• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter and Nuneaton players

He was our manager last time we played you. Now lives in America, I met him last year to induct him in Boro's Hall Of Fame and he is a lovely guy with millions of stories to tell. he failed to mention that he had played for you guys though!
Seems we have a lot of shared history!

Mike Blackstone

Joe McClure made 5 Football League appearances for Exeter City between 1934 and 1936, and left the Grecians to take over as player manager at Nuneaton.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
and playing at places we had never even heard of - Arlesley anyone?, no didn;t think so).
Oi, cheeky git! ;) We had the distinct privilege of playing Arlesley in the 3rd Round of the FA Trophy in our inaugural season down in the purgatory that was the Conference :(

NB: City won 3-0 (we were at home though), before going out in the next round at the home of our traditional Hampshire nemesis :(

Last edited:

Mike Blackstone

Oi, cheeky git! ;) We had the distinct privilege of playing Arlesley in the 3rd Round of the FA Trophy in our inaugural season down in the purgatory that was the Conference :(

NB: City won 3-0 (we were at home though), before going out in the next round at the home of our traditional Hampshire nemesis :(
It was actually in the 5th round.

angelic upstart

Hullablue,

Is it true that Muhammed Ali opened a new stand or ground of yours in the 80's?

borofan

Just out of interest to Town/Boro fans, is this game like a really big deal to you guys? I mean is it likely to be a sell out crowd at your end? Just cuz i seem to remember being impressed watching your lot take on Midboro a few years back and was wondering how playing City ranks to the community? I'd guess its been a while since we've been the giant against the minnow( i dont include Curzon as i have treid to banish it from my memory)

well playing against exeter does not rank with playing middlesborough as Im sure you will agree but playing exeter will certainly put the BORO back into the public eye once again and we will get a big gate saturday the glamour of the FA CUP still works its magic

Hullablue,

Is it true that Muhammed Ali opened a new stand or ground of yours in the 80's?
No, the stand was older than he was, but he did come along as a guest of honour, in the back of a convertable car, throwing signed tennis balls out to the crowd. One of my earliest Boro memories.
The reason many think it was for a stand opening was Alan Carr said that was the reason, but it was not.
It was a Midland Floodlit Cup Final (on a saturday afternoon ...) against Bedworth, we drew 2-2 and shared the trophy

angelic upstart

Thanks for that. A mate of mine said it ages ago, I thought it rubbish, but he seemed pretty convinced.

Pretty cool that though.

Wellyred

Just remembered that Dudley Kernick has been connected with both clubs as well. Played for Exeter City in 1945-46. I believe after leaving Nuneaton he became commercial manager at Stoke City?
Great memory mike....but really think you ought to get out more.

Thanks for that. A mate of mine said it ages ago, I thought it rubbish, but he seemed pretty convinced.

Pretty cool that though.
And George Best played for us once, around the same sort of time. We were THE glam side in the early 80s!