• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bring back vuvuzelas.
No way and I hope you wrote this with your tongue firmly in your cheek
No way and, if they do, I hope you blow yours with your tongue firmly in your cheek

Pobbop

I'm afraid Chelsea sold him cheap to help bring in tons of flops, they may regret that now, and we certainly will regret the money we could have had, but probably worked well for Ethan if Leeds can make it to the Prem, rather than be loaned to another struggling side.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
No way and, if they do, I hope you blow yours with your tongue firmly in your cheek
You can keep your tongues well away from my cheeks. Thanks all the same.

andrew p long

There is beleived to be a clause that Chelsea will receive another payment (20% of which comes to City) if Leeds get promoted. And there might be sell on clauses where Leeds will give Chelsea any profit they make on Ethan when (if) they sell him of which City would get 20 pecent of what Chelsea receive.
It was widely reported that the fee paid to Chelsea for Ethan was £7m *rising to £10m*. So having received £1.4m last summer, we'd get another 600k if the £3m add ons pay out in full.

The commercial logic for add ons for top Championship sides is compelling - in that there is a huge benefit (£100m+?) if they are promoted to the Premier League. So it makes sense for much of the add on to be payable based on promotion to the Premiership. I'd be very surprised if wasn't at least half of the £3m.

Reinforcing this was Nick Hawker saying at a forum (or Trust meeting?) that City fans should want Leeds (and Peterborough) to do well this season - plainly a reference to the possibility of further payments to ECFC.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm afraid Chelsea sold him cheap to help bring in tons of flops, they may regret that now, and we certainly will regret the money we could have had, but probably worked well for Ethan if Leeds can make it to the Prem, rather than be loaned to another struggling side.
Chelsea also sold at least one player last summer to a Saudi side for a questionably inflated fee which then reduced their need to maximise the fee for Ethan.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Chelsea got what they could get for him after 3 seasons of mediocre contributions to relegation sides

ExeterCraic

Video highlighting what sort of player Ampadu now is for those of you who may not have seen him play recently.

Rosencrantz

Chelsea got what they could get for him after 3 seasons of mediocre contributions to relegation sides
Although those clubs got relegated, I don't think the fans of those clubs would recognise Amp's contributions as "mediocre". He generally seemed to be regarded as one of the better performers in those teams from what I have seen.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although those clubs got relegated, I don't think the fans of those clubs would recognise Amp's contributions as "mediocre". He generally seemed to be regarded as one of the better performers in those teams from what I have seen.
Maybe so, I can't claim to have watched a lot of Verona... but the fee is the fee. He wasn't on a lot of monied clubs radars at the time and would be very surprised if Chelsea let him go to Leeds for anything less than the most they felt they could've got.

Rosencrantz

Maybe so, I can't claim to have watched a lot of Verona... but the fee is the fee. He wasn't on a lot of monied clubs radars at the time and would be very surprised if Chelsea let him go to Leeds for anything less than the most they felt they could've got.
Maybe so, but I don't think you can judge Amp's to have had "mediocre" seasons without really knowing 😉