• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Burnley 2013–14 Under-21 Premier League Cup March 4th KO 7pm

Well-known Exeweb poster
You'll do well not get banned for this kind of stuff 007. Great entertainment for the less precious though :D
mate only what i found and nothing that aint true, look it up. Burnley when i went in 2008/9 Ish it was reckoned a BNP 'stronghold',at that time ish 20% of the elected town council were bnp, when i was there they were openly canvassing their 'hate ****' in the center of the town,and seemed to be openly and generally supported.
But if questioned they were just short of physically violent /aggressive. i found local business were blatantly refusing to interact with the Asian community, TBH I FOUND IT SHOCKING that modern day England could openly host such bigotry. I believe the bnp in burnley today have lost some of its popularity but i understand they still have a significant presence on the council Any way enuf of that **** :x back to football

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Burnley FC not happy with their fans appearance in Monday's C4 Dispatches programme - http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/club-statement-c4-dispatches-040314-1398273.aspx

orangeshark

I am still massively gutted about this... :( Still, very proud that we clearly have one of the country's top u21 teams, despite only having a category 3 academy

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
True Orange, if we can stay up and get these players in the right hands the future could be very good. (y).

wemissmoxey

I am still massively gutted about this... :( Still, very proud that we clearly have one of the country's top u21 teams, despite only having a category 3 academy
Worth noting that the likes of Wheeler and Keohane were nowhere near our academy.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

mate only what i found and nothing that aint true, look it up. Burnley when i went in 2008/9 Ish it was reckoned a BNP 'stronghold',at that time ish 20% of the elected town council were bnp, when i was there they were openly canvassing their 'hate ****' in the center of the town,and seemed to be openly and generally supported.
But if questioned they were just short of physically violent /aggressive. i found local business were blatantly refusing to interact with the Asian community, TBH I FOUND IT SHOCKING that modern day England could openly host such bigotry. I believe the bnp in burnley today have lost some of its popularity but i understand they still have a significant presence on the council Any way enuf of that **** :x back to football
Like quite a lot of your opinions on Burnley, it's wrong. The last BNP candidate lost her seat in 2012, so there hasn't been a single BNP representative on the council in 2 years.

Just a bit of background as to why the BNP got so many seats, because there's a lot more to it than just racial bigotry. Burnley has been a solid Labour council (and parliamentary seat) since forever. In the town centre, many of the people would not vote Conservative in any circumstance at all, and the Liberals didn't even field candidates at local elections, so the Labour candidates were virtually unopposed. Then, in reasonably quick succession:

1. The Labour mayor of town was arrested for, and pleaded guilty to, gross indecency. He was hanging around in the public toilets in a park in Nelson during half-term looking for sex. He claimed it was anti-homosexual bias that did for him. An independent on the council tabled a motion that gross indecency in a public park with children present was behaviour incompatible with being a councillor, but his Labour colleagues disagreed and voted against the motion - they believed such behaviour was fine. He resigned as mayor, but stayerd on the council and kept his other jobs, including the seat on the Public Protection Committee.

2. Several Labour councillors were suspended for sharing out council houses among their friends. A bit Shirley Porter-ish, but on a much smaller scale (houses in Burnley aren't worth what they are in Westminster!).

3. A successor Labour mayor registered both his parents to vote in local elections (there's been a lot of postal vote fraud in the area), in spite of the fact that neither lives in the country, and his mother has never even visited. His father once spent a fortnight here. The mayor claimed they lived at his own address, and when he was caught, he said it was all his daughter's fault.

What I'm saying is, BNP appeared on the scene as the only voteable option for many people at just the moment when Labour were hell-bent on making themselves unelectable. Yes, there were and still are people who support the BNP and what it stands for, but the majority of their vote was protest vote. Which is why when they came up for re-election, they dropped like dominoes, and the council is now back to Labour with a significant Liberal minority. (And a few conservatives out in the sticks.)

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Without condoning the time-wasting, which I gather was pretty bad, I would point out that Burnley's four most experienced players were away on international duty (I understand that was why Exeter were so keen to play it this week, it even went to an FA appeal to decide the date) - their experience might have curbed the excesses of the younger ones. And of course by all accounts our boys were under the cosh, and several of them are under 18, not just under 21. Experience is key.

Well-known Exeweb poster
You make Burnley sound an absolute darling of a place!!!!

and

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-112739/BNP-wins-seat-Burnley.html

angelic upstart

Worth noting that the likes of Wheeler and Keohane were nowhere near our academy.
But the vast majority, at least a dozen have been with City since they were kids.

exehausted2

I enjoyed the football and I am, of course disappointed at the result. I do think "time wasting" is not really what it is about though, it 's more about disrupting our team's rhythm and slowing the pace of the game, and I suppose that can be done within the rules anyway. Everybody who played was a young professional and as such they are obliged to do the best they can to win. Clearly just trying to match City' team at football was not going to be enough, hence they resort to as much of that disruption as possible, and hope they get lucky (which they did) - you can't expect them to roll over. However I do agree that match officials should do more - for example - one yellow for their keeper, would he have been brave enough to give a second - I doubt it!