cross in but has to drive in a bit closer to goal because his only options are to either pull it back on to an attacking midfielder or drill it low across the near post and hope Sonny gambles. Cambridge were poor and with a striker we win but.........
we won 4 corners in the opening 3 minutes that’s a positive start to a game….and yet we crossed only 1 of those….

After that we probably took another 6/7 corners short before the big bank finally dictated another one wasn’t being taken short 😀

that’s not mixing it up.

We had 11 corners yesterday…how many got crossed into the box? 3 maybe….

Caldwell said in his interview after the game that statistically short corners score you more goals……so on that basis i understand why he’s doing that but surely if your taking a short corner it’s to open up more space to shoot at the edge of the box rather than ending up being boxed in and then playing backwards because at one point it ended up back with our goalkeeper from a corner 😀

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

CREDYGRECIAN

I think City fans have been more than patient and fair with Caldwell, it is blatant that a huge part of the issue is our tactical approach and I am not convinced one or two striker will see us score a glut of goals.

IF you look at our upcoming fixtures

Bristol A
Barnsley A
Bristol H
Peterborough H
Wigan A
Derby A
Lincoln H

I cannot see us getting above 4 points from those fixtures. I cannot see us staying up with GC In charge. Another unmitigated disaster on his CV, yet this time he and us are not being put out of our misery because our board refuse to see the blinding evidence smashing them in the face.
those are scary fixtures ain’t they…..

oh well time will tell.