• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Fan Owned Season Preview - Survival??

eddyman00

Hi folks,
Quick note to say last season I came to see you lose to Rochdale as part of my sad crusade to get to every single fan owned club in England and Wales last season (I failed).
Someone mentioned if I do anything to pop it on here and this is all I will put up, no ones like a spammer.

http://ontheterracesblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/exeter-city-pompey-fan-owned-season-preview/

My real reason for coming on here is can anyone tell me where it all went wrong ? If any of you have a link to a timeline of events or best forum posts to go to let me know. I've followed it fairly closely recently but although I spoke to Laurence I still have a lot of blanks I'd like filling in.

Anyway, let me know what you think and get back to me.

All the best,
Edward.

Last edited:

scottus86

Hi folks,
Quick note to say last season I came to see you lose to Rochdale as part of my sad crusade to get to every single fan owned club in England and Wales last season (I failed).
Someone mentioned if I do anything to pop it on here and this is all I will put up, no ones like a spammer.

http://ontheterracesblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/exeter-city-pompey-fan-owned-season-preview/

My real reason for coming on here is can anyone tell me where it all went wrong ? If any of you have a link to a timeline of events or best forum posts to go to let me know. I've followed it fairly closely recently but although I spoke to Laurence I still have a lot of blanks I'd like filling in.

Anyway, let me know what you think and get back to me.

All the best,
Edward.

PeteUSA is going to love this thread.

Do you mean what went wrong last season? Or what has gone wrong with the ownership model?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It all started to go wrong when Roger Conway was appointed as Club Secretary.

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
It all depends on whether you actually agree that it's all gone wrong. We're in a better position now that we were for much of the 90's and early 00's. Yes we're struggling on the pitch and financially, but that's hardly something that's restricted or can even be put down to the Trust model.

What I would say is that the lack of control from the Trust over the last 5 seasons has put us in a position that I don't think we needed to be in. Whoever rubber stamped the rumoured salary of the manager and his close back room staff should certainly question whether it was the right thing to do...but again that comes down to the club board (rather than the Trust) and a matter of how much control the Trust have over those on the club board.

David Treharne

Depends on the timescale you're talking about as well as Jan's suggestion mentioned in his post above. If you want a resume of the Decade of Trust control I can only direct you to the paper I presented at Manchester Met University last June entitled "Ten years of Trust control at Exeter City" and to forthcoming,to be published,papers that I presented this summer about who actually owns Exeter City and the notion of Collective ownership of football clubs. Personally I'd opt for the approach that you've taken, as academic papers whilst fulfilling an obligation to publish, tend to be rather tedious. I'd also endorse the second paragraph of Jan's post as being the central issue that faces the Trust at Exeter at the moment.

eddyman00

Hi folks,
Cheers for all the replies. Yes I do mean the ownership model, is it fair to say the Trust have been losing control over the club. I don't mean in terms of shares but in the fact the Club board seems to view the trust as a group only to be consulted in the same way a council 'consults' residents. David if you have a link for your paper or presentation at the Uni that would be very helpful.
On the pitch, are you guys staying up?

ChrisWickens

Jan and David have echoed my thoughts precisely.

And yes, we will survive in the league; there will be a few scary moments I am sure, but about 16th sounds right to me!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally I'd opt for the approach that you've taken, as academic papers whilst fulfilling an obligation to publish, tend to be rather tedious.
Dr Dave - Like Eddyman I'd appreciate a link.

(I can cope with tedious. After all on another thread I've just read 81 posts from Friend of Roger Conway and 85 from his fellow traveller 'LoyalGrecian'. It can't be more tedious than that can it?)

eddyman00

Jan and David have echoed my thoughts precisely.

And yes, we will survive in the league; there will be a few scary moments I am sure, but about 16th sounds right to me!
I suppose the question you have then is who is going down instead. Accrington never drop out now and Dag & Redbridge are able to pick up alot of young talent due to their location.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
It all started to go wrong when Roger Conway was appointed as Club Secretary.
It all started to go wrong when we decided to go on a pre-season jolly to Brazil rather than knuckling down to some proper PSFs against class opposition such as The Wednesday or Woolwich Arsenal. I mean WTF was Chadders thinking?