• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United Official Matchday Thread

tonykellowfan

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exeter v Port Vale 7/5/22 - Posession 61% 2 shots on target . We've got Super Mattie Taylor.

My point is that the game wasn't pretty, but to say that the team was devoid of attacking intent, had loads of possession but did absolutely nothing with it, that the side and tactics are so bad that the mere addition of a good quality striker won't make a blind bit of difference is lacking all perspective. However the corner routine was utterly ridiculous and has undoubtedly raised the rage level to boiling...
There was something unique about that game. Needing a point to be champions and we didn't look like getting it. Vale on the other hand knew that had to win to get into the playoffs and moved heaven and earth to get it
Still, I think they'd earned the right to one off day that season!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching those highlights is as painful as it was being at SJP yesterday. Cambridge were woeful in the same way that Wigan, Port Vale, Shrewsbury and a few more have been. The frustration is self evident that if we had a couple of forwards in our ranks we would probably be very comfortable mid table now and this forum wouldn't feel the way it does for us all. You can work all week on shape, tactics and the opposition but if you dont have anyone to put it in the onion bag it's all for nothing ..........................

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I’ve got to the stage where i’d rather see us lose say 3-2 and enjoy watching a open end to end type of game as at least i’d feel i have been entertained for the afternoon.

I can’t justify financially with 2 young kids paying £20 every time i go to not see us score a goal.

1 goal scored in 7 games watched means i’m not getting value for money in reality as a spectator, i wouldn’t go to the cinema 7 times and only expect to enjoy 1 film.

The way we play at home means in reality unless we score first in say the first 10-15 minutes it’s going to be very difficult to win the game.

The most annoying thing is we’re treating Cambridge , Wycombe , Port Vale , Shrewsbury and sides like that with way too much respect there not good sides and with a bit more willingness to take the game to them we could beat all of them.

Red red

Had a night to think about the game yesterday and I have my thoughts . This is just an opinion .
We here in football that the manager has lost the dressing room, well after yesterday I feel the crowd has lost the dressing room.
I saw a new left back make a promising debut. Luke Harris have a terrific game in midfield. Vile pull off a good save to keep us in the game. Dion come on and make some good attacking runs and an opposition not bothered to much in attacking but what did I hear at the end a lot of booing by our fans. Take a look at yourselves. We all want this team to stay in league 1 at the moment all the booing is doing the job for the opposition.
We go to Bristol Rovers tuesday which will be a difficult place to go and I am expecting a defeat but I can see it now Exeter City fans will start singing there’s only one Matty Taylor and if we lose boo our players .
I have been supporting City since John Newman days and yes I have seen some rubbish (Gerry Francis ) but I can’t remember our fans being so constantly poor.
Really ask yourself a question would you want to play for Exeter City with that backing.
Booing of Pierce Sweeney was totally out of order yesterday.
Take a look at yourself City fans you are playing a blinder
Just my opinion

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve got to the stage where i’d rather see us lose say 3-2 and enjoy watching a open end to end type of game as at least i’d feel i have been entertained for the afternoon.

I can’t justify financially with 2 young kids paying £20 every time i go to not see us score a goal.

1 goal scored in 7 games watched means i’m not getting value for money in reality as a spectator, i wouldn’t go to the cinema 7 times and only expect to enjoy 1 film.

The way we play at home means in reality unless we score first in say the first 10-15 minutes it’s going to be very difficult to win the game.

The most annoying thing is we’re treating Cambridge , Wycombe , Port Vale , Shrewsbury and sides like that with way too much respect there not good sides and with a bit more willingness to take the game to them we could beat all of them.
If I didn't have a season ticket I wouldn't bother a lot of the time. It's absolutely dreadful.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
If I didn't have a season ticket I wouldn't bother a lot of the time. It's absolutely dreadful.
The likelihood is after a long long time this will be my last season involved in local football as i’m going to start helping out at youth level Saturday mornings with my lad which will mean i could attend more games…

the thought of getting a season ticket did cross my mind…..but i think perhaps Crediton Rugby club Saturday sesh 🍺 could be the way forwards 😀

manc grecian

Had a night to think about the game yesterday and I have my thoughts . This is just an opinion .
We here in football that the manager has lost the dressing room, well after yesterday I feel the crowd has lost the dressing room.
I saw a new left back make a promising debut. Luke Harris have a terrific game in midfield. Vile pull off a good save to keep us in the game. Dion come on and make some good attacking runs and an opposition not bothered to much in attacking but what did I hear at the end a lot of booing by our fans. Take a look at yourselves. We all want this team to stay in league 1 at the moment all the booing is doing the job for the opposition.
We go to Bristol Rovers tuesday which will be a difficult place to go and I am expecting a defeat but I can see it now Exeter City fans will start singing there’s only one Matty Taylor and if we lose boo our players .
I have been supporting City since John Newman days and yes I have seen some rubbish (Gerry Francis ) but I can’t remember our fans being so constantly poor.
Really ask yourself a question would you want to play for Exeter City with that backing.
Booing of Pierce Sweeney was totally out of order yesterday.
Take a look at yourself City fans you are playing a blinder
Just my opinion
Absolute garbage. People weren't booing Sweeney they were booing the 300th short corner.

For most of the game the crowd sat there in silence such was the mind numbing style of play.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The likelihood is after a long long time this will be my last season involved in local football as i’m going to start helping out at youth level Saturday mornings with my lad which will mean i could attend more games…

the thought of getting a season ticket did cross my mind…..but i think perhaps Crediton Rugby club Saturday sesh 🍺 could be the way forwards 😀
I'll get another season ticket next season as I don't think Caldwell will be here and football goes in cycles, we'll come good at some point. It's just right now it's terrible.

Big moment stepping away from local football, you'll be missed at Bow mate I'm sure.

Slightly off topic for this thread, but it will be interesting to see the take up of the ‘early bird’ season ticket offer will be compared to recent years. I will be surprised if the said take up is anywhere close to those numbers, which will naturally have a knock on effect for the clubs finances.