• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ever wondered what the first league City game was when you were born?

The mighty Grecian

Born a day after our 2-1 loss away to Doncaster in the old 4th division 1988/1989 season

contrabombarde

Born a day after our 2-1 loss away to Doncaster in the old 4th division 1988/1989 season
I remember that one well. A group of Doncaster hooligans were lobbing bottles onto the top of the stand and after the match they tailed our car looking very menacing until we lost them.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
A 1-1 draw away at Newport on my 2nd day..

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hmm Played on 30th Dec and 13th Jan. I was born on the 6th, so I guess the game was FA cup 3rd round.
Looked it up. 3-3 draw away at Grimsby. Won the replay 4-2. We then drew at home against Chelsea and lost the replay 2-0.

les.gtfc

We won 5-1 at Oldham in the first game after I was born!

Tricky898

Beat Torquay at home the day after I was born. Not bad

exile in wales

on the day i entered this big wide world City drew 0-0 with Workington in the league and guess what !!!!! it rained..

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lost at Bradford 3 days before and Lost at Newport 4 days after.

I notice on 1st April 1974 it says
"Exeter City failed to turn up and Scunthorpe United awarded two points" What happened there then?!

Not the last time a City side has failed to turn up, but I assume it means literally.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Day after the 2-1 win at home to Fulham in 1995. Apparently we scored a cracker?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lost at Bradford 3 days before and Lost at Newport 4 days after.

I notice on 1st April 1974 it says
"Exeter City failed to turn up and Scunthorpe United awarded two points" What happened there then?!

Not the last time a City side has failed to turn up, but I assume it means literally.
Due to injuries and illness we didn't have a fit XI. The football league didn't believe and so wouldn't allow us to have a postponement. We didn't travel and so was fined £5k.