• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United Official Matchday Thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm presuming the next game is "Massive"? 🤷‍♂️ (Or do we just copy and paste this till the end of the season) It sounded like a real borefest today and if it were as cold at SJP as it was here, To all those that attended i salute you.
Next game might be but no way will we get anything at Rovers. Then Barnsley away, deep joy!

Stelios

Move this thread to the Fecking Dire one please Mods ➡

hillview red

Sinisalo - Precious little to do. Handled well, distribution iffy.
Sweeney, Diabate, Jules - Solid but did we really need a back 3 against that opposition with the way they set up?
Niskanen - Solid and hardworking but struggles to make a significant impact
Purrington - Good home debut which he nearly capped off with a late winner.
Carroll - Constantly wants the ball, always looking to play a through ball but there was a remarkable lack of movement ahead of him.
Harris - Bright and hard working... Not sure of his best position yet.
Wildschut - An "I've got a new contract and don't need to perform" performance. Anonymous.
Aitchson - I'm just bored with him. I love the fact he works hard and keeps running but zero impact and zero end product.
Cox - Works hard but a near impossible task for a youngster.

Subs
Rankine - Dynamic but needs better delivery
Cole - Blew a big opportunity for a breakaway and had little time to impact the game
Scott - Ran on the pitch really quickly and also retrieved a ball quickly when their keeper was wasting time.

The game itself... Turgid, dull, insipid, boring... Take your pick.

The first half was the worst game I had ever seen. No idea what the game plan was apart from sideways and backwards. There was a telling moment at the end of the first half when Jules was on the ball looking for someone to pass to and NO player was moving into space... literally nobody. All the "time on the training ground" doesn't appear to be paying dividends.

Second half we were brighter but we are a tragically dull team and don't start me on the short corner nonsense.

I could write more but I might regret it so will stop there...

Mr Jinx

Scott - Ran on the pitch really quickly...
Anybody with two legs can do that.

hillview red

Anybody with two legs can do that.
I was being sarcastic... See my other recent home match reports for context

JGrecian23

First half worse I've seen in a long time if not at all. Second half a little better but still not acceptable.

Short corners are so frustrating. If you have good movement and clever players they can be good, we don't and are absolutely terrible at them. The crowd were booing them but for me that was aimed at Caldwell and his tactics rather than Harris for taking them short everytime. He's just doing what he's told.

Sonny worked hard but you can't miss sitters like his header. If we have a striker that goes in.

Cambridge were awful and had no intention of trying to score.

0-0 against that lot is confirmation we will go down. Even if the rest of the teams in the bottom half are dire.

Mr Jinx

I was being sarcastic...
It's lost on me a lot these days 🤷‍♂️

Antony Moxey

Well of the two teams we were the least worst by some margin, and, despite not having a clue how to go about it, the only team who had any intention of trying to win. I mean, just how bad must Cambridge be that we made them look awful? Anyways, the positives are it wasn’t nearly as cold as I thought it would be, and we kept a clean sheet. And Aitchison, Rankine and Harris.

The rest? Average at best, and that’s being kind. Also being kind is Caldwell in continuing to play Carroll, the bloke offers absolutely nothing to the team and spends the entire game poncing about looking for a five yard pass either sideways or backwards. Anyway, according to Radio Devon on the way home Caldwell has said he’s DEFINITELY getting in at least one maybe two strikers before the end of the window.

With sh1te like Cambridge managing to occupy the position in the table that they do, there may be hope for us yet…

Mid Devon Grecian

I think many of us would be fully supportive and the sooner it’s done the better.
Would give the stewards as well as the board something to think about.

could get GC along to help paint some of the letters 😂😂

hillview red

I think Aitchson has now played about 23 league games for us. His goals and assist tally is the same as his red card count according to Google...