• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City V Bury matchday thread

1st half we were bloody awful!! Glad Tis put a rocket up their arses at half time as they came out second half looking like they at least wanted to be there. Mac changed the game for me and IMO has earned his place so start. Jonesy had a great game and im so pleased as he has worked bloody hard and had more than his fair share of negativity. Harley MOM? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS. He may have a sublime first touch but OH MY GOD he faffs about way too much, when i heard Tis on the radio he sounded almost angry that maybe some people were bemused he got voted and said he was outstanding!!! Stanno should have stayed on. Logie def improved when Mac came on, although he didnt have a bad game anyway IMO. Why cant we go back to texting our MOM?? as Brian rightly said there have been very few games when myself and the fans around me have agreed on what the people who have "enjoyed" hospitality have voted. As for my MOM.....JONESY as Tis said he does get paid to do this BUT maybe Tis needs to point this out to the rest of the team that gave us such a poor spectacle for the 1st 45.
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS[ecfc]
I thought Harley had a reasonable game and I was surprised by the initial reaction to the Man of the Match announcement. However, I have to agree that Jones did very well. I thought the strength of the wind was factor in the respective performances each half, but overall I felt that a draw was a fair result against a good team.

BIG DADDY

still feel we need to get moxey playing further forward for us to be more effective down the left rather than try to accomadate all our best players by playing him left back and if it means a fight for the central 2 midfield places so be it

Old_Grandstanders

Macca and Logie is a good partnership up top but they have to have the service from the wings. Harley and Saunders arent the type of players to provide that service. Moxey has to start LM and then put Sercs out on the right wing, or better still, get a fast right winger in the transfer window.

grecoroman

I agree with much of what has been said but not convinced about the enthusiasm for a Logan/McAllister Partnership. Basically very similar players who need someone of Stansfield's pace to run the channels, If all we have to offer in support is Harley and Saunders then I think we will struggle even more. Thinking of Saunders - I know Tis rates him very highly (see yesterday's programme notes) - but he seemed peripheral for much of the action yesterday and too often the game seems to by-pass him. Our lack of width is a recurring problem and we only really seem to threaten when Tully or Moxey get forward. Given our two static, left footed centre backs this isn't very often. Unless we can change our game plan, or better still sign a player or two I kinda think we have reached as far as we are likely to go this season, ie just off the play-off places.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
still feel we need to get moxey playing further forward for us to be more effective down the left rather than try to accomadate all our best players by playing him left back and if it means a fight for the central 2 midfield places so be it
It'd be nice if Logan stayed further forward when he's picked to play up front too....

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've not had time to read this thread yet but here are my thoughts...

Paul Jones was absolutely outstanding. How he didn't get MOM beats me.

Rob Edwards looked shaky in parts again. Get well soon Matt Taylor! I thought Tully had a decent game, Moxey was quiet and Seaborne was poor to average at best.

Saunders and Harley were both average, Panther & Gill played well.

I thought Stanno had a good game, was surprised to see him go off and not Logan who again did very little to suggest he is the right option up front. Five minutes from the end, Harley was on the ball and the centre of Bury's defence was wide open. Logan was in a great position and if he'd run forward instead of hanging back (it looked like he was waiting for the ball to go wide left presumably so he could then get on the end of a cross?) then he'd have been clean through.

The wind obviously played a massive part but huge credit must also go to Bury who in the first half knocked the ball around brilliantly at times. Overall, they shaded the match and I'll take a point.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's because he works hard and nothing else. Give me a bone idle Sean Devine any day of the week and twice on Sundays. He scored goals.
Logan is no Sean Devine.

ralph

I am surprised at the amount of negativity. I really enjoyed the game today especially the second half. The wind was a huge factor in this game of two completely different halves and I think that would be reflected in the possession figures with Bury comfortably dominating the first half ( and should have been a goal or two up) but City playing some excellent football in the second half. I would like to hear what Tis said at half-time but it really put a rocket up a few arses.

Edwards has worried me recently but I thought he grew stronger and stronger and showed real leadership. Someone suggested Moxey had a bad game - from my view he and Harley worked superbly together down our left and this is where most of our creativity came from. It was really disappointing to hear the boos when Harley got MOM. He was really up for it today and played some cracking balls and had a couple of really good efforts on goal.

The only down side for me today was Saunders who looked off the pace. Give him a rest, perhaps switch Harley over to the right and bring in Murray or Obersteller.
I think we must have seen the match.

Bury should have won it in the first half, City could have done the same in the second. Just to emphasize how much the wind affected the game, for example, every time there was a Bury goal kick in the second half, the entire outfield twenty held a meeting in front of the Flybe stand.

One point from a good Bury team, not quite what we wanted, but you can't always get what you want.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Logan is no Sean Devine.
I wsn't on about Logan. I was giving refernce to why Stansfield recieved such a warm reception when he was substituted.

Last edited:

ralph

I am surprised at the amount of negativity. I really enjoyed the game today especially the second half. The wind was a huge factor in this game of two completely different halves and I think that would be reflected in the possession figures with Bury comfortably dominating the first half ( and should have been a goal or two up) but City playing some excellent football in the second half. I would like to hear what Tis said at half-time but it really put a rocket up a few arses.

Edwards has worried me recently but I thought he grew stronger and stronger and showed real leadership. Someone suggested Moxey had a bad game - from my view he and Harley worked superbly together down our left and this is where most of our creativity came from. It was really disappointing to hear the boos when Harley got MOM. He was really up for it today and played some cracking balls and had a couple of really good efforts on goal.

The only down side for me today was Saunders who looked off the pace. Give him a rest, perhaps switch Harley over to the right and bring in Murray or Obersteller.
I think we must have seen the same match.

Bury should have won it in the first half, City could have done the same in the second. Just to emphasize how much the wind affected the game, for example, every time there was a Bury goal kick in the second half, the entire outfield twenty held a meeting in front of the Flybe stand.

One point from a good Bury team, not quite what we wanted, but you can't always get what you want.