• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City A.F.C. v Morecambe A.F.C. Official Match Day Thread.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, but without the penalty they might have scored. Who knows?
That's what I said,but we might have scored despite not getting the penalty.Therefore,Its not a guarantee of a win.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most of us go to matches at the park and attend, not only to win but be entertained, and for a large number of home games this season performances have provided neither, just like the previous four years, so it is no wonder fans feel frustration.
Sorry, but if you didn't leave SJP yesterday feeling entertained then, dare I suggest, you should probably try another sport. Admittedly, we weren't at our best for a lot of the game, but the final 10 minutes produced drama of the highest order.

What, exactly, are you expecting from a League Two football club... Barca-like total football from the first minute to the last?!

I guess if you were a Man U fan you'd have been complaining after the 1999 Champions League win that they hadn't played very well for the first 89-odd minutes. Enjoy the bleedin' moment!

Last edited:

CC

We were poor for the first 15 minutes and Morecambe had most of the ball without really creating anything.

After the tactical switch we improved but still didn't put much together, and most of anything positive came down the right flank through Grant. Best chance we had was when Taylor totally miskicked a scissor kick 8 yards out and the follow up was blocked - within 30 seconds they had broken through down the other end and Pym had to come out quickly and make a great block.

Apart from a great cross from Taylor that Watkins just couldn't get anything on that was it for the first half. Morecambe looked tidy if fairly unthreatening but I remember thinking if we played like this in League 1 we'd be lucky to get double figure points in the season.

Second half started brighter and from the Old Grandstand I couldn't work out how the first goal went in, it was only after looking at the highlights it was clear and it explained why Wheeler was so embarrassed to celebrate the goal!

This was totally the opposite to the equaliser when Ellison hit a tremendous strike, one of the best goals I've seen at SJP. He'd only been on 5 minutes or so but had already caused problems with quality deliveries.
After this it was fairly even, but they always seemed more controlled with us favouring the long ball. Grant, who would have scored goal of the season if he hadn't shinned it wide from the edge of the box after running from half way shortly after the first goal, had swapped to the left and drifted out of the game before being replaced by Holmes. Reid replaced Ampadu who had looked calm and finally McAlinden came on for Watkins. Watkins had shown flashes but wouldn't have won Young player of the Year on that performance.
I had settled for a point before 5 minutes injury time was shown and when Reid showed good skill to play a one-two and get into the box before going down it did really seem a bonus. Watching a replay he did well to use his body to protect the ball but I'd have been aggrieved if it had been against us.
The third was great determination by McAlinden although I thought he was going to fall over the ball about 5 times before he finally shot!

Overall we were lucky but can't knock the result. Their keeper threw the first one in which really helped but we looked pretty solid at the back with only a couple of decent chances for them apart from the unbelievable goal that they did score. I feel we'll have to do better in the last two games to pick up any more points though.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry, but if you didn't leave SJP yesterday feeling entertained then, dare I suggest, you should probably try another sport. Admittedly, we weren't at our best for a lot of the game, but the final 10 minutes produced drama of the highest order.

What, exactly, are you expecting from a League Two football club... Barca-like total football from the first minute to the last?!

I guess if you were a Man U fan you'd have been complaining after the 1999 Champions League win that they hadn't played very well for the first 89-odd minutes. Enjoy the bleedin' moment!
Behave yourself Egg. Yesterday, up until Reuben's penalty, was bloody rubbish. If you left entertained then dare I suggest you're easily pleased and pretty much anything in red and white stripes leaves you jumping up and down and clapping frantically.

Our passing was all over the place. Ampadu, wheeler, Watkins, JMT and Harley were all way below par. The formation was poor, the line-up worse. The substitutions were lucky. Morecambe, with absolutely nothing to play for, decided the best thing to do was to spoil the game at every opportunity with timewasting and feigning injury and the referee decided we'd all paid to see him so it was therefore imperative he made sure we noticed him throughout. If that's what floats your boat then perhaps it's best we don't go up because you're going to hate the better standard of football on offer further up the leagues.

IndoMike

I think the team selection and style of play are important though for energizing the supporters. Of course nobody is comparing with Barca and nobody expects flowing football for 90 minutes every game. But the general trend at home has been to be cautious about the opposition and to be a bit boring. It's true that the Yeovil and Morecambe game have produced excitement at the very end of the game and shows good fighting spirit from the team, usually ignited by Reid coming on to play. But the overall picture is that for a City team in 5th place the average attendance has not increased substantially since we crept into the playoffs. So does the end justify the means? I think nobody is right or wrong, whatever their opinion is.

iscalad

We have been extremely lucky in recent weeks with 6 goals in the final minutes in 3 games yielding us 6 points we could not reasonably have expected to accumulate near the end of these matches. Whilst we can't complain it is certainly not sustainable and we have to learn to take control of games and not surrender the initiative , as we did today and have done all season with rare exceptions. If we reach the play-offs,as now seems highly likely, for goodness sake Paul Tisdale select sides that grab the game by the scruff of the neck from the outset. Last minute wins don't happen indefinitely.
Tis commented we played well - we didn't !
He said Harley played well - he didn't , in fact his dithering in the second half ,when he lost the ball ,was similar to two previous instances when goals resulted!
Why is this lucky? Once maybe, but in 3 games!

Pete Martin (CTID)

........But the overall picture is that for a City team in 5th place the average attendance has not increased substantially since we crept into the playoffs.
The AVERAGE attendance has barely altered for 50 years and the failure to build attendances in recent years IS down to generally lethargic and pedestrian performances at home but, more so, to the ease of watching top class football at home on the box. People do come to SJP and compare. It's a fact of life. Also, there is not the groundswell of football loving support in this part of the country. More success and a revamped SJP will help but I'm highly sceptical that, even if we ever got into the second tier, we would regularly attract more than 6/7,000. I'm not being negative, just realistic.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Have you seen the goals the Morecambe keeper conceeded? I know they count, and its a wonderful result, but it could have been so different if their keeper hadnt been crap, and Reids knack of 'winning' penalties hadnt worked.
And if my aunty had balls she would be my uncle.

As for Reid's "knack of winning penalties" its happened what twice ? what would you have said if the first won he had given was at the first game of the season and that one yesterday 3 from the end of the season would you still be implying he does this on a regular basis ? ...... Behave

malcolms

And if my aunty had balls she would be my uncle.

As for Reid's "knack of winning penalties" its happened what twice ? what would you have said if the first won he had given was at the first game of the season and that one yesterday 3 from the end of the season would you still be implying he does this on a regular basis ? ...... Behave
It happens everywhere so why wouldn't we celebrate having a player who can "win" penalties. However let's at least recognise it for what it is.

IndoMike

The AVERAGE attendance has barely altered for 50 years and the failure to build attendances in recent years IS down to generally lethargic and pedestrian performances at home but, more so, to the ease of watching top class football at home on the box. People do come to SJP and compare. It's a fact of life. Also, there is not the groundswell of football loving support in this part of the country. More success and a revamped SJP will help but I'm highly sceptical that, even if we ever got into the second tier, we would regularly attract more than 6/7,000. I'm not being negative, just realistic.
I don't have the stats for the last 50 years but I will take your word for it. But I would expect a gradual increase in attendances over the last 5-6 games as a team threatening the playoffs. I am confused why the attendance was below 4k yesterday and genuinely disappointed. I would like to know your take on it. Was there a big rugby game, holiday or something?